Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

SSD

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by P@perBoy, May 28, 2012

1. Mar 3, 2012
    SO I was wondering if anyone has any experience with SSD's. I want to buy one but I'm not sure which one, I know I want a 128GB+. I also was hoping someone could help me with the transfer, I want my OS (Windows7) on the SSD but I'm not sure how I'd go about that.
  2. Jan 14, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 21, 2007
      With this gen os SSDs, it seems like most are fairly equal in terms of bugs or quality. Just pick your fav brand
    • Nov 11, 2011
      And that's why you should stick with what you know... lol

As hek said. Samsung 830, Intel 520 or Crucial M4. I'm using the 830, it is a beast and has maintained it's R/W and IOPS. :like:
    • May 14, 2011
      I have the Corsair Force 3. It had a few driver issues so I can send it in for a replacement at any time.

All the hardware issues are fixed a I really recommend it for the price.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE
    • Dec 6, 2011
      EW Samsung 830? Intel 520? Crucial M4? Talk about slow as shit. Those are just for reliability.... or were.... They have better SSDs now. What you want right now that are good for speed AND reliability, pick up a Plextor M3 that has a industry leading 5 yr warranty, for only $139.99. Another good choice is the new Vertex 4 for $149.99, which doesn't use the godforsaken SandForce controller anymore. I'd recommend those over any other, preferably the Plextor, since it's failure rate is <0.4%, which means you'd have to buy over 200 of them to get one bad drive. If you're looking to buy cheap, the Force 3 has some high speeds, though the only thing I don't like about them is the SandForce controller it runs off of, which causes a ton of problems with some SSDs. You shouldn't have to worry too much though, because it hasn't affected the Force 3 Series as much as the others, like the Agility 3 and such.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Jan 14, 2012
      • Dec 6, 2011
        You took a portion of what I said and made it look like something else, I don't see what's funny.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Ew? Really? I don't expect such a response from someone who thinks themselves to be technically literate. Failure rates for the Intel and Samsung SSD are less than 0.1%. Plextor is a good company but in terms of speed and reliability, even the Mushkin SSDS will run laps around Plextor. You have to be arrogant, ignorant, or a combination of both if you think speed is better then reliability. Please show me where consumer based SSDs are topping 520MB/s in any test yet have low failure rates than Intel (asides from the fixed 8mb bug) and Samsung. Paper boy, stick with Intel, Samsung and Mushkin if you want speed, a track record of reliability, and something that's not too hard on your wallet.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • May 14, 2011
            • Dec 6, 2011
              First off, no need to start random shit in a thread....., and second of all, I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from but they're completely incorrect. I'm gone for the day so I'm not even going to get into anything, I just want to add in my last word to paperboy, not to Sajak. Mushkin drives are horrific failures, and Plextor is still faster. Since they're newer and more technology advanced, their reliability surpasses that of Intel's and Samsung's. For speed wise, there's no competition. @P@perBoy , go ahead with what you like, but I suggest you consider looking up some information on the above mentioned SSDs. I honestly have no clue why you'd want a SSD half the speed of another with the same, if not worse, reliability. I'm pretty sure 5 year warranties get the point across as well. It makes quite a statement when a company offers to pay/replace ANY of their SSDs within the first 5 years of the purchase, it really shows how dependable Plextor SSDs are. A little nit-picking... "hard on your wallet" yet Intel is $185 for their slow SSD, and Samsung is $150. Plextor is the cheapest out of the 2. They're cheaper because their company isn't a big name like Intel, and can't just flaunt around their name to make a sale, they have to work for it. Tom's Hardware or OC3D will tell you the same thing I'm telling you.
              [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.542969)] [/COLOR]
              • Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Jan 14, 2012
                Come on, lighten up! Just found it funny how you 'discarded' reliability, it's quite important if you ask me.
              • Nov 11, 2011
                I'm sure you've never heard if Anandtech. I'll leave your confused self alone.

Paperboy, if you want to wait another 18-24 months, new stuff :grin: --> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/21/ucl_reram/
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Aug 1, 2011
                  Dear LORD @Ghost1995, that computer is like...what the fuck?

Is that even NECESSARY?!
                • May 14, 2011
                  Nope haha 2Gb/sec. this vvideo was commisioned by Samsung to showcase thier SSDs. And it f***ing worked :razz:. Makes me J**Z every time i see it.
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  lol That's nasty. How can you jizz to a video of a computer? EEK! In any case, those are impressive speeds but it's not realistic for a home PC. I would find that more useful for @Home participation or for a server environment. None the less, I would love to own the machine. xD
                • May 14, 2011
                  nuh uh... i never said jizz. I ment to say "jeez" as in I say "Jeez" as in "Jesus" as in the common slang used when something amazing is witnessed.

You just have a dirty mind!
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Dec 6, 2011
                    I didn't discard it, the sentence makes perfect sense if you have the whole thing there.

@sajak I don't understand why we need to go through this every thread lol, I'm voicing my knowledge, it's ok if yours is different. I like my two Plextor's and hated my Samsung 830/Agility 3, and you like the Intel/Samsung's. My PC benchmarks the Plextor over 60% faster than the Samsung, yours may be different. I'm going to agree to disagree on this stuff, I'll let paperboy choose what he wants. :pirate:

I've had enough of people getting pissed at each other just because they don't agree on each others posts in threads, we need to just voice our opinions to the OP, and DISCUSS our thoughts to each other without going crazy. I like to get into conversational arguments with others, but sometimes things tend to get out of control.

A :heart: for @sajak , and a :heartbroken: for his "sajak fixes" on maps :razz:
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                      Brett, May 28, 2012 Last edited by Brett, May 28, 2012
                    • May 14, 2011
                      @Brett You are superior in knowledge about computers. :razz:

I tend to be open minded about computers. (except for apple)

I tend to accept what wiser people tell me.

Usually the person who has most recently bought something. Such as a SSD in this case, is wisest upon the subject because they have done the most up-to-date research.

Spread da love!