Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Some questions for those who have any experience with PS4

Discussion in Gaming started by SubDelt@, Jun 5, 2016

How are you today?

Great! 1 vote(s) 11.1%
Good. Good. 3 vote(s) 33.3%
I'm ok. 1 vote(s) 11.1%
Could be better. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Life sucks -_- 4 vote(s) 44.4%
  1. Feb 12, 2012
    I hope I created this thread in a right section.

So, I have a few questions about PS4. I tried to google them, but the answers were a bit vague. So, just to be sure, I'll ask you, guys, and will be very grateful if you provide me with some answers.

1. If I buy a physical copy (a disc) of a UK edition of a game from UK (lets say, from Amazon), will it, in addition to obvious English, contain other european languages?
    2. If I buy a physical copy of a game in a european country that has the county's native language localization, will it also contain English localization?
    3. If a game has multiple localizations available, will I be able to simply switch both text and voice language in options of the game, or I'll have to use complicated tricks like changing system language in order to do so?
    4. If I buy a game in some certain country, will I still be able to play it if I move to another country? Are there any regional restrictions?

As an additional question: can anyone tell me what are the differences between revisions 1208 and 1216? Some sources say that the only difference is the HDD disc space (1208 has 500Gb total while 1216 has 1Tb), others say that 1216 has smaller weight and physical sizes and slightly improved performance compared to 1208. Which one is accurate?

That's all for now. Again, I'll be very grateful for your answers.
  2. Jul 20, 2010
    1. That all depends on the developer/publisher. I have a game that I bought here in the States that gives me the option for English, French or Spanish as a language to play with it. Some games have more or just 1-2 languages. If you want to be safe just look up the game and see what languages it does support. Generally speaking they will have 2-4 major languages to pick from.

2. This also has to deal with the publisher. If the publisher wants to have the native language in that country or just English it's up to the publisher. So it's hit or miss on games depending on the publisher.

3. If the game has multiple localization's then you just pick on the game what language and it will swap everything over for you. You won't have to touch the system settings.

4. There are no region locks on games.

Not sure what the difference is between them sorry. Only thing I'm seeing is that its supposed to be the same hardware/firmware.
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Jun 17, 2014

Thought that said PC, not PS4. -.-

However -
      Ever Sony console I've ever owned detected the system regions and set the language for me.

As far as the 1208 & 1216,

The 1TB is apparently around 10% lighter, and uses 26.8 less watts. (148.6W - 500 GB vs 122W - 1TB)

As far as I can tell, The performance is right about the same.
      Brandon, Jun 5, 2016 Last edited by Brandon, Jun 5, 2016
    • Feb 12, 2012

Just to clarify, after asking around I found out that 1216 is indeed lighter and more power efficient. Though, HDD space doesn't have anything to do with revisions. I saw both 1208 with 1Tb and 1216 with 500Gb, so the hard drive space is not determined by revisions.

But now I have other questions though.

So, today I found out about that wonderful thing called PS Plus. A 2 years old video on YT told me that apparently you can't play multiplayer without having a PS Plus subscription, you can't have your saves stored online without it, you can't be sure your account is secure without it etc. Currently, 2 years later, is that all still true? Am I the only one who thinks that packing multiplayer into a "pay-every-month" DLC in a game that you already paid for is a bit of a dick move, or that after you already bought the console you have to pay them so they don't f up and give away your account details to some 6 y. o. on accident?
      Also, this is a very serious question. Did I get it right: you have to own a PS Plus subscription in order to have system software and game updates? I can understand having some exclusive offers like discounts or early access to some big titles, but fundamental stuff like this...
    • Jun 11, 2012
      You can play most MP games without the subscriptions. I'll have to double check for Destiny and The Division. TLOU worked great without it.

You can do anything you want and get anything you want without PS Plus. (updates, apps, etc..)
    • Jun 18, 2012
      I was curious cause of Bendher and did a bagoogle: https://www.playstation.com/en-au/g...-benefits/information-about-playstation-plus/

As it seems you're right and still need to fork out for online non-synchronous games (so pretty much anything but Hearthstone). I also agree that it's a ripoff but apparently people go with it for the free PS plus games, which you'll have access to as long as you pay for your PS Plus subscription.

As for the games, I think in the EU, any physical game you buy runs in English once you turn the system settings to English? I've heard stories from a lot of people in my country (Dutchlandia) where they order games from Italy, the UK, Germany, France and Spain, and I doubt everyone speaks these languages so fluent...

And this I remember about a discussion I read about nearly a year ago. I wouldn't know how much has changed since and if the earlier models are phased out by now. But apparently the newer models are less noisy/ generate less heat/ and are lighter. Clicky ----->
      via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUX9Oa1d9qA

All in all I'd say, screw sony! :wink: Buy a WiiU with free online and then upgrade your PC for ultra High def. 24K goodness. Also, there's been rumours about Sony releasing the PS ''neo'' apparently it'll run/stream 4K and some more stuff to compete with the new Xbox revision, possibly with Nintendo's NX next year and to be able to run VR.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      The Free games are totally worth it. I have like 20 free games and 10 of them are AAA titles.