Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

SteamOS UEFI Workaround

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Feb 2, 2014

1. Feb 27, 2012
    If you're like me and don't have a UEFI option in your BIOS, you might have some issues installing SteamOS. From the help of a guide and several forums, i was able to finally get it installed on my extra Hard Drive i had lying around.

First of all, when you do this, you cannot choose what HDD SteamOS installs to, so disconnect all extra drives and only have the one in you want to install it to. I have no idea if it will work with multiple partitions on a hard drive, but i highly doubt it since you don't get to choose a darn thing when installing. So if you have a blank drive, install Windows 7 or something on it first, plus you'll need it for this tutorial.

What you need:
    • An empty hard drive with nothing but a fresh Windows installation (windows 7 works)
    • All hard drives disconnected, except the one where SteamOS will be going
    • 4GB USB drive
    • Be comfortable with working via command lines, with your bios, etc (anything outside of an operating system)
    • Patience
    I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong if you fail to follow these steps, or if it just doesn't turn out as expected. This is an unofficial work around that is not supported by Valve. Any data lost or damage caused is your own fault.

Most of this workaround comes from here

First thing off, let's download what we need for this. I have uploaded these files to my Dropbox incase the original links go down. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh03peopf80c7ow/steamosfiles.zip

Next, you want to extract the SteamOS files to your USB drive. Create two folders, "syslinux" and "grub" (without the quotes)

Now extract the entire archive you download somewhere temporary. Place the two grub files into the "grub" folder you created on your USB drive.

After that, extract the second archive called syslinux-6.02 into its own folder (that way we don't get a huge mess) Then from the extracted syslinux-6.02 files, navigate to the "bios" folder. In there, you need to copy the following 2 folders to your syslinux folder you created on your USB drive; "win32" and "mbr" So now your file structure should look like this in syslinux (assuming the drive letter is D: replace the D: with whatever letter your USB drive is):

... and in your grub folder, it should look like this:

Now you need to open CMD as an administrator. Input the following command, and again, replace the D with whatever drive letter your USB drive is:
    d:\syslinux\win32\syslinux.exe --install --mbr --active d:
    After that, go to the root of your USB drive, and create a file called "syslinux.cfg" and put this into the file:
    DEFAULT linux
    TIMEOUT 50
    LABEL linux
    kernel install.amd/vmlinuz
    append initrd=install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz preseed/file=/cdrom/default.preseed DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer desktop=steamos auto=true priority=critical video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet
    And you are now ready to boot off of your USB drive. In your BIOS you need to change the boot priority to USB first. Alternatively if your POST boot offers it like mine does, you can Press F8 to choose what to boot off of for this boot (without changing your boot order) Again, make sure you don't have any drives except the one that SteamOS will go on connected to your computer, or you may loose data!

When it boots off of your USB drive, it will automatically go through the installation and take its sweet time. The installer WILL come up with an error at one point saying it failed to install grub, don't worry. What you have to do is press CTRL + ALT + F2 and that will drop you into shell mode, hit enter to activate when prompted. Type the following 3 things into the command line:

chroot /target /bin/bash
    apt-get install grub-common grub2-common
    dpkg -i /media/cdrom/grub/grub-pc-bin_1.99-27+deb7u1+steamos3+bsos1_amd64.deb
    dpkg -i /media/cdrom/grub/grub-pc_1.99-27+deb7u1+steamos3+bsos1_amd64.deb
    After that, press CTRL + ALT + F5 to return to the UI mode. Now from here, you just press Yes and Continue whenever prompted. When you come up with multiple choice, still just press Yes/Continue

After that, the installation should finish up, and follow what it tells you to do (it should tell you to remove your USB drive, so do it or you'll go through this entire thing again)

Now, Post Installation is still a bit of work, but we're almost there! When prompted to login, login with GNOME from the drop down on the bottom left, and login with username "desktop" and password "desktop" (again, without the quotes) and you should be logged in! Don't click anything though. Open the Home folder on your desktop. Double-click the file called "post_logon.sh" and select Run In Terminal. When asking for a password, use "desktop" It will do its thing, and then reboot your system.

Now this is where my specific issue came in. It said it failed to load the kernal (i think), and should just hang there allowing you to type. If you type exit, return or startx, it just hard-locks, and you have to restart your computer. When you restart, it will just stick with a black screen and do nothing. If you press certain keys your system will beep at you. What you have to do now is press CTRL + ALT + F2 and we are in our shell mode again.

From here, login as "steam" and if it asks you for a password, it is also "steam". From here, type "startx" and press enter. It should bring you back to the desktop. Open up a terminal, type "steam" and press enter. It should attempt to start Steam. If you have an internet connection, it might try to update. After that, you can restart your computer again, and you should automatically be put into the OS, and should begin updating. After that, log in and all that jazz. Make sure you have a phone that can check your email for the verification code or another computer.

Once logged in, don't bother with the big screen thing. As cool as it looks, it's still super buggy. I played CS:S and it ran great, but any time i clicked with my mouse, i couldn't look around. As well, the overlay was even more laggy than it used to be. Also, if you use the web browser, it doesn't let you use your spacebar on the forums for some reason. So to get out of big screen, go to Settings>Interface>Enable Desktop. Once you do that, hit your escape key until you can't go back any farther. At the top right click Exit>Return To Desktop, and you should be on your desktop.

From here, update your steam (again) and install CS:S or whatever other games you want to play.
    • Like Like x 1
      Tony The Tiger, Feb 2, 2014 Last edited by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Feb 2, 2014
    • Dec 11, 2013
      COOOL~ MAN!