Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Source Models site upcoming

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, Aug 8, 2012

1. Apr 9, 2012

Additional to my mapping progress (http://plaguefest.com/threads/ze_ssbb_b1.11579), I've also decided to finally make my own site.
    It will mainly include free Source Models to download for personal use in your own maps. No signing up is required, I only ask for fair credits in the map or either on the maps page. I can never control it all but just be fair and add credits. It's mainly for ze mappers to help them but in the end I decided to make it free and available for everyone who maps for Source.

I cannot yet post the link to the site as I'm building it, but I hope to be able to add many custom models to it (or editted ones by permission of the original author).

I hope you like the idea and I hope to open the site soon enough.

I will sometimes when I have free time also make random models and just post them onto the site. If you ever happen to find something that will suit you, be free to download :smile:

EDIT: I also forgot to add the textures part, as you will also be able to download textures. You will have the choice to use a normal & a parallax map depending on your preferences
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      JorisCeoen, Aug 8, 2012 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Aug 8, 2012
    • Jul 4, 2011
      Sounds like a cool idea, but isn't this somewhat like Hammer Source which Hannibal is working on?
    • May 31, 2012
      I think it will be more similar to a just-model-and-texture GameBanana, as it will be a website and not a program as Hammer Source is/will be.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      Not exactly. Hannibal made a program that releases models with all their setup being right at it. I won't release a fully working machine gun, I would just release the model. Also, I will be adding textures for free which will have bumpmaps, parallax maps, specular maps and even detail maps. It will vary from all sorts of types. Also, if people give me a model that they'd like to distribuet, I can turn it into a Source model and post it on my site (with his name because I don't want to run away with all the glory).

There will be pictures next to them to see directly what the model is about. Hannibal won't be distributing models, it'll be the users who use them. Of course you can just randomly add a prefab with only the model at it, but Hammer Source really wants to go in the direction of complete prefabs, not only models.

I will also add for example my own-made trees, which are hard to find nowaydays. Source only has a handful in stock, and otherwise you'll have to search for other tree models which are in other games. I will just provide them for free without even worrying about copywrighted content (where GB does difficult)

Kind of yes. I hope to do a little better than Gamebanana (on the source part), even if it's obvious that the library won't be able to be as big as it is there.

It's mainly also to turn other random models into Source models, it might be whatever you want. Also it'll be Source specific, whereas GB is all different kind of games.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I'll be glad to help you out with the site backend.