Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

The Perfect Gaming Setup

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Brett, Feb 21, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    For the past year, I've been looking for a top notch, extremely comfortable gaming seat/whole new setup for my computer area. I've had a lot of ideas for a homemade one, or possibly building off of something I could buy.

The main thing I wanted to accomplish with this setup, was to achieve perfect comfort, while still having great access to the keyboard/mouse (ex.: sitting too far back in a chair to be able to comfortably type). I had some rough ideas scribbled up in Paint, but when I was doing a little bit of browsing, I found the perfect thing that matched my idea. The only problem is, I haven't been able to find shit in stores that resembles anything close to this type of setup (or something that doesn't cost $10,000).

Here's the perfect thing I'm looking for:
    [IMG]
    Back of the monitor:
    [IMG]
    Back of the keyboard:
    [IMG]

Now, it was a homemade project, built from an idea started on a blog. This person used "Kee Klamp" pipes/connectors to set this up, with a shelf for the mouse or other items on the right of the chair. The key points of this setup that I'm looking to accomplish are: the angled/very comfortable position of the chair with great arm resting spots with possibly a little bit more of a tilt on the entire thing (chair inclined more), the swivel and move-ability of the monitor (attached to a pipe), and the perfect spot of a keyboard (large enough table for more than just a keyboard/mouse) and leg rest.

They even put great "list of items" that were used to make this (in terms of just the pipes): http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/projects/computer-gaming-chair/#

Another problem I would have, would be the PERFECT chair. Would anybody know where to start looking for a chair similar to this (but obviously more comfortable with great armrests)?

Though I wanted to be certain, before I delve into this project, that I know there's nothing else out there like this that I could invest in, or even something I could possibly build off of.

Shit, if I could find something like JP's setup from Grandma's Boy, I'd be like a kid in a candy store:

Any thoughts/opinions on how I can tackle this project?
  2. Oct 22, 2012
    thats a fap chair....put a box around it and you have the perfect fap cave :wink:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Feb 18, 2011
      That?
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jun 11, 2012
        - Some pipes for the chassis should do the trick since you can find all those parts at a Home Depot and some elbow grease and you can build that.
        - A VESA mount support jerry-rigged with some pipes part to build that monitor hold
        - The top part for a Ottoman that you can attach to the chassis with a swivel
        - The chair will probably have to be something your comfortable with, each person has a chair they're comfortable to sit where others share the same feeling with said chair.

It's a do-able project and once you get the side and bottom chasis part done, the rest are just add-on pieces.
      • Feb 18, 2011
        Capture3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Yeah but check out the bad boys rigs you could be rocking with. :silly:

Also it's more focused on professional graphics solution for Autocad, Autodesk, and Adobe stuff. Too OP for gaming. Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 32716 PM
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Still not even close to the actual price.

Besides, let's get back to the main topic. I need to find a damn chair, and I'm not coming up with shit, currently.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          For the asking price of, $50G's I want 3TB of SSD instead of a 7200rpm spinning disk. Although that price is justifiable since it's custom, hand made. Anyone who's seen the amount of work that goes into building something by hand, would probably appreciate this chair. But meh... $50,000 is out of my range, this is definitely a luxury chair.
        • Sep 6, 2010
          I wouldn't go with this setup because you can't really change the position on the chair much. Also, there's no table to put stuff on (except for a small one on the right side). I prefer a large table so you can have a printer, monitor, phone, keyboard, mouse, router, external hard drives, speakers, etc. on it. You can place a chair under the table to rest your feet. The computer itself is under the table with all the wiring.
          A chair on the wheels will do that can lean back with the arm rests. The bigger monitor the better.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          I was aiming for this, but upgraded. Multiple shelves on the right side for router/modem/clock/360 controller/G930's. If I can get the perfect angle for a seat, I don't think it'll need to be adjustable, but if I wanted, I could possibly try to have the tubing be raised/lowered at the angled connectors. I already have a small wooden coffee table that perfectly fits my Raven RV02-E case, so I'm not worried about a spot for a monitor. The one reason why I'm afraid to go down this path is that the entire structure will be "flimsy". Such as the keyboard, when I'm madly typing away, I don't want it bouncing up and down because it doesn't have enough support. I was thinking a bar coming from both sides to hold up the keyboard/mouse table to keep it all in place.
        • Feb 4, 2011
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Got a little update for this small project of mine (finally).

So I found a couple options for a seat for this. Sparco seats are apparently very cheap, as well as very simple to mount. There are some nice mounting holes all across the bottom brackets so mounting isn't an issue.

$95 buy now? Damn. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sparco-Corb...-Side-Mount-Non-Offset-Brackets-/271306001197

[IMG]
          [IMG]

Now my only issue is going to be how I'll set the seat up for easy access to sit down as well as keep everything stable, such as the keyboard and mouse table.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          We made something sort of like this for our CNC Machine in our welding/machine shop. We took and old TV cart thing and dropped a pipe down one of the legs, bent it with a torch carefully so it didn't collapse or anything. Then we made a plate that fit onto the back of the monitor, drilled the holes, can't remember if we tapped them or not, then welded the plate onto the pipe and screwed the monitor in. Then for the keyboard, i forget how we did it exactly, but we were able to attatch it to one of the legs of the cart and make it swivel around. We did the same thing with the bar, but also added a diagonal support where it was bent so it wouldn't be so unstable. Then we took 2 1/4 inch peices of flatbar a decent enough length and made it hook near the ends so the keyboard could rest on it without sliding or falling off. It was a pretty badass and ghetto setup, but it worked!

So i guess, if you have access to a welder, a drill press (or even a regular hand held drill) and something to bend things with, this could be fairly easily accomplished.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Well it'd be an all "Klee Klamp" project, meaning none of the industrial tools are even necessary. The only problem I'd run into is mounting the chair, monitor, and keyboard desk. I don't think I'm going to screw through steel lol. Any ideas?

I mean, shit man, my options are endless: http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/store/components/kee-klamp.html

Here's a video about them, and here's the original topic I pulled this from:

Original idea:
          http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/projects/computer-gaming-chair/#

The video:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SXjwiZgTSk
          • Artistic Artistic x 1
          • Feb 27, 2012
            I never even thought of that lol. That seems 1000x easier.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Are you inclined in this type of engineering field? I'm trying to come up with some cheap (<$150-$200) ideas since some of these parts are $25+. I started back in June and became sidetracked with some personal issues so I never really finished my sketches (even lost my damn notebook).
            • Feb 27, 2012
              I love hands on work like that. Trades is where my love is, since i love the precision and math involved. But that is pretty costly. Our CNC cart cost us maybe $20 in materials (including any waste we had that couldn't be used later) Making your own parts is much cheaper, it just takes more time.
            • Feb 3, 2012
              You could always plan a heist in GTA 5. :wink:
            • Jun 11, 2012