Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Stupid ****ing Sony.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by McKay, Apr 27, 2012

1. Feb 20, 2011
    My 8 month old Sony Vaio Laptop recently took a bad turn recently when the Blu-Ray Drive inside died. I took the drive out to look at replacing it, and Sony have modified the drive so a generic internal laptop drive won't fit. So I gave up and rang Sony Support. And the conversation went roughly like this.

Sony: What OS does the laptop have installed?
    Me: Windows 8.
    Sony: Ahh, that will be the problem, the drivers won't work in Windows 8.
    Me: It's not the drivers, it's a hardware issue.
    Sony: No, it must be Windows 8, it's an unsupported OS.
    Me: The drive was broken before I installed Windows 8.
    Sony: The problem you are describing sounds like faulty drivers to me.
    Me: How can a grinding clunking sound be bad drivers? I already updated and re-installed the drivers back on Windows 7.
    Sony: Sorry I cannot help you on this matter, as you have removed Windows 7 you have voided your warrenty, if you put Windows 7 back onto the laptop and send it back to us, we can have a look at it, but it will cost.
    Me: Do you know anything about computers? **Hang up**
  2. May 14, 2011

Try and buy a broken laptop on ebay and just take the ODD out. That's the cheapest way to fix parts, usually.
  3. Feb 20, 2011
    It would have to be a specific Pioneer Blu-Ray drive, specifically modified by Sony. I tried installing a new Blu-Ray Drive, but they've modified the drive, so that it fits inside the specific shape of the gap left inside the laptop. It also has to be the exact curved shape on the lip outside, or it won't fit in the mounting on the outside.
  4. Jan 21, 2011
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    Not to stereotype, but were they indians?
  6. Feb 20, 2011
    I was so close to screaming down the phone that I fix computers for a living, and that he knew sweet fuck all.

Couldn't put my finger on his accent, possibly German.
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    Ahh, That is so sad that they can't hire people in that know there ass from there face... Makes people who actually do work with computers, or servers in my case look bad...

Like ATT, those guys no nothing about servers! But they always want to call me and tell me how it is... but I digress.
  8. May 14, 2011
    Just buy the exact same model of your laptop but broken and it WILL fit.

Also did you giver them your address when you called? If not just deny you installed windows 8. Just format your HDD with a special formatter before you do so there are no traces :razz:.