Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

System Build Opinions

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Herp Derp, Apr 26, 2014

1. Apr 7, 2013
    Whats up guise, just wanted your opinion on my build. Anything you think I should change or would have done differently? Should I have gone SSD instead or gone with a SSD and a Hard disk?

Processor - i7 4770k Haswell
    Cooling - Corsair H100 liquid cool
    Power Supply - Corsair RM1000w
    RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator 2000mhz
    MOBO - asus maximus VI
    Graphics - SLI'd GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 SC
    OS - Windows 7 ult x64
    HDD - Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    First thing, are you planning on Overclocking? Because if you aren't, you might as well just go with the stock cooler or the CM Hyper 212. Liquid Cooling is pointless if it's just going to be running at stock.

If you can find a 770 that's cheaper than 2 760's, go that way. If not, all the power to you. I just find it's better to stick with a single better card than 2 worse cards.

If you're an audiophile, you should get an ASUS Xonar DG or a Creative XtremeGamer (i have this one) sound card. I'd prefer the Xonar because it's much cheaper than the Creative, and it sounds just as good if not better.

I don't know much about RAM since it all changes so often, but i thought Corsair wasn't great, unless their Gaming RAM is different from their Value RAM. Or maybe i'm mixing Corsair up with another brand.
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    GPU: 800 series are soon to be but I got a 780 TI
    Mobo: I'm advocating the Z87 line MSI MPower. It's discounted right now and I have that with a 4770K

As with @TonTon (CHange your name to TonTon so the @ werks fine without me changing a thing), get the Hyper Evo, make sure to compensate for air flow in terms of way the air is fed into the case and how it leaves. Hyper Evo are big but my high temp hasn't past 58 Celcius.

For RAM it depends, if you are doing a dual channel they could be pricey since 2x8 is more expensive but you get that dual stuff with a high RAM.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    Probably don't need this much power. Might save yourself some $$ by dropping to an 800 or so.
    Also, some people swear by SSD for OS, some swear by it for gaming. I haven't noticed hard drive access being a bottleneck in the system, but it IS smarter to run the OS on a separate disk in case something goes wrong, either you save your OS, or you save your data.

As an example, I'm running the FX8350 (8core), 770gtx, 16gb ram, 2 drives, asston of USB, but no water cooling, and I only need 700 PSU. I run 950 right now cause I got a good deal, but if you can cut some money there you might be able to get a smaller SSD for the OS. Just an idea.
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    I like have multiple drives for os/data. That way I can fresh install Windows and not lose my data, or replace my data drive and have Windows just fine.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
  6. Jul 8, 2012

Yeah I had the 212 plus (before they changed the name) and I see literally no difference between temps so far. But I wanted the h100i so I could OC.

Both are great coolers.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk