Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

"The Walking Dead"

Discussion in Gaming started by slisher, Jan 7, 2013

1. May 20, 2011
    Alright, so I was looking to get me a new zombie game that contains a real good storyline. Snooping around, I came across one name that has been recommended by many people on the web: The Walking Dead.

I've never seen nor played this game before. After watching a trailer or two, I got disappointed that the graphics are like "cartoon-y", yet I'm still considering of getting it.

Is there anyone here that is familiar with this game and should I get it? It's currently got 50% off on Steam.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    This isn't what you think it is. It's actually just following the show's story line, not so much a zombie game.
  3. May 20, 2011
    I did see a TV-show named after it, I just didn't realize the game was made towards the show.

Many folks on pF play DayZ as well, is that something to try out?
  4. Aug 10, 2012
    Dayz is becoming a stand alone game, so if you're interested in buying it, you may as well wait for the game to come out
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    Isn't it called WarZ now? Or is that completely different? I'm still completely lost on what's going on with DayZ or WarZ or whatever the hell it is on Steam right now.
  6. Aug 10, 2012
    Completely different. WarZ was its 'own' game that completely died and scammed a lot of people. So bad that steam removed it from their store and people tried getting refunds.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    Yea their website hyped it up, but the gameplay looked fucking terrible. It was just slowly running around endlessly until you reach a badly textured town.
  8. May 20, 2011
    Cool, I guess I can wait it out then. Is it any good btw?
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    Still kind of boring-ish. It's a mod for Arma 2, and you do a lot of running around. The graphics aren't all that great and the textures are rough. A lot of people like it I hear but lately it has just been getting hacked like crazy. Example: People with infinite health killing you in 1 hit or spawning helicopters/etc.
  10. Jan 12, 2012
    not sure where the bad graphics and textures come from.
  11. Jun 11, 2012
    Alright the game isn't your traditional run and shoot type. Telltale had always had interactive heavy games. The Walking Dead game is inspired by the Comic and not the show and run in parallel with the comic. Also the game is 180% better then the show.

With that said the game is really well done because you are playing for the story and the choices. Every single choices you make affect how the game transpired from start to end. There are 5 episodes in this season and season 2 will be released this year. so let's say you make a decision in chapter 1 of episode 1, that decision will matter, for example, in chapter 4 pf episode 5. To this day I still find that the Fallout series are the best game made due to how invested you are and how your choices matter. At that extend, you can craft a game which leads you to define your own enjoyment. But that doesn't mean that there isn't any walking or action and that games ask you to press a button. You have to go through field of farms and cities, solve puzzles, stealth, and shoot among other things.

Again you are playing for the story and it's a very well written one. Suspense, thrill, and zombies are well put together. If you find the cartoonny feel of the game a dealbreaker, I was the same and once I passed the 5min mark it become beautiful to look at instead of hyper realism that FPS are going for where everything looks so muddy and uncanny. I found the design of the game to go hand in hand with the comic because it contrast the characters reaction and speeches and something happens better than and FPS.

I would have bought this games at the 60$ mark because it's worth more than the 29.99$ full price that it was selling. This game needs to have more exposure because it does a great justice for gaming where a story driven game trump a FPS/Graphics/Multiplayer driven game. And by having multiple seasons set to come out in the next years, this game will be superb.

@Danmaku and I have been chatting in steam regarding our decision and why we chose certain things instead of others. If a game can inspired such debates, it's bloody hell worth it to get it.

Also whatever you do, DO NOT read/watch/discuss any plot of the game until you finished it. The story is amazing and you need to experience it by yourself and not through someone else. Tears were had due some aspect of the story and how certain things came together.

Edit: there are mistakes so sorry for that. I wrote this between my GTA4 modding sessions.
    Also you can read Danmaku review however it contains spoiler so it's up to you
    http://plaguefest.com/threads/the-walking-dead-contains-spoilers.12624/
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
      Benderius, Jan 7, 2013 Last edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez, Jan 7, 2013
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Wow, yeah now that I look up more screenshots it looks better in some parts. I've only watched a few Youtube gameplays and honestly it wasn't appealing. It wasn't really any zombies, mostly just people killing each other, and constant running around boring looking open fields. Honestly I thought that's all it was from the 3-4 gameplay videos I watched.
    • May 20, 2011
      Thanks Bender, great input. I think I'll get it today.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      IMO The Walking dead is much more a storyline rather than a real 3rd person or firstperson shooter where you can kill zombies with all the pletora of gore 24/7.
      I loved the Walking Dead and for me it was one of the best games of 2012 I have ever bought. This is because I love storybased games, and this game really hit the nail on that genre.

If your looking for a game where you can shoot zombies all the time and so on, I suggest going for the standalone version of Dayz (idk the name though, forgot it).
      There are older games such as L4D2 and Land of the Dead and so on, Dead Horde is fine as well but a bit different on it's own and very difficult till the point of being unable to beat some stages...

Idk what else is out there. There are nowadays more zombie games out than anything else :smile:
    • Oct 29, 2010
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Jan 6, 2013
        TWD is a great game in my opinion, and so far I haven't got any further then episode 1. But I like it a lot. Its pretty story-based, like the previous posts says. And the choices affects the ending. What makes this game fun, and not boring at all. For me at least not. Never read the comics though.. But have seen all the episodes on the series. And I can't wait for when the series start again.
      • May 5, 2011
        The Walking Dead: Get it! You'll love it, It's story line and what you decide through out the chapter decides how it goes/ends.

DayZ: Pretty good, still needs more fix but overall pretty fun with lots of people. Unless you don't mind playing alone.
      • May 20, 2011
        So, should I go ahead and watch the series/read the comics first or should I just get the game?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk
      • May 27, 2008
      • Jun 11, 2012
        You can do either or. I would suggest to watch the show and play the game since it's not the same story. The show is based on the comic but the game was only inspired by it and runs in parallel with the comic story. If you get far enough in the show you can then read the comic but don't read too far so that you won't spoil the story. Else you will have already read the whole story and the show may seem meh when the story is being developed.