Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Temporarly leaving PlagueFest

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, May 18, 2014

1. Apr 9, 2012

I haven't been active for a long time by now, at least not on the servers. Since the past 5 months or so I have sporadically entered the server just to feel for myself that I have kind of outgrown Zombie Escape. I'm not sure why but I feel like I have had it, and that mapping has become the focal point of my free time.

I'm currently working on a mod for Portal 2 called Aperture Tag (however it's only exporing work so it barely takes up any time). I'm also working on the upcoming new Pirates, Vikings & Knights game, being called in for level design. And finally my biggest project till date is in progress, a cathedral map for the CEVO project on GameBanana, for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. I bolded it because it's not for CS:S (which is my second cathedral after the first one originally for ZE). I built it up from the ground, using 0 resources from the ZE version of either CS:S or GO. Here is an early WIP:

[IMG]
    There are plenty of shadow errors back at that stage of the map but are resolved for a big part now.

Mostly this will be new for some people, as the map has currently been build by a 100% in Autodesk 3DS Max. The map looks like this:
    [IMG]

Currently I'm not even sure if I will reach the deadline. Personally I don't really care too much, as the main point of the map will not be to win this time around, but to use it as a reference for showing the powerful tools that Wall Worm Model Tools has. WWMT made me realise why everyone should ditch Hammer and instead use 3DS Max as level designing tool.
    When the map will be done and when I'm ready to start tutorials you'll understand after watching/reading them why it is 100000000 times better.

Anyways, I also realised that for some part, I outgrew ZE because my ZE projects keep stalling, and the one and sole reason for that is that for myself I realised that working around millions of billions of trillions of... limits and errors in Hammer is really not a workflow to get used to in 2014. When I'm seeing whatever is possible with all the other engines, Source for ZE became a burden for me because the only thing you have to do 100% of the time is going around stuff, circumventing etc. I really admire those who can do this (Luffaren, Envio, LeGrem, Kim, Päss, SlayerDragon, who else is out there, there are too many for me to remember) but for me it's a limitation/stumbleblock of creativity.

That's also why all of my projects till date are actually projects of a scale ment for Source and the reason why the limits aren't a problem. The limits (as everyone knows) are there so you simply don't go rambo, and in fact also so that you do not hit into them. I don't want to spend houres to simply go around them.

I don't think I'll ever finish SSBB, I do think I may finish ze_cathedral just once, just to have finished one ZE map that doesn't require lots of work (so it'll be a very basic one but at least ONE).

As such, that has been my time on PF for the past months and therefor I also resign from being a Donator as well as an Admin. I'll always stay on the forums, and I may very rarely jump on the server(s) here and there, but until all of the 3 above-mentioned projects are done, I can't afford myself to linger around in games too much. Most likely by the time those are done, new projects will have been started, so I can't really tell when I return being very active again.

Of the 2 years I have spent almost nothing but being on PF, learning from the community, playing ZE and meeting lots of amazing people, those were definitly the best years I have had on- and during the PC workflow so far, and there are many to come in the future! As such, I want to thank everyone who supported me over these years, I will never forget!

Also thanks a lot to @Seeker for supporting my admin and donator during those 2 years :smile:

Don't hesitate to contact me or ask me anything about mapping or ZE or anything else!

See you in the chat or the forums!
    • Friendly Friendly x 12
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
      JorisCeoen, May 18, 2014 Last edited by JorisCeoen, May 18, 2014
    • May 31, 2012
      See you. In typical Envi's fashion I'll tell you that you need to change the tiles in the cathedral in your screenies.

Good luck with stuff.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Feb 3, 2012
        Come back soon. Map looks great by the way. :wink:
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Aug 12, 2012
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Feb 21, 2007
            Sad to see you go. Don't be a stranger! Keep us updated with your work!
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Dec 27, 2012
              You're welcome whenever you wish to visit us again, take care!:wave:
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Jan 1, 2013
                Hope to still see you around in the forums from time to time. Nice to see your actual work.
              • Apr 24, 2012
              • Apr 9, 2012
                Thanks for all of the warming comments! As said I'll stay around on the forums, reply as usual, but the server time is kind of done for me. @retslag1 I'll post a new thread for the cathedral in the mapping section if you want (and when it's ready), explaining a bit more why I chose 3DS Max for level design instead of Hammer. I'm sure many mappers will like it, even though I could understand that some may think it's absolute rubbish (but it really isn't! You can do much more with it than in Hammer)
                • Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Feb 25, 2014
                  Is it easier to handle, that is more question that comes to my mind, took me a while to get hammer to work for me.

Anyway good luck cya soon
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  Generally yes. If you are familiar with Hammer, you'll understand how it works in 3DS Max with Wall Worm Model Tools. What's the most intimidating is Max itself. You won't learn 3DS Max overnight. However, for Hammer it's the same, so if you are to start choosing at a starting phase, then 3DS Max will be more 'profitable' than Hammer in any given way.