Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

System Pausing

Discussion in Technical Support started by N B K, Mar 26, 2014

1. Mar 19, 2011
    Seems that whenever I move my mouse cursor around for a bit my system pauses for a second and becomes unresponsive. I haven't had any issues lately, only when I changed my primary display did this start occuring. Any clues as to why this might be happening?

Gonna scan for viruses and malware but I don't think that would be the cause as I usually do frequent scans. Man just as I was gonna play that new Bioshock Infinite DLC :weep:

OS is Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
  2. Feb 13, 2014
    What are your system specs, you might need to revert back to a slightly older driver build.
  3. Dec 1, 2013
    When you say "changed primary display", does that mean you just changed your monitor? Or did you actually update your graphics card drivers?
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Ahh yes, I mean I changed my monitor. I will look into using an older display driver.

i5 3570k @ 4.2, 2x 4 GB Asus 670s and latest Nvidia drivers

Monitors: Asus 1080p 120 Hz and 1440p 120 Hz
    • Feb 13, 2014
      The only thing you did was change monitors?
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Pretty much, I went from using my 1080p monitor to a 1440p one. Like a week ago it was working fine without any issues, not sure if I'm experiencing issues due to installing the latest nvidia driver.
    • Feb 13, 2014
      Did you install the driver when you switched out monitors? Or was it before? Does the entire system hang or is it just the display?
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Now that I think about it, the issue was occurring when I swapped out monitors so I uninstalled the drivers and re-installed the latest ones. However the older drivers had no issues so I don't know why it was acting up all of the sudden. Not really sure how to answer the second question but I'm guessing my entire system hangs..
    • Feb 13, 2014
      Well, put on some music or something and reproduce the hang. If the music pauses or gets stuck while the system hangs then the entire system is hanging rather than just the video device. Try reverting back to the old monitor and see if that has any difference. I'm willing to bet there's something wrong with the driver though.
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Seems to just be the display that's hanging, not the system.
    • Feb 13, 2014
      It's gotta be either the driver or the monitor. Revert to the old driver and see if it is still hanging. If it is, try swapping back to the older monitor.
    • Mar 19, 2011
      I switched to an older driver and still getting the hanging. I might switch back to my other monitor but I really want to play Bioshock Infinite @ 1440p :crying:

Thank you Atriarc in trying to assist me.
    • Feb 13, 2014
      What graphics card are you running in your rig?
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Two Asus 4GB 670s
    • Feb 13, 2014
      I'm assuming you're utilizing SLI on those two cards?

EDIT: What's the wattage on your PSU
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Well it seems that it's an SLI issue... I ended up disabling it and now I'm not getting any hanging. Maybe I need to replace the SLI bridge? I've never had any problems with this setup for what's going on a year now and my PSU wattage is 850. PSU is a Seasonic X Series 850W Gold Rated PSU. I guess I could also try using another port on the cards aswell.
    • Dec 1, 2013
      You get one of those QNIX monitors? Did you make sure to use a dual-DVI cable? Did you overclock your monitor, by chance?
    • Feb 13, 2014
      It could possibly be that bridge. I know ever since SLI came out I had nothing but problems with it, so I just steer clear of it. The issues I've seen with SLI even kept me from testing the waters with Crossfire as well. I would try replacing that bridge since disabling it fixed the issue. Kuriin might be on to something as well, but I'm not versed in that type of stuff.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Could be the driver themselves. I know most Nvidia people mindset are "Did you try beta" but do a Drive Clean of the drivers and install all over again. I've had this even with a non-sli and couldn't figure it out after later down the line I updated my driver for my 680.

Also Bioshock Infinite at 1440p takes a bit more werk then just setting up the resolutions. Some aspect don't scale so you gotta utilize some of that Google-Fu prowess to modify the XEngine and the Xui conf. Honestly, I was playing in 2560x1440 and compared it with 1920x1080 and saw nothing different. Also DOF goes wonky @ more than 1080p
    • Mar 19, 2011
      I only try to use Official drivers, and I did do a clean install but is there any software that might assist me in this? I will give it another shot and regarding the other issues yeah I'm using a DL-DVI. Also the monitor is an Overlord Tempest and I did try to Overclock but then I used it at Native resolution and was still experiencing the hanging.

Edit: Resolved..... this was more of an issue than it should've been.
      N B K, Mar 26, 2014 Last edited by N B K, Mar 26, 2014