Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

So i had this idea...

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Jenos, Apr 20, 2011

1. Mar 25, 2011
    On my next map i want to utilize two main factors, fear and length. I've been studying what normally spooks people, and I've found three things, left turns, isolation, and helplessness. I like my maps to have a them and/or be based off something, so i thought, hmm what's one game that scares the shit out of everyone who has played it. Staring me right in the face was a slack-jawed, fish faced pale zombie with a chainsaw tied to its right arm... AMNESIA! A great theme (At least i think so) to base a zombie escape map off. This is also still on the drawing board, I'm still planning it out and need some help with ideas.

Basically I need to know how to match the amnesia storyline with a storyline in ZE. obviously i can make zombie come out of a random door using logic case, and i certainly will use this method to keep people on their toes. But i want the first minute or two of the escape to be spent in isolation with 2-3 other players, i know from experience on ze maps (one map had a bug that caused this to happen) that there's a lot more tension/stress when your alone. Lighting is also going to be a HUGE factor, as will screen overlays (To mimic the insanity). The map will also have to require separation, teamwork, and minor puzzle solving. This means ONE group defending, One group solving the puzzle, and the last group provides help wherever it is needed. And of course i plan something a little special for the end :smile:.

Parts i PLAN on including:
    • Front hall
    • Water room
    • Inner Sanctum
    • Torcher chambers
    • Both the Choir and the... other one.... AH the Transept.
    • And of course that teleporting room.
    • (And the tunnels leading in between, maybe i will include the sewer part, maybe not.)
    Like i said, this is still on the drawing board, i don't plan on starting until my other map is tested etc blablabla. (maybe i will start this weekend? friday? depends).
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    Sounds awesome lol, I was thinking about amnesia right when i clicked this.
  3. Feb 12, 2011
    Can you also add random events, so not every round you'll get scared (or eventually not anymore) of the same thing?
  4. Mar 25, 2011
    Yeah, for example. round 1, you running along, in the opposite room (which has a wide open door thingy) the zombies will spawn (out of site of course) and when the zombies come out of that room they will go through a trigger, which unlocks a different door and different path. this works the opposite way and with multiple combinations (up to ten). This is incredibly stressful for humans because zombie are spawning in front of them, playing this map would require concentration constantly, as would playing amnesia.I forgot to mention ambient noises are also a huge part, they will probably come in randomly at different stages with logic_case.
  5. Mar 25, 2011
    Here is a video of what I've been testing lately:

That's obviously the lantern, the lantern has two purposes (one for each team): for the zombies, it provides a sort of way-point to lead the to the humans/leader. For the humans, it has an E function, which pushes zombies back (it pushed JUST over the run speed) for quick escapes, the effect lasts 30 seconds and is one use only.

The torch is also going to trigger other events, such as separation (when the torch gets to a certain point rocks will fall and separate the team into two groups, if things work as planned, the guy with the lantern will be very alone.) It may also be key for the zombies to get rid of the torch (i don't know why yet, maybe it will be part of solving a puzzle)
  6. Feb 20, 2011
    Just remember, that if the level involves puzzle solving, whilst people defend, odds are that everyone will try to pile into the puzzle room, probably screwing it up by 20 people simaltaneously doing it. Inevitably failing because only something like 3 Humans stayed behind to defend.