Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

something that could never be more accurate

Discussion in Entertainment started by Anathema, Jul 30, 2013

1. Feb 18, 2011
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    I agree, some bronies are pretty overly obsessive. It's absolutely sickening and appalling how they act. Now, don't get me wrong, not everybody who watches the show is ridiculous like in the video, but the majority are. I used to watch the show, and i still think it's a good show, but the bronies are what drove me away from it.
  3. Feb 18, 2011
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    I watch whatever I want and don't care about the stigma that is behind it. Why stop watching something you like? You don't see me not watching my favorite Power Puff Girls episodes, do you?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Apr 3, 2013
      [IMG]
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Feb 3, 2012
      • Jan 12, 2011

I can't stress this enough. I'd like to also stress the difference between obsessive and creepy. The above is just creepy. But for many people, and for the shows they like, there's nothing wrong with being obsessive. Dying to see the next episode of the show or being excited for the next comic issue of something is fine. In fact, it really supports a franchise or series. Most people who see a show can like or dislike it to varying degrees, and of the people who like it there's a spectrum of people who are willing to invest their time and money to really get into it. Some people are willing to spend a little and others a lot. That itself doesn't entirely represent one's interest in a show, but its just one means of demonstrating how into it they are.

Others like to study the show - the world, the people, and the dynamics between them. This has been done to silly levels for other things like Star Trek, Halo, and etc., so I see no problem with it here. Amassing an encyclopedic knowledge of something also isn't that weird - it just serves to further explain the show/movie/game/whatever and then draw connections to things, be it our world or others.

Generally, the longer something goes the more there is for someone to learn, explain, enjoy, and collect. I have no shame saying that I have some pony merc from watching and enjoying MLP, since it supports the show and hopefully ensures it can continue, but I also find it troubling that the more extreme ends of the fandom seem to garner the most attention for being weird. Why? Because the stigma it generates is so easy to rip into, due to our culture and upbringings on how people should behave. Since it creates an image most people can agree is weird/wrong (including other fans of the show), it unfairly assumes the title of the whole and dismisses the opinions of the rest. What makes matters worse is when this kind of over-representation happens, it drives the more moderate/lesser interested fans into a hole to avoid undue harassment from the assumption that we're all like that, thereby skewing the perspective further since counter-examples become harder to find.

My point is, I feel more people need to look a bit more under the surface of things and be considerate of what others choose to watch, or at least try show some restraint when they might otherwise denounce the people they think are weird.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Feb 18, 2011
          its just a joke lol nobody really thinks people are like that
        • Feb 8, 2013
          well...since were all talking about ponies and realz and stuff
        • Feb 27, 2012
          I see things how they are, not how people/things make them look.

I also think that the people who "obsess" over bashing the show are just as bad as the people who are "overly obsessive" about the show. In most cases, from both sides (1. overly obsessive 2. overly hating) they are just trying to troll each other. All i got from the OP was "Get mad brony fags lols!"

Seriously, if you don't like the show, then cool, don't like it. Nothings stopping you from ignoring it. If you like the show, then cool, like it. Nothings stopping you from watching it. Both sides just need to keep it to themselves.
        • Mar 30, 2012
          The real difference is if you make a big deal of it in real life.
          I mean, everyone I'm related to IRL know about my pony shit. But they don't care, because i don't make a fuzz out of it.

The day i go to a god damn MC Donalds to sing "Winter Wrap Up" is the day i officially give everyone the right to just shoot me.
        • Mar 14, 2013
          but MLP has soo many dynamic characters and the plot is very moving and is clearly very important to fans of the series

"Meanwhile civil unrest contines over in egypt"
        • Jan 12, 2011
          While brony acceptance has gone up a bit over the last couple years, it still seems far from being smiled upon in my area. :frown:

Again, and like the fandom, there's a spectrum of people who don't like the show. Some will only mention that they don't like the show if it's brought up and want it dropped, others will call out names on bronies if they see a pony shirt, and others will even go so far as to bully bronies on a daily/weekly schedule. However, then there is the extreme to that side; many people in the community, including the the show staff themselves, have gotten death threats. That's where the line is drawn between being anti-obsessive(?) to being a serious issue. For example, Tara Strong, voice of Twilight Sparkle on MLP, said in her interview with Everfree Radio last year that she's actually gotten these kinds of threats and other horrible mail. This woman has an impressively long resume, and this lighthearted thing is what people are willing to kill her over? Really?

I don't think I know of any brony who would hurt others just to do something or make a point. If being a friendly, open-minded person is what makes me a target to someone who would commit such atrocities, then so be it. But at least I'm not being the problem that these 'haters' would otherwise have everyone believe. On the contrary, it's the haters themselves who end up causing more problems than they seek out to 'fix'. I'm not saying most people who don't like the show fall into this category, but it's part of the sad reality that has made a great many bronies hesitant to even admit they've heard of the show, let alone watched it, at least until they're greeted among peers and even then it's talked about only with them. I've seen this at college, and while I'll say my gaming group there is pretty accepting of all sorts of people, bronies still get the odd look now and again.

As far as trolling goes, it's sometimes obvious and sometimes not. Ponies can make for some amusing punchlines (such as the Batman vid up there, no pun intended), and edgier ones that are so horrible they're funny, but when it trades off to be less of a joke and more of a riff, then it starts to tread a fine line in trolling. That's why I try to be careful with my phrasing on the Internet, for instance, so people don't misinterpret my intentions. It's very easy to read something in a very different tone than the person who wrote it originally intended, and things can fall apart if not quickly corrected. Joke/ironic pony videos usually need to play off of something so ridiculous that it's made apparent that it's joking. Videos like the one in the OP prompted a response from me since it seems to tread the joke/riff territory a bit more closely and I just wanted to clarify things. Someone like me can understand it (hopefully?), but I can very easily see this being viewed as a 'depiction of bronies' to less familiar audiences. I don't like being so defensive all the time (or at least sounding defensive), but I've encountered such an uphill trudge on the topic, both online and in person, that I unfortunately come off like that a lot now (even when I'm actively trying not to). :shame: