Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Resource Source models site opened + requests available!

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by JorisCeoen, Aug 9, 2012

Good idea?

Yes 18 vote(s) 100.0%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Apr 9, 2012

http://www.sourcesdkmodels.com/psfur-guca01 (You can only visit that page when you're signed up, sorry)

And since I don't want anyone to sign up just to see it, I'll post some pics:

He requested me a Gun Cabinet (no idea wherefor but that never matters for me). This is the real picture:
    [IMG]

So I started working onto it, and this is the final result in Source SDK:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The model has only 358 polygons and 1 texture. So it's cheap and effective as well!

And yea the glass needs to be improved, I'll take care of that later, but Dirtbag didn't mind x)

So that's how it works folks, and it is available to everyone, though not sure who would need a gun cabinet atm ^^. Eveyone here is free to ask me any model he wants! (except player models and player weapon skins of course (unless it's for a simple prop model), K seems to do those ).

@enviolinador @Luffaren @Super Mario @Kim @Bella @Kosuki @sajak @SubDelt@ @ZombieFurbie @Si° @Jermaine [pF] @Ghost @Purpzz @LeGrem @Slayerdragon @Kujoen @nyronic @kirby8989 @thegregster101 @null @GRUDGE and everyone else I forgot, feel free to do! Just remember that if you request it to me, it'll be put afterwards on the site for everyone to use :smile:

Thanks to everyone! I think this will be resourceful for all mappers
    • Like Like x 4
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
      JorisCeoen, Feb 14, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Feb 14, 2013
    • Nov 11, 2011

[IMG]
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        Yours is more suited for an old western town or themed map, where as his would look silly in a theme like that because the materials don't match the times. You can't judge 2 things that are from different times, as they both have a purpose and a place for when they could be used.
      • Mar 16, 2008
        If you manage to get enough models, I'll sticky this thread. I love custom models.
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I'm just amazed you're actually trying to finish up some projects... :struggle:
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Jun 18, 2012
            Hmmm I'll definitely need some in the future, I'd rather make them myself though. I guess anyone here would recommend me 3dmax over SU, but are the basics the same?
          • Mar 16, 2008
            I would recommend throwing down the This site has nothing to do with Valve blah blah blah, they own the world, blah blah as you seem to be lacking it.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Agree with Josh. Plus your site needs some serious help. Add me on Steam and I'll make a nice site for you.
            • Oct 17, 2011
              I actually asked you if you can help me rip some models from video games before but I never had time after school started. Probably, I'll ask you for a few modeling help and some tips on ripping. Thank you for the help tho.
            • Apr 14, 2011
              Please make a tutorial on how this works. Step by step. What programs and so on.
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Could you specifiy where I put this on the site? I can't remember doing anything like that to be honest :giggle:

Thanks, but I think I'll built onto the site on my own for now. I'd be happy if you could simply mention some things that need "some serious help" :smile:
              I use both Sketchup and 3DS Max for the models. I use SketchUp pro (legal version) to create the models and then import them in 3DS Max for the UV-Mapping and exporting of models.
              I used the Wall Worm Models Tools to export models to Source, though this is merely for the exporting of the models to Source SDK and nothing else, all the work lies in the modelling (creativly modelling) and UV-Mapping.

I can't unfortunatly give any tutorial on how to UV-Map, because as you may already have understood, this is very very difficult. I had to look and read throught more than let's say 20 complete tutorials to learn UV-Mapping. The thing is, there are about 10+ ways to UV-Map, and in some situations you can use multiple ones to your liking, preferably the easiest and quickest one, but certain other situations require you to use only 1 specific method (might even be a method specifically created in newer 3DS Max versions for recently discovered situations as well). So with only explaining one model or even a couple is not enough, and that only is already a lot...

It took me 1 year and a half to understand everything till the point I came here, the modelling and texturing only takes 20% of all that work in count.

The best thing I could suggest you is to learn reading every aspect of modelling, even if you already know a lot of it Let's take a polygon, you probably already know what it is, but yet go and research and learn about it as much as you can, go on and read related articles to it, then learn other POV about modelling, why someone prefers it this or that way, then move on, then try to create a first complicated model (based onto something). If that works then you can move on, try your first UV, if it doesn't work, just keep trying and researching until you can!

That's about it. Anyways I mentioned all the software I used but I'll summ it up again:

• Google Sketchup to create models from scratch, and if possible texture (only Planar/projected texturing)
              • 3DS Max 2012 (64-Bit) Legal and free to download Student Version (Autodesk)to create models from scratch, and mostly the texturing. UV-Mapping is practically only possible in 3DS Max.
              • Internet for research, one of the most important things, if not the most important.
              • For creating textures from scratch or making them seamless (without a filter/plugin): GIMP (You don't need the fucking photoshop for texturing unlike many think).

Also, keep in mind that the reason that it took 1 year and a half (basically from the start of the very first try of modelling till the point I came at it now) is because it took a shitload of problem encountering in mind, and believe me you'll stumble across problems to fix before you can move on more than anything else, so be prepared to become a lot frustrated if you start at the same process. However, that's the way to learn things I suppose. And always remember that you can do everything, as long as you believe that you actually can always do it!
              Post Merged, Feb 14, 2013
              That would be adorable. I'm at the full power of creating models, so there should be soon a whole lot more already.
              • Informative Informative x 1
                JorisCeoen, Feb 14, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Feb 14, 2013
              • Mar 16, 2008
                Generic Blah Blah Blah
              • Apr 9, 2012
                Aha yea that makes sense! Thanks for the heads up :smile:
              • Apr 9, 2012

[IMG]

Model Page. Note that I won't always post in here by each model, but at least everytime a new category has been started I will notify here so people can have an idea for what kind of content actually is being released and how it looks like. Also I'm trying to create a model for every category first before starting to do one category more specific than another, mainly so that the layout is a little nicer one the site, and of course so that everyone can nicely see what all the (by then currently) available models are.

This category is btw a category (closets) that is endless. I could make more than hundreds of closets if I want to. They are one of the more useful items, especially for houses and so on, so it might be interesting for those who are doing indoor areas or houses.
                JorisCeoen, Feb 15, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Feb 15, 2013
              • Apr 9, 2012

[IMG]

Request by @sajak done. He wanted a circular bar, so I made it for him. Entirely made from scratch, both model and texture (not really the texture but seamed it and put all the parts for it, including the sink and the lights onto it as well.

[IMG]
                [IMG]

Should be soon on the download page.
                • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Apr 9, 2012
                    • Jan 13, 2013
                      Site is unreachable again. Thought i should let you know.
                    • Nov 11, 2011
                      Fucking Joris! I wrote a huge thing on your forums and I pressed submit and the website went down. The fuck man!! :pissedoff: Fix your site!

Sigh... anyways, can you please use this texture instead of the silver "inox" texture: http://www.mediafire.com/?mvxb1r4cmwmdsat

And also, can you use a high quality texture for the tabletop/counter because it looks really stretched out. That's all. Thank you very much for all the help and models you've provided me over the past year. :heart:
                    • Apr 9, 2012
                      I've been messaging the support for answers on this, I hope they reply soon. The things is that yesterday I was unable as well to enter my site via the PC's on the school. Apparantly webs.com was down as well, I think they had updates or something of the like.

Perhaps next time (may sound stupid but it's safe, I do it everywhere on each forum) when you have a very long post, you should copy-paste it before submitting it so that you don't lose the information.

When I get home this evening I will look for the new texture you provided me.
                      • Like Like x 1