Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Surf Galaxy (CS:GO Surf Map)

Discussion in Completed Maps started by JorisCeoen, Jun 21, 2017

1. Apr 9, 2012
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 4
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      JorisCeoen, Jun 21, 2017 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Jul 10, 2017
    • May 29, 2012
      Now we just need a surf server. >Looks totally awesome by the way.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Aug 6, 2016

Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017
        With that said, I absolutely love what I see.
        @Detonator would like that background.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Oct 29, 2010
          • Funny Funny x 2
          • Aug 6, 2016
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              I can give you a CSS version in 10mins when I'm home!
              • Like Like x 5
                JorisCeoen, Jun 23, 2017 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Jul 8, 2017
              • Apr 9, 2012
                A massive update just got released on the workshop version of the map. Tons of changes, including all the following:

• Improved readability of teleports at bottom (labels are now flat on the floor so you can see them from any POV).
                • Improved readability of jail buttons. Jail buttons are now also shootable, even through the glass! (now a single person can open them from outside if he's fast enough).
                • Improved readability of all weapons in the level. They have a blue neon-like effect under them, giving a sound and nice animation when picking up.
                • Improved spawnloop ramps by extending the bottom a bit to allow more comfortable surfing. The boost of those have also been lowered a bit to balance comfort.
                • Improved radar. Added radar icons on the loading screen.
                • Added custom playermodel and custom playerarms. CT's play as blue astronauts, T's as red.
                • Added an admin room with KILL ALL, KILL CT and KILL T buttons. In the future more functionality will be added.
                • Added additional ramps in between spawnloop ramps and middle centrifuge to encourage easier aircombat.
                • All speedboosts have now sounds to them. Both middle and top platforms have had their boosts cut off slightly before reaching the end of the slopes to avoid sudden stops.
                • All glass textures on the ramps have had their shadows disabled. It improved readabilty and removed akward shadowing on the models.
                • Bottom corckscrew ramps have been overall improved, albeit these will probably be replaced in the future, because I feel like they might not work out, period.
                • Cubemaps have now been 'properly' installed. No default cubemaps anymore.
                There are some other very minor changes, and the removal of some gaps that were barely noticeable.
                • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                • Aug 6, 2016
                  Is this still for the CSGO version or CSS?
                  Interesting.

Idk about this one. Sounds kind of funny, in itself but may not be the best thing.
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  It's still CS:GO. The CS:S version can only roll out once the CS:GO version is nearly final. I also released a trailer just now for those who don't want to play it but still see it in-game:

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvMxGI6Mt4
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                  • Aug 6, 2016
                    Oh wow... The pictures do not do it justice. I can say that.
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Apr 9, 2012
                      The development of surf_galaxy has now been put to a stop, and I'm looking forward to other, more promising projects.

The final version of this map is the one currently on the workshop, which is b1_4. If PlagueFest wants to request a CS:S version instead, just do so by hitting me up here, or on Steam.
                      JorisCeoen, Jul 8, 2017 Last edited by Kyro, Jul 10, 2017
                    • May 25, 2012

If you don't mind some quick feedback what kills it is a lack of speed and maneuverability around the map. You can't gain too high amount of speed immediately because the surf ramps are so narrow. Reading through your last comment you mentioned "I might consider adding them if they aren't too hard/timeconsuming to implement." towards changes. I checked the map with r_drawstaticprops 0 and immediately found out at ease why you commented that specifically. The entire map is pretty much one giant model. Yes, models are cool, but the map lacks showing off anything at all complex or fancy. No new textures or fancy specular maps on the custom textures that you did throw in. Somehow mixed with Half-Life 2 assets featuring player models from Fallout 3 as well. The only real thing it has going for it is the map is one giant model that can't really be modified unless you were experienced with a 3D editor. The ramps are smooth though they are not wide or long enough to be really enjoyable. Once played you don't really want to play it again, it feels like.

The maps ramps really lack and the eye candy doesn't go too far in saving it to summarize everything.
                      Syoudous, Jul 9, 2017 Last edited by Kyro, Jul 10, 2017