Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Sound Files do not Pakrat (But I can hear them)

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by MoonChickenDogRat, Mar 26, 2013

1. Sep 24, 2012
    Problem Fixed!

So I've been working on a project and when I pakrat the .BSP with various materials and sounds; users can't hear the sounds.

I can hear them personally because I have the sound files in my sound folder in the cstrike directory. (Proving the sound files work in-game)

When I send the map to the server operator do I need to give them the original sound files too? Or else how do I fix this problem? I know there are a lot of ze maps out there that have music etc.
    MoonChickenDogRat, Mar 26, 2013 Last edited by MoonChickenDogRat, Mar 26, 2013
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    Please embed the sound files into your .bsp.
  3. Jul 4, 2011
    Are you using custom soundscapes?
  4. Sep 24, 2012
    How so?

5. Apr 9, 2007
    Well, I suggest using Pakrat, but apparently that didn't work so well for you. Are you sure you have the paths right?
  6. May 30, 2012
    Hello are you changing the soundtracks from 44100 to 25050 Hz?
    (You can do this through Audacity, also changing the quality save alot of mb's in the end :razz: )

Also in the case have you/your friends/testers checked the console log for errors?

Also i suggest you to use PackBSP, it will automatic pack your sounds/textures/models...
    Myself i can't use PackBSP for sounds as it error my sound files, don't know why, so i use packrat for that.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sep 24, 2012

After Pakratting my sound files in Pakrat, it gives it a check showing that they were packed in correctly, but when the map is uploading to the server no one can hear the sounds but me.
      Post Merged, Mar 26, 2013
      The sound size isn't a problem, I've already compressed them to my liking.

The sample rate is correct because I can hear it, showing that they Source accepts them. But something is happening with the packing causing them to not pack correctly.
    • May 31, 2012
      They are packed with your paths, not with 'universal' paths. It shouldn't be C:/Blah/Wah/Pah/Steam, but sound/bla.
      • Zing! Zing! x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • May 30, 2012

• Funny Funny x 1
          Kim, Mar 26, 2013 Last edited by Kim, Mar 26, 2013
        • Sep 24, 2012
          Alright give me a second. .
          Yes all of my files are 22050, I fixed it after I found out through console that 16000 doesn't work.
          Thank you, this finally fixed my problem.

I've been fooling with this for the past two days and went through six different map versions trying to figure it out.

Now I'll have to find a good name for it :blush:
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Looking forward to it! :pirate:
        • Sep 24, 2012
          I suppose it wouldn't hurt to leak a little info.

I recently got permission from the creator of zm_unpanic_v2 to release a night version of his map.
          It features a custom skybox, new billboards, various tweaks and fixes, and fitting ambient sounds.

Hopefully it will be completed some time between today and tomorrow.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Feb 27, 2012
            I recommend using PakBSP. It works much better. Although, i'm not sure if it packs sounds files correctly. You have to make sure your sound file is encoded properly, and that it is actually packed. @sajak might be more of a help, since i dont remember what you have to specifically encode it as and how to correctly pack the sound file.
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              In most cases:
              .wav requires ambient_generic
              .mp3 requires env_soundscape

So if the path problem wasn't the issue (although it is), you'd have to make sure you're using the right encoding for the proper entity.
              Make sure you get the original vmf and not decompiled ones. And FFS enlarge the vents so it's not such a OP spot (I was releasing an updated unpanic last year but decided not to since it's such a great map, so please don't fuck it up :sweat: ).
              • Agree Agree x 1