Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Star Trek's Enterprise could become a reality...

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Ray, May 18, 2012

1. Aug 18, 2006
    This put a huge smile on my face... :curllip:

http://tinyurl.com/brvappl - Just goes to show what we can accomplish if we put forth the time and resources.

It would be 20 years of development, and cost $1 trillion, but our government spent that much in 2008 to bail out the banks. And of course this is all optimistic thinking, but it puts a smile on my face knowing there are people out there trying. In Star Trek's universe, once warp drive was invented, it changed the very nature of our existence for the better, and I believe it would too.

I have no doubt we'll travel the stars someday, but I'd love to see it happen in my lifetime.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 11, 2010
    • Sep 26, 2010
      By Grapthar's Hammer, what a savings. Cool beans!
    • Feb 20, 2011
    • Oct 17, 2011
    • Aug 18, 2006
      It would. But it's a huge undertaking. Not only would you need to create a warp drive, that excels you to faster-than-light speeds, but you'd need a massive power source. You'd need other items too, such as deflector shields (to make sure a piece of space dust doesn't create a hole the size of a baseball when you're going fast), inertia dampeners (without them, you would just be a blood splatter on the back wall from massive 0 to light-speed acceleration), just to name a couple.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 21, 2007
        I'd say 20 yrs is overly optimistic, if not foolish. At the earliest, I would say 50 years, maybe? I think we need alot more done on the research front than the 9 years the project allocates. Although, I would love to see something like this completed in my lifetime
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Anything is possible man. I won $90 on a scratch-off lottery ticket. Ive tried to get even $10 off one for 5 years.
      • Feb 20, 2011
        Exactly, I don't think we're even close to developing the necessary tech, it should say in 20 years we could build a ship that looks like the Enterprise. Also the design looks a tad flimsy, with those engines mounted on such thin brittle looking mounts, if anything we should base our Starships on the USS Daedalus.

[IMG]
      • Jan 10, 2009
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Dec 7, 2010
          Maybe we'll just settle for the NX-01. :razz:

[IMG]
        • Jan 12, 2011
          I like the Daedalus, but we haven't met the Asgard yet to help us out with those hyperdrives.

That's what I'm thinking too. If only because it's a little bit less work to do in terms of advancement. We don't NEED phasers, torpedoes, transporters, tractor beams, and other things right out the gate. That being said, I absolutely want to see a proper Constitution-class starship be prototyped sometime in my lifetime.

Iconic optimism reporting in!
          [IMG]
        • Feb 20, 2011
          I still remember what TARDIS stands for off the top of my head, I also know what DRADIS in Battlestar Galactica…. I can't remember what RADAR stands for, and I work with them.....

Also so be honest, I can see our first major starship, particularly warships being like the new design of Battlestar, like the Pegasus, no shields, the way they"Jump" fascinates me, they do it from being stationary, and technically don't move, they just "jump" to the plotted point in space.

[IMG]

A lot of tech in BSG seems believable, (Maybe not the way the ships can "jump" but the craft does, the DRADIS could be real soon,

• Agree Agree x 1
            McKay, May 19, 2012 Last edited by McKay, May 19, 2012
          • May 11, 2011
            i would like to go flying around space and time in a blue box
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Feb 20, 2011
              It actually disguises itself as something from the Time Period, it just broke and got stuck like that, me I'd want a giant-ass bridge and a Captains Chair.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • May 11, 2011
                i know but saying that takes all the fun out of it
              • Jan 12, 2011
                FTL drives and a few other gadgets aside, BSG probably has the most realistic layout for a starship. They address things like food, water, and fuel storage in the series. They also go over different locations of the ship and place them a reasonable distance apart while containing them inside a ship (damage control, crew quarters, armories, etc). It's not super small future tech, nor is it massive like in Star Wars. BSG tells the audience just enough about the ship without going into too much detail, while others like Star Trek and Stargate kinda glance over those details and leave people wondering where the hell the bathrooms are.

Edit: Getting back onto topic, We aren't likely to see any Battlestars for a while due to their size. I know there are other ships that are smaller in the Colonial fleet that would be easier to build, but it just wouldn't be the same. The other shows have an advantage here since their hero ships are a bit smaller, such as either the Enterprise or Daedalus.
                Vadleon, May 19, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, May 19, 2012
              • Apr 12, 2012
                I'd say within 50 years we'll have 90% of the as-yet-undeveloped technology needed to build the Enterprise. The other 10%, probably closer to 500.
              • Mar 16, 2012
                Wouldn't you need infinite or a lot of energy to go faster then light ? Warp speed no 20 years might get us back to the moon faster in a more developed ship..maybe even a moon base but not warp speed. The only thing i could think of is that project they have to use little controlled nuclear explosions to propel ships...

Now id like to see some huge freaking robots like Gundam or Armored Core
              • Jan 11, 2012
                Let's start with some smaller ones, like androids :razz: ^^

Who knows. 20 yrs are a long time, no one knows what the future brings.
                Would be really awesome to see the Enterprise in real