Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Steam Universe is expanding: SteamOS + Steam Machines (SteamBox)

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, Sep 23, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2012
    http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

You can read it all above, Steam comes to a new OS!! Also, Steam will be as expected ship new machines that should be completely optimized (aka perfect) for SteamOS.

Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
    environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
    SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
    It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Finally, a multiple choice answer

Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world. We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS.
    JorisCeoen, Sep 23, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Sep 25, 2013
  2. Jan 30, 2013
    Really like the idea of having a full scale OS, which makes a SteamBox announcement immanent.

Now what the hell is the third announcement.....
  3. Apr 9, 2012
    Post Merged, Sep 23, 2013

If the first announcement is O = SteamOS

And the second one is [O ]

It means that the OS will be in a box [________] (yea that's a box!) so Steambox = [O ]

What would O + O mean then?
  4. Apr 9, 2007
    Pretty obvious this is why they hate Windows 8... They've only done the same thing and this just shows it. lol
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Apr 9, 2012
      There are more and more speculations that the third announcement will be Source Engine 2, as O + O probably mean Hardware + new line of Software, meaning that the Steambox will most likely launch with Source 2, perhaps announcing a new game as well, either HL3 or L4D3
    • Apr 9, 2007
      L4D3 is most likely going to be the first Source2 game. HL3 is still a year and a half out, Valve time.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      While I'm not against that, I'm pretty sure no one was awaiting L4D3. Everyone wants HL3 we know it... I think they will be using L4D3 to test out audiences their reactions on it... Though I find the comparison to be very difficult :frown:
    • Jan 21, 2011
      I'm not sure how I feel about this. If I had to use the steam browser out of game, I might just shoot myself.
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Steambox confimed as many people expected. It does not ship as the official SteamBox name (yet), but they officially announced to ship the hardware to 300 lcuky people that will complete the Quest, which is just doing a bunch of stuff, having a controller and play in Big Screen mode.

Until now I predicted all symbols, and I think I will keep on saying that O + O is Hardware + Software, meaning the soon announcement of Source 2 or any game they want to release for it. I'm quite exciting for the last announcement, it could mean L4D3 of HL3 (thought the latter one, is improbable). Also, it's been said that HL3 would probably release in 2014 at minimum, or 2015. The page says that the consumer versions will ship in 2014, this means that if Source 2 is the announcement, it also probably means that a game for it, presumably L4D3 will be used as test to register the reactions and feedback for future improvements on the engine, making it completely stable for a probable later release of what I think would be HL3.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Within one hour the third announcement will be revealed, I can't wait to know what it'll be!

Not sure if someone knows or noticed it, but the bulb in the middle of the screen gets more intense now, it seems to be revealing a logo, though I'm not sure it's related to the hardware, the OS or any new software...
        • Feb 11, 2012
          • Apr 9, 2012

[IMG]

It's somewhat what I could see from the white lines, however maybe I just wanted to see it xD
          • Oct 4, 2012
            Penis^3, ok I'm pretty sure you wanted to see this, hue.
          • Jun 11, 2012

But the current sphere reminded me of the Resident Evil 6 logo. Do you see the giraffe and the lady doing naughty things.
            [IMG]
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Jan 30, 2013
              The sun/planet ( it looks like a sun, dammnit, not a planet) has "3" explosions on its surface, and ( tho my mind want to dispute it as cosmic coincidence) the figure in the sun is getting clearer each day. We'll know in 20 min...

Its either going to be a controller (which was hinted at on the steam machine page) or a software+hardware(O+O) announcement ala a controller and an sdk/engine/game.

People even said a 4th announcement may be possible...lol
            • Apr 9, 2012
              I'm not sure if it's gonna be a controller. The controller is just related to Big Screen where playing with a controller was already long available on the PC. I'm not sure if they have a lot of interest in releasing yet another controller that would be essentially the same as so many released controllers nowadays.
            • Jan 30, 2013
              A controller thats centered around the SteamOS and PC makes it the likely choice. I also heard it would have trackballs or w/e its called, making point-n-click nav easy. Basically would be better than the DS4/360pad on PC.

Plus, they wont release a "console" as some call it, with no native/first party controller.
              • Winner Winner x 1
              • Apr 9, 2012
                damn seems like you were right xD FUCK THAT how useless
                Post Merged, Sep 27, 2013
                However, the bulb is not yet revealed, so it means there will be other announces that will make it more clear :grin:DDD