Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Some Questions for New Build

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by N B K, Feb 21, 2013

1. Mar 19, 2011
    So I'd thought I'd make this thread so I can post some questions that might arise rather than having to post as a status since you guys have been very helpful and continue to be very helpful. :smirk:

Would 750W be enough wattage to CF 7970s while OC'd, OC a 3570k to 4.6-4.7, along with a HDD, SSD, and a possible sound card? I'm looking at a very good deal for a Seasonic Fully Modular PSU and would really like to purchase it if is enough to power everything.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    I've went over this type of question (2500k with crossfire 7950's all OC'd) about the Corsair AX750 vs the AX850 with a bunch of guys on Tom's Hardware. It's pushing the limit, especially if everything is overclocked that much. The fact that they're 7970's too and not 7950's makes it even more of a problem. If you weren't overclocking, it'd be fine, but since you're overclocking, you don't want to be pushing it. Also, since I don't trust Seasonic for shit, I doubt their 750W would be better than the AX750 from Corsair. So my opinion? No, don't risk it.
  3. Mar 19, 2011
    Yeah this was my thoughts as well but for the price it was listed, and it being fully modular I kind of wanted to take a chance but I'd better off going with higher Wattage rather than taking a chance, I heard the X-series has bad coil whine anyways.
  4. Feb 21, 2007
    as Brett said, short answer: no, I'd get a 1kw psu.
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    A good 850W supply like the Corsair Professional Series AX850 Gold will run it no problem. If you're looking for a lot of headroom, just pick up the Rosewill 1000W Bronze. It's like $120-$130 probably right now, I picked it up for $100 on a deal last year. It has been running great and have never run into a problem with it. There's a nice blue LED on it that's quite faint and adds just a little blue accent to your case (depending on which way the fan is facing). It also has a setting where, even when the computer is turned off, it'll run for another 30-45sec to cool the rest of it down to extend it's lifetime. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188
  6. Mar 20, 2011
    Just get a 1000w PSU and be done with it. They really are not that much more and gives your room for additional growth.
  7. Feb 21, 2007
    Ya, i was just thinking the below, future upgrades
  8. Jun 11, 2012
    I can't take you seriously with your new avatar, or maybe I take too seriously?

As said, the future is upon yonders. Get better gear today for a better tomorrow.
  9. Mar 19, 2011
    Alright well thanks for the input guys, I will be going with a 900-1000W PSU hopefully I can pick up one on sale.
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    What would take more power than a 3570k @ max OC and two 7970's OC'd? lol. If he upgraded it'd just be replacing CPU's/GPU's which wouldn't raise power draw. I don't see much else that could be added to a beast like that.
  11. May 14, 2011

TDPs:

3570k @ 5Ghz = 119W
    7970 reference GHz Edition Average Load = 314W
    Hard-drives (per) = ~20W
    SSD (per) = ~2W
    Sound Card = ~10W

Total = 779W

Crossfire'd cards take up less power than single cards running so you would possibly fit at just 750W

You must remember that anything plugged into a USB port takes power, any ODDs, your motherboard, any fans (1-2W each).

You would want to add a sold 100W on top of that for extras

You would also want to be towards to peak efficiency of a power supply and that's usually towards the middle.

Conclusion; get a 1000W PSU.
  12. Mar 19, 2011
    Any recommendations for a 7950/7970? I'd like to pay less than $340/$400 respectively. I have been looking at this card
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1302

It's a shame this card is voltage locked (AFAIK) and won't get the best possible OC but I guess you have to compromise a bit though you shouldn't have to at this price. I see going with 7950s as a very viable option at this point since I will be able to OC both and get great value just slight less overall power than the 7970s.
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Tomorrow's CPU lineup and video card series.
  14. Feb 4, 2011

I would get one w/ a single 12 V rail..... seasonic, pc power and cooling
    epi1to10000, Feb 22, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, Feb 22, 2013
  15. Dec 6, 2011
    Just make sure you have a case with good directional airflow with that card, because that cooler just spreads heat all over the case.

Every upgrade doesn't mean more power draw. Such as, the 7970 blows the 6970 away in graphics performance, but can still run efficiently on a 550W PSU. For the 3570k (the predecessor to the 2500k), it's thermal design power is at 77W, while the 2500k is at 95W, with the 3570k being an upgraded Ivy Bridge version to the 2500k.

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here. Single rail or multiple rails does not matter.

Also, Seagate makes Hard Drives, and PC Power and Cooling can't be trusted for shit.
  16. Mar 19, 2011
    I've made my decision :] Going with the 3GB Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X cards, good reviews and yeah I picked up a define r4 and going to add some good case fans.
  17. Feb 4, 2011
    PC power and cooling and OCZ are the same company; and the PSU they rebrand from Seasonic are usualy good. 5 manufactures make 95% of all the PSU's and everyone else slaps their name on them.
    All the multi rail psu's I have used have burnt out in under 6 months cuz they cant handle the the frequent spikes in current. I run the GPUs at 99% for days/weeks though.

If you don't trust seasonic then who do you trust? I haven't ever had a single seasonic fail but maybe im lucky.
    http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html

P.S. Seasonic makes the Corsair AX850/750
    epi1to10000, Feb 22, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, Feb 22, 2013
  18. Dec 6, 2011
    Niiice man. You're tempting me to buy a new card for the 700 series release, but since it's just a Kepler refresh, I don't want to bother wasting money on just a 10-15% performance increase. I'm going to hold off until Maxwell in 2014.

First off, this is old news.

You also said Seagate, not Seasonic, not sure where I said anything about not trusting Seasonic. I'd rather have OCZ not own PC Power and Cooling for the fact that many of OCZ's products have been very unstable, such as the SSDs, the RevoDrives, and some series of their PSUs.

The Silencer Series has been crap compared to others, even quoted from the wiki link you posted: "The Silencer series is good, although their are better Seasonic built units available, that are also quieter and better value."

The power supplies are built to standards for each company as well, you must remember that. This is why the AX850 is better than the Silencer MKIII 850, even though they're the same price. Not all Seasonics are the same.

There's no need for an instant rant of butthurt because I disagreed with your post, though you should take this comment to Tom's Harware and let THEM tear you a new one: "All the multi rail psu's I have used have burnt out in under 6 months cuz they cant handle the the frequent spikes in current."

Or just read a post from JohnnyGURU himself: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990
  19. Feb 4, 2011
    I have run 4 to 6 GPU's per mobo.
    epi1to10000, Feb 22, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, Mar 27, 2014