Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Taters, Jan 12, 2012

1. Mar 12, 2008
    The EFF tells you what you need to know

I cannot post this in news so i will post it here.

If you somehow haven't heard about these bills, you would do best to educate yourself as soon as possible.

This ridiculous bill will make it possible for the government to effectively "pull the plug" on any website they damn well please.

Mostly websites/blogs which feature owned content in the forms of

• Youtube channels (Youtube Lulz Thread)
    • Fan art (DeviantArt)
    • Mods (TesNexus)
    • Mobile Apps (Android Market)
    • Fan Fic (drawn photos, also DeviantArt)
    • Linking (FaceBook, Twitter, Tumblr, Other hipster blogs)
    In other words, any forum there is, was, and ever will be.

Including our forum. I may be an asshole sometimes and i *may* brag a bunch but
    I learned something. without access to these forums, it was a dull. as. FUCK week. now that this bill may be floating around this way soon, it dawned on me....

what if it was like this FOREVER?

Well the government may take my pay, and use it to "protect my rights" but this SURE AS SHIT AIN'T WHAT IM PAYING FOR.

If this bill passes our community, and other communities will cease to exist "as web hosts can be held responsible for what we post here".

If YouTube decides to be a dick, they could sue our host (which, i assume is GoDaddy?) and our beloved Ray, simply for hosting content owned by them. (No more YouTube lulz!)

Some examples from the reddit post i so lovingly borrowed these from, on how, say, our favorite time-killing game would be affected.

How would SOPA/PIPA impact League of Legends players?

• Kills streaming. If any single streamer plays copyrighted music (or alt tabs into a movie or other owned content) on their stream, there is a significant risk of the entire streaming service being taken down. In some cases, it could even result in criminal penalties for the streamer.
    • Threatens independent content creation. Services we all use to create and share League of Legends related content, such as YouTube, Reddit, DeviantArt, streaming websites such as Own3d and Twitch, and more would be at risk of shutting down or greatly restricting the scope of legitimate content allowed on their sites.
    • Attacks our community. Aspects of our service such as the official forums and potentially even in-game chat, could be taken down or have their features reduced based on user behavior.
    • Other harmful effects. SOPA/PIPA undermine established intellectual property legislation like the DMCA, raise serious constitutional free speech issues, and could even compromise the basic security infrastructure of the internet. Congress will reconvene at the end of January, and with a long roster of supporters on both sides of the aisle, SOPA/PIPA could actually pass. The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.
    This is some serious business, and both these bills need to be stopped dead in their tracks if we are to save not only our community, but also our rights.

These bills will effectively kill everything we now have, and i'll be damned if I no longer have a place to rant and rave about how hardcore i am.

*DMCA is not Demacia.
    **This is also probably my first, incredulously quality post in the history of these forums. I demand LSA in exchange for it. Or at least access to make posts in news.
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    Fuck yeah, they can't silence us!
  3. Jan 8, 2012
    ......Sucks, habius corpus now this
  4. Feb 18, 2011
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    I sent mine out weeks ago... they all replied saying that they support the bill...
  6. Jul 23, 2010
    Although this bill may not be perfection, I do think something needs to be done regarding copyright infringement and piracy. It's not fair that people can make money off of work that is not their own. Online piracy does hurt our economy and the livelihood of others.
    The bill describes reasonable measures that will be taken during the process. It is also not copyright infringement to parody a work, so many things that are considered entertainment, will still be allowed.

"reproduction, distribution, or public performance of copyrighted works, in complete or substantially complete form, in a manner that constitutes copyright infringement under section 501 of title 17,United States Code;"

It is the RIGHT of citizens to protect their work. It is not a RIGHT being taken away, when you are intentionally breaking the law.

If people actually care to read the bill, here it is. There is nothing worse than being misinformed.

It should be the responsibility of the domain owner to monitor his/her site from lawbreakers. The internet shouldn't be a free space where you do as you please without repercussions. I see what that does to people. Recording companies, movie studios, actors, musicians, artists...everyone is trying to protect the money they deserve. Somehow, people are confusing lawbreaking with free speech and censorship. Occupy the Internet? People are trying to find a way to protect their own property, while people are claiming they are protecting their rights. You have no right to infringe copyrighted material, be it for entertainment purposes or not. What is laughable, is the fact that people are scared of "trolls" and what they would do out of anger concerning internet security.

There are major real risks with this bill, and none of them relate to you getting your LOLZ.
    Trying to strike a balance with issues like these is near impossible, but I do support the fact that some effort is in place to try and curb the problem before it becomes impossible. I'm not in complete support of this bill, but I'm sure as hell am not fully against it. Form your own opinions and do your own research.
  7. Sep 15, 2011
    Trying to throw a punch at the internet? Haha , this will be fun.

Gear up ladies and gents. This is going to get ugly.
  8. Nov 25, 2011
    You realize that basically every forum on the internet would need to be shutdown by the admins and either purged or heavily edited. Posting a simple image from Google is enough to get the ENTIRE domain shut down from a SOPA complaint. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in regards to SOPA and its repercussions if it passes. The Internet, in America, at least, will cease to exist. No Facebook, no Youtube, no Google, no Pandora, no forums. While it isn't trying to censor free speech on the internet, it is as a direct result of how it works. If you support SOPA in any form then you are incredibly misinformed. People that think that just because they aren't in the USA, they won't be affected, you must understand the amount of pressure the US has in terms of forcing other countries to adopt similar stances.

If SOPA passes then ALL social media, as we know it, will cease to exist. There are no repercussions for making a false claim and making a claim under SOPA is extremely easy. It's setup for abuse and it will be abused to the fullest extent. You claim that people should form their own opinion yet yours is clearly uninformed. I've watched the live stream debate on this, have you? One representative, a woman whose name I forget, said that she wanted to call a vote so she could go home. Another, a man whose name I forget as well, said that he doesn't understand the bill but he supports it. I will try to find sources and edit this post with them.

Part of me hopes this bill passes. Why? Because we deserve it. We, as a country, keep voting these idiots into power.
  9. Dec 30, 2011
    Wasn't this supposed to be voted on by congress near the end of december?

SOPA isn't as serious as people think and it won't get through. They had something similar a year or two ago and it all died down after a while
  10. Jun 10, 2011
    Bloody America, ruining the internet for everybody :razz:
  11. Sep 25, 2010
  12. Feb 18, 2011

I'm sure she does.
    My two cents on the bills:
    It sucks being a kid right now, kids don't even fucking know whats going on. They never heard of the bill and when I informed them of it they were like LOL COOL. When they take affect little do the others realize they are going to get charged easier. People sit around downloading from frostwire (LOL) thinking its perfectly fine. What I do find interesting is people refuse to educate themselves on current events. Most kids don't care about shit like the invisible children and even when improper things happen to them they don't care. The NDAA is another act that shouldnt happen.
  13. Mar 12, 2008
    My congressman/woman said they supported it, so i'm gonna have to continually pester them. There was a list somewhere that showed which congressmen/women that supported SOPA here in California. Looks like i have some work to do :\

Uhuh. it WAS supposed to be in december, but the good ol' congress decided to try and "slip it under the door" till January/February so it would catch people off-guard, and have a chance at passing.

Also SOPA is incredibly serious. If it DID pass back in december, I would not be having this conversation with you. That kind of thinking there will definitely make it pass, especially when they sugar-coat it and make it look like it only hurts pirates/bootleggers/etc. SOPA hurts us all.
  14. Jun 4, 2006
    A good real world application:
    Tom's Hardware Community Manager commented that they would have to explode their moderation team to unbelievable numbers in order to potentially police and filter everything that was submitted by users. "One of the biggest problems with SOPA implementation would be that it would offload the assumption of innocence and the idea that sites operate in good faith with regards to intellectual properties. With SOPA, having an item up that infringes if only for a brief period of time would be an actionable cause for DNS blacklisting, and through no fault of the site owner."

What scares me is the possibility of abuse with this bill. Just accusing a site of copyright infringement allows the gov. to block it. Since media companies are the most likely to do the complaining and one of the greatest contributors to political campaigns, it gives them unprecedented control over internet content. I'm all for protecting copyrighted content to a further extent, but the problem with SOPA and the Protect IP act is the way it goes about 'thwarting' online piracy. Anyone semi tech savvy will have no issue circumventing DNS-level censorship (http://domainincite.com/docs/PROTECT-IP-Technical-Whitepaper-Final.pdf - see section III B, written by those who invented DNS). Hell, if SOPA/Protect does happen, sites will be distributed as IP lists and I'm sure it won't be long before someone writes a browser addon / extension with automatic updating and all. It's going to have about the same success combating piracy as the War on Drugs has in combating drug use.

It has been hard for some companies to police their material online because the courts can't figure out how to handle these issues, but SOPA flips the situation to the other extreme; with site owners having no rights. Investors will not put money in a site that is open to serious litigation simply based on its business model. This is horribly bad for the Internet, but because lawmakers have no clue how social media and user generated content works, they're writing legislation full of holes that does far more than their stated purpose.

On a related note:

Further reading for those interested:

Get involved:
  15. Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks for this info Brian.

Just a reminder to everyone, it only takes a single tiny flame to burn down a whole forest....

Although I do support that people shouldn't pirate games/music/etc. but I do believe it's bullshit that artists believe they can sell songs at $0.99 without having anybody using limewire/frostwire/torrents/etc.

And just because I have an odd sense of humor I'm going to make a extremely long metaphor to explain how I feel about popular artists by using a South Park episode. Enjoy, it's funny. South Park Episode
  16. Mar 12, 2008
    If SOPA passes, there will be no south park.

or rather, there WILL be, but it will be nothing but incredibly dull episodes.

1984's book version of south park.
  17. Feb 18, 2011
    There are strong opinions on both sides. Gay ass Metalica doesn't need another penny to buy some dried up hooker, but at the same time, my drums teacher doesn't need people stealing his music since all he operates on are four unheard of bands. But it isn't about us pirating. It is about the violation against congress it makes which is wrong.
  18. Dec 6, 2011
    Yea. I just cannot stand most of the shit that goes on in the U.S. All of these corrupt politicians are only in it for the money. People get fucked over because big corporations pay politicians to help them out when they vote them in.

And I know Taters is going a little overboard sounding like one of those crazy Americans that find out the conspiracies and nobody believes them, but he is right about most of this stuff. I probably will move out of the U.S. if I can find a good job in another country if some of these BS keeps coming up. Control over the internet = biased articles/webpages/etc. to lie to the people. If this goes through, just think of other things that will come after with the domino effect. Just like I stated earlier, it takes a tiny little flame to burn down a whole forest. Do not let these these suited men with dollar signs for eyes control us.

(Wow do I sound like a rebel or what? 'O.o?)
  19. Aug 18, 2006
    Moving out of the U.S. won't make a difference. Almost everything that affects the U.S. affects the world. If you think you can escape said issues, you are sorely mistaken. Besides, you'll probably have new issues to deal with as well.

Personally, I'm not worried about SOPA. Why? Do you really expect the government to have the time and manpower to regulate the billions upon billions of webpages that are on the Internet? No, I'm sorry, but that's a fucking joke. It's not even remotely realistic and it's going to fail miserably in practice, IF it passes in the first place. Clearly the government doesn't have the slightest clue as to how the internet works. If they did, they would realize that the SOPA bill sounds completely fucking stupid. They don't know what they're in for.