Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Some early presents from my grandfather

Discussion in Entertainment started by Reaper, Aug 21, 2011

1. Jan 5, 2007
    So today I helped my grandparents pack things and move them to their new house, and in the process my grandfather told me I could keep a few things for myself.
    I've been trying to find some decent quality ammo cans for a while now, and he just happened to have a few sitting there in his basement that he wanted to get rid of. So I kindly offered them a new home, and got them all cleaned up and ready to use for storing my ammo. Now, I was happy enough with just the standard ammo cans, but there was still something else he was wanting to get rid of. So, I went to the other room to go get it, and was met with a pleasant surprise.
    He had a 20mm ammo can that stored ammo for an M39 cannon used in old fighters. As you can see when it's next to the regular cans, it's quite large. Now I'll have an excuse to buy even more ammo to fill it up. :grin:

Just figured I would share this with everyone, since I know there's a few people on here who are into the military and firearms. Sorry for the crappy picture quality, had to use my phone and the lighting is not the best in here. I still need to clean the cans more, only gave them a quick wipe-down with a rag to get most of the dirt and dust off.

Edit: To give you a better idea of the size of them, the .30cal cans(smaller ones in the pictures) are about 10"x7"x3" dimensions. So that should help to give you a better idea of the size of the 20mm can.
  2. Jul 14, 2011
    Awesome! Let the bullets fly! :thumbsup: :devil:
  3. Jan 5, 2007
    Oh I plan to once I can get a membership for the range that's just down the street. I might have to see about getting my grandfather's M1 Garand and M1 Carbine from my uncle's place. Uncle doesn't really have anywhere that he can take them to shoot, and I've been wanting to get those rifles for years now. Hopefully I can get some time to clean them then pick up a couple boxes of ammo to take to the range.

I really need to find out more about the 20mm can though. It's the first time I've really seen one up close in that size, and I have not once seen them being sold anywhere, either online or in a surplus store.
  4. Mar 26, 2011
    Holy shit that's a lot of bullets! KILL ZOMBIES TIME!!!! :thumbsup:
  5. Jan 5, 2007
    I know right? The .30cal cans hold a couple hundred 7.62mm rounds, and that 20mm can can fit those three cans with room to spare. So if you do the math on it, that's a ton of ammo I can store in a small place. I should be able to hold off a small zombie horde for a while. :razz:
  6. Aug 18, 2006
    Fucking awesome. Have fun! :thumbsup:
  7. Aug 1, 2011
    Heh, i find it amusing to see how excited you are from getting 'new' ammo cans. Doing what i do for a living, i find these cans annoying and often just throw them out since we have too many of them.
  8. Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks, I plan to.

If you don't want them, you're welcome to save them to send to me. I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. And compared to most of the 'real' cans I've seen elsewhere, these ones are in pretty good shape. I know I'm a little excited about them right now, but I'm also a pretty big fan of military things, considering my family has a military history going back generations on both sides.

I also decided to snap a quick picture with the three smaller cans stacked inside the large one.
    You can see that it leaves plenty of room still for another can or two, so it's going to be quite fun filling that thing up.
  9. Mar 11, 2011
    u need to get explosice crates their kinda like foot lockers but built way stronger to store those in i have one ive had for 21 years now
  10. Jan 12, 2011
    That is awesome. :tard:

I'm curious - While you can stick tons of ammo in those cans, what about packing in other kinds of things in them? Like whole guns/ dismantled guns/ gun parts/ accessories/ special ammo (if legal)/ explosives (if legal)? Obviously each would need it's own packing but I'm just wondering how versatile those are for storing other kinds of things.
  11. Jan 5, 2007
    You can use them for virtually anything provided it can fit inside. They have rubber gaskets around the inside of the lids, so they seal up to be air and water-tight. Just stick what you want to store in them, toss in a desiccant pack, and seal it up. The desiccant will help keep them dry inside by absorbing any moisture. They really are a pretty neat little container if you don't mind the weight. Good thing about 'real' ones too is the bottom is recessed so they can stack on top of each other easily without the carry handle on the lid getting in the way.
  12. Jan 12, 2011
    Ooo neato!

Actually, I just thought if you got a few more of them, you could designate one for emergency supplies/ apocalypse survival kit. Bandages, flashlight, and gun + ammo. :grin:
  13. Jan 5, 2007
    Was already planning on making a "World War Z survival kit" in the near future. Can never be too prepared for when the walking dead come knocking at your door. :thumbsup: