Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Source SDK 2.0 Possibly leaked

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by JorisCeoen, Jan 27, 2014

1. Apr 9, 2012
    via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksH5K1fbzYI

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758999

Source SDK 2.0 may have been leaked, although it looks as if it's a cheap taunt, faked, it apparantly is not. Reasons for this is because the guy who posted this is from deep inside the gaming community and works with Valve.

Let me know what you think of it. It looks incredible, although I expected Source 2.0 to just have soft shadows, better rendering and high-end lighting. It's just obvious as that's what they had to catch up with.

What I'm most interested in is to know how Valve approached these techniques. Back in the time, in 2004, Source was recognized (and it still is in fact) as an engine that can produce high-quality content with less resources, and has games thanks to the Source Engine that can run on a range of specifications that is far higher than almost any other engine.

As such, I hope they somehow achieved some new techniques, like static lighting much like in the previous engine, but at a much higher level, so high in fact that it looks like soft shadows, but simply cheaper than real-time. Take CSGO as an example, they can already produce soft-shadows at a very low cost compared to something as Crysis 1, 2 or even 3. BUT, that is not 'real' soft-shadowing, it's a different approach that achieved the same result but with less resources than it always has been given to.

I'm jeezing my pants, I hope this is for real.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jan 30, 2013
      Saw this the moment it got posted on gaf (where it got leaked)...tried to make a thread, and failed horribly due to formatting issues.

Really look forward to this now that we know what it looks like.

Also 2 slides show different levels of destruction on the same structure :3 .

Heres a somewhat decent comparison of s1 vs the s2 remake:[IMG]
      RedM00N, Jan 27, 2014 Last edited by RedM00N, Jan 27, 2014
    • Apr 9, 2012

The way I see it, Valve barely used techniques such as model-texture baking and so on, and Source had a bad time to support even a bit complex brushwork or lots of vertices. The problems Source 1.0 suffers, is mainly just because of old stuff that was not discovered or developped back then. What I see in the new pictures are simply more complex models, with big obvious bakes (but that's not a bad thing, good bakes are something to melt for), and obviously a bigger support for more vertices (just look at how many trees you can see at the far back of the side of that house), and better lighting.

I could even say it already starts to look like something as Crysis, and as a mapper and modeller, this is impressive regarded the current Source Engine, but so far versus modelling and textures, I have not directly to say anything that I can't discern being new.

However, my biggest relief of seeing the pictures is in fact how authentic it looks. It almost looks like a real-life picture, and that's something I actually don't always see. This has to do with rendering of the pictures and not only the shaders and techniques used to merely bring the content on the screen. So, that's really something that seems to be looking forward to. On the other side, I fear that the standard of modelling and texturing will raise up skyhigh... So I better get myself preparing for baking and increasing my modelling skill xD

In terms of entity limit... I still fear that Valve is going to set a limit, merely to keep the maps at a rate that wouldn't make the Source Engine look ridicilously badly optimized... But, they would perhaps just raise it. OR, perhaps there won't be any limit to talk about anymore, perhaps the Engine will not make a difference anymore between a static or a dynamic prop, although that seems more unlikely. I'm sure they are still gonna pursue their ideology of creating an engine that seems fit for the todays low-high end PC's with some techniques that are gonna make our jaws fall onto the ground.

Also, I hope new entities will raise... Like, instead of something as a func_movelinear, a single brush that can be moved in any direction without the need of stupid paths. OR, even better, just have better support for any dynamic entitiy, in other words have ze_predator not lagg when 64 people are in a dynamic_entity

It seems obvious, that the obvious problems of the previous Source will be fixed, but, as long as we have nothing to grab, I can't say anything for sure. The last thing, I hope compiling will cease to exist and that they will jump to a real-time level editor.
      JorisCeoen, Jan 27, 2014 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Jan 27, 2014
    • Jan 30, 2013
      One of the slides mentioned "Simple, automatic compiling of content". So I have my doubts there.
      People mention data streaming ( proper) and improved tools. Im interested in seeing how the info rolls out, and what S2 turns out being ( good or bad for moddability/support).

And yes, I hope for more entities. 8192 minimal plox.
    • Feb 11, 2012
      Redesigned Tools & Workflow
      - Powerful GUI front end for content authoring.
      - Can be easily extended with custom and pre-game assets
      - Browser for quickly finding, managing, editing assets
      - Simple, automatic compiling of conte
      • Like Like x 1
        titty, Jan 27, 2014 Last edited by titty, Jan 27, 2014
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Compiling exists to optimize runtime. Realtime development can be a thing; but you're probably going to still be shipping binaries from now until the end of time. Imagine if the server had to compile the map every level change :wink:
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Dec 30, 2006
          I think you would shit bricks and our CPU would need liquid nitrogen cooling.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          That's an improvement in all aspects xD the current compiler is not simple, and does not automatically compile all the content as it should :crying:

I hope for more entities as well! And better support for them.
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Well, yeah; wouldn't you without the aid of Taco Bell?

What has me excited is the following.
          [IMG]

Gaben talked about CS2 prior to the release of Portal 2 and Dota 2 at one of the Intel IDF's. Provided the image isn't a lie, it lines up with the Counter-Strike cycle, and will probably be our next game. I know I've been saying this a lot, but Global Offensive is our Condition Zero.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          So, what you mean is that CS2 is the succesor to CS:GO right? Because some people say CS2 is GO.
        • Dec 30, 2006

So we're finally moving to a new game.....actually let me know when we get hw2 up.
        • Apr 28, 2013
          Well I guess it's time to pack our bags and move to cs2 soon.
        • Feb 24, 2011
          Would you have to rewrite all the magic plugin stuff if we moved over completely?

I really hope they allow us to do a little bit more as modders/mappers/server-managers, while still having improved/added things (like new entities, commands, increased map limits etc)
          I shouldn't work my hype up too much though, it might end in disappointment. :question:
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jan 30, 2013
            Assuming cs2 isn't actually csgo as some people are saying, I hope that Valve, and whoever else works on it, doesn't do a repeat of GO, but instead do a hybrid of 1.6/go's reg/comp/matchmaking and source's flexability/mods (I guess that's the way I'd put it). If cs2 is indeed csgo, perhaps its a port/remake to source 2 as source was to 1.6? Either way, I hope they don't pull another go :/

Its still too early for another CS installment anyway :< . Maybe 2016/late 2015?
          • May 31, 2012
            Until I see screenshots of the editor(s), I don't really care/expect stuff. I hope they add driveable vehicles just for laughs, though.
          • Jan 30, 2013
            via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVe1E3A05E

Would be funny to see that as an official mode :razz:
          • May 31, 2012
            It is indeed a thing. Made by the co-creator of Counter-strike actually. F2P too :3. Maybe we can all get together and play a game one day

It had more things to it other than just driving, but yeah. That's what I was expecting from CSGO, back when we we're still being spoon fed information).
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Apr 9, 2007
              Doesn't match the naming pattern. Most of the cstrike code hasn't changed since CS:S, which had portions ported from HL. CS2 will probably be a rewrite.
              • Informative Informative x 1