Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Spectators

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Kloud, Aug 6, 2013

1. Apr 3, 2013
    So on ZE today, we were just derping around on predator like always. Full server and i decided to check if we were enough for the boss. I was greeted that there were 22 players just sitting in spec, most of them afk from the maps before. And there are people trying to join in that doesn't have a donator slot. So I asked the server why there were so many spectators and an admin told me to cry on the forums about it, so here I am.
    [IMG]

And AFK Manager is not operating, only seen it operate a few times and i've seen people just idling in spectator for over a day, and not getting kicked. PF is becoming more active, it went up from rank 70 to 18 on a tracking website, which leads to more players on it, but they can't join when 30% of the server is just idling in spectator.

tl;dr Fix the AFK Manager or put up some sort of spectating rule
    • Agree Agree x 1
      Kloud, Aug 6, 2013 Last edited by Kloud, Aug 7, 2013
    • Jul 14, 2010
      Why would it kick them when there's room for more ppl. AFk manager puts people in spec always, but it doesn't kick them until the server is full. :S
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jul 1, 2010
        AFK Man will only pop up the question that people need to answer (or be kicked) if the server population hits a certain point number wise (which I believe is 63 although could be 60). I've been kicked several times when the server has been full the past few days. If people are alt tabbed and then tab back in every so often to answer the question that pops up, I'm not sure what else can be done.
      • Nov 29, 2012
        Wow that is quite a lot of people in spectate. I guess something should be done to it because people who actually want to play ZE and keep the servers up and popular aren't able to join due to the spectators. Too bad people can't just disconnect if they plan on being away for a long periods of time and let people who want to play have a bit of fun at it.
      • Apr 3, 2013

But there are cases when it is a full server and there are loads of spectators just sitting there doing nothing. And i was talking about the AFK Manager who just permabans kicks people for idling forever. It just operates like once a day or something, unless it does it manually.
      • Jul 1, 2010
        It doesn't work that way based on my understanding, and I have been kicked multiple times a day. It keeps track of everyones idle time and then pops up a box with a question in a menu that you need to answer. If you don't do so within a certain amount of time it kicks you. This only occurs at either 60 or 63 people though. Not really seeing an issue unless the server is full personally.

This doesn't stop people from figuring out the amount of time they can idle. They would be able to alt tab back in or come back to the computer and answer the question.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Nov 29, 2012
          Well I guess at least it makes the server look poplated with all the specs :razz:
          Rayne, Aug 6, 2013 Last edited by Rayne Valar, Aug 6, 2013
        • Dec 30, 2006
          Yes you do fail at math. There's absolutely no reason to kick people out of spec when the server isn't full.

The abuser AFK Man would start abusing by itself. It's set to some pretty good time intervals already so let it do it's job.

Solutions:
          Use root admin hacks and clear specs.
          Buy Donator and use reserve slots? :S
          • Agree Agree x 3
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Jul 1, 2010
            I'm pretty sure LSA can still clearafk, although I guess I could be wrong.
          • Feb 21, 2007
            I suppose I could change it, so that it kicks anyone who has been in the server longer than 15 minutes, except for Retslag1.
            • Agree Agree x 3
            • Funny Funny x 2
            • Apr 9, 2007
              We kick everyone regardless of status should the server be full; other communities to the best of my knowledge do not. Is there a problem here?

If you can find a case where AFKMan doesn't work as intended, I can definitely look into it. The automatic window is 20 seconds per kick for a non-donor, the rest is pretty much up in the air with N failed presence checks before a donor/admin is presented with an "Awareness" menu. But this requires there to be no active candidates in spectate.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • May 31, 2012
                The server was not full and people idling too long do get kicked without the use of admins. I was one of those spectators because I enjoy watching while I'm at work lol. I feel like you were trying to give Fluffeh a hard time over something she can't control.

I noticed that a lot of people wanted to go to spectate because the team was failing too hard on Predator. They were waiting for the next map Westersand.
              • Apr 4, 2009
                I got kicked 4 times on minas for being alt tabbed posting on the forums.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Jun 4, 2006
                  Yeah AFK man definitely works. It will kick AFK spectators when the server is near (I believe it's set to 61 players or more currently) or at capacity. It doesn't discriminate either (pic below is me being bad).

RGZ6fx2

and I raise you a screenshot of 63 players showcasing the polar opposite of your OP:

2013-08-05_00001

Sometimes there will be influxes of spectators for one reason or another. As @Joshy pointed out it they were apparently waiting for the next map due to too much fail. If they go AFK, AFK man will get them (again, so long as the player count is above threshold).
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • May 31, 2012
                    ^ I'm still a spectator in that map lol, of course!
                  • May 14, 2012
                    should just move these spectator complaint threads to no-count by now.
                  • Apr 12, 2012
                    Does this mean that the 'awareness' menu pops up at somewhat randomized times, so that an alt-tabber would not be able to time them? If not, that would be a nice feature if you had the time to add it.
                  • Jul 8, 2012
                    I like this if it's possible if it's needed.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4
                  • Mar 12, 2008

Can we combine all the afk spectator threads into one mega-thread, and pin it or something so everyone can post in there? There's soooo many.
                  • Apr 9, 2007
                    I doubt a human would be able to know when it's about to popup, they'd need to be intently watching, and counting. It's quite the task, and if they're that focused, well, you know, they're ingame.