Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

SSBB Update Poll

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by JorisCeoen, Feb 9, 2013

Choose whatever you think should be changed to the next SSBB version

Remove normal attacks only 6 vote(s) 35.3%
Remove normal and special attacks 1 vote(s) 5.9%
Keep all attacks 7 vote(s) 41.2%
Make boss battles easier 1 vote(s) 5.9%
Make boss battles more difficult 11 vote(s) 64.7%
Don't change Boss battles 4 vote(s) 23.5%
Add (short) running before boss battles instead of them being one stage on their own 9 vote(s) 52.9%
Keep boss battles one stage on their own 4 vote(s) 23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Apr 9, 2012
    Ok so it's simple, just tick whatever you think is the best for the next SSBB update.

These are the answers I really want opinion-wise, all other things I will change are determined already and will not be put here (and that's a lot). This includes teleports, visual changes, gameplay changes and obvious other fixes as well.

I decided to not release a fix version of the current map, because only fixing the problems is by far not enough.
    I will vote as well so you can see what direction I personally would go for. I'm the mapper, whatever I do is what the map will be, but I want to hear/see other people their opinions as well.

Thanks for the answers and input.
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Do we have an ETA on this new, updated version of SSBB?
    • Apr 9, 2012
      Not sure... It will take at least 2 weeks for all the fixes, slacking and timescedule included, but even then... I can't say for sure. It won't be for this month in any case.

I'm also heavily working on ze_cathedral which is uncomparable to the CS:GO version by now, mainly because I'm trying to make it run-able (it had 50fps at max in GO) now it runs all rendered at a stable 150-170fps so I'm almost done with all the optimization. After that I can finally add the first level back, and more afterwards if I have the time. (And the map its gameplay isn't too great but it's still worth releasing I think)
    • Jan 13, 2013
      I think that instead of a random pick, it should be user picked, but have a 2-3 round cooldown for each level (Boss battles can be played once every 4 rounds)
    • Apr 9, 2012
      It doesn't matter. My system is constructed so that every level gets played regardless of when it comes. In easier words when a level is won it can't be selected again by the choosing system. Eventually before Tabuu all stages will have been played.
    • Jul 6, 2012
      Have not played the fixed teleport version on pf yet so i can't really give a valid response.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      As I can see from the poll result and something that I agree with it, once you iron out your fixes and it's something your comfortable is playable, you should make the boss battle more difficult since the battle is so fast that I didn't notice what was happening or what I done.
    • Jan 13, 2013
    • Apr 9, 2012
      A ok, that's in fact a good idea. Well I'll do the boss battles after this version (so I will only change the characters and some visuals and gameplay)
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jan 24, 2012
        I like difficult boss battles so that's what I voted for. Anyways, I'd like you to make sure none of the playermodels block your actual view in CS:S. As for example "Link" does block your entire screen while running, because of his placement around the knife? That's pretty much it! :grin:
      • Oct 6, 2012
      • Mar 20, 2012

- add some holding thingies before or after boss battles (or both) like predator ultimate starting in spaceship....U run ,u hold, boss battle, u hold again, epic ending with rising platform or slowly closing door, something like that
        - I dont really see the problem with normal attacks only that players dont know yet that they do nothing...and the soundspam could be a problem....but...if u could make a cooldown for normal attacks/sounds, it would work maybe better as a complete removal..
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Well the reason for optioning the removal of the normal attacks are mainly due to the soundspam, but also the big majority of all testers said they were pretty useless.

I've been able to rework on SSBB. The first problem that scratched for quite some houres my head was on how to make models fade when players have picked them up... Well it didn't work with fadedistances, but I found another way around with different .vmt's referencing the same material with different degrees of opacity. So I finally am able to make model see-throught when you pick/carry them, so there shouldn't be any problem anymore with headaches and so on.

This however requires me to go throught arguably every material of the model again... Don't get me wrong, this does not need extra vtf's, but only vmt's (which are 1kb each). No need to tell this takes more than a couple of days for all the models only. I'm willing to do it so I hope it will please everyone who previously complained about this.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Forgot to put a screenie yesterday of the effect so that people understand what I'm talking about:

[IMG]

As you can see link is see-throught, this only happens when you pick him up or go near him. Note that this technique depends on the POV of the screen, so that means looking higher up will make Link become fully opaque again. But it's mainly for the 'looking-down' purposes, such as falling down at greenhillzone or skyworld or other stages.