Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

The Word "Faggot"

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Bella, Feb 7, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 14, 2010
    Yes, faggot means a bundle of sticks, and it may also mean a cigarette or a meatball in the UK, but keep in mind how often people talk about bundles of sticks and use the word faggot. Also keep in mind that this server is not located in the UK. The word faggot is more commonly used as a slang word, originally referring to the gay community as an offensive meaning.

"faggot: offensive term for an openly homosexual man"

Now, here's my viewpoint on all of this. Personally, I am not offended by this because I am a girl, so It's pretty much meaningless if someone were to direct this at me, but my brother, however, happens to be homosexual. He says, and I quote "I really don't like when people call me a faggot online. I know I'm gay, but it's hurtful because they make it seem as if I'm doing something wrong. Is there something wrong with me, Bebe?(The name he calls me)" I don't find it necessary to call someone the most derogatory version of gay they can think of (Faggot). Gay, Queer, Fag, Fairy, and Homo - All usually offensive. It's fine to state that someone is gay if you're talking about their sexual orientation, but to use it as a substitute for "stupid" is just as equally offensive as the N word. Yes, this may be my opinion, but that's how rules are made. Based on logic, and opinions.

I don't want to argue with anyone on here, so please keep this thread as professional/mature as humanly possible. We're all adults here, so let's have an adult conversation.
  2. Dec 26, 2010
    I'm not offended by the word, but I don't use it, because it really is only used one way. I'll sometimes say something is gay when I'm pissed off, but even then I won't direct it at people.

I personally believe that if I were gay I probably would not be offended by it, but that's mostly because I don't really take offense to much of anything. However I am not in those shoes so I don't agree with using it.
  3. Oct 29, 2010
    I find it offensive you think all gay people think alike =/
  4. Jul 20, 2010
    This issue has already been addressed in the past and the word faggot is fine for use in the server.
  5. Oct 29, 2010
    Very recently infact, this is what I was trying to get through to you Bella XD
  6. Jun 4, 2006
    This AGAIN?! Fucking hell, how hard is it to understand that the use of the word is all about CONTEXT. If it is used in a demeaning and hateful way then of course it's against the rules, but if you call someone a faggot because they broke your cade... come on...

I'll give you an example:

Player: "Jeff you're a fucking faggot I bet your asshole eats 12 inch black dicks for dinner and gargles buckets of cum for dessert!" - Obviously the use of faggot here is toward homosexuals. This is against the rules.

Player: "Jeff you fucking faggot why the fuck did you ruin my cade!" - Faggot used here is not toward homosexuals, it's cause Jeff was well... being a faggot (Thanks CK).

It's pretty simple to understand.
  7. Nov 14, 2010
    I never said that. I was giving one perspective. I never stated that ALL gay men will find this offensive. But sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to.

So a topic can't be discussed through a different perspective in hopes of getting something out of it now? I'm simply talking about how I disagree with something, I never said anything about changing the rules on the server. Yes, that would be nice, since obviously other people are bothered by this from previous threads, but I'm just voicing an opinion.

Those were very nice examples of situations where "Faggot" is used, and I see how you're seeing it. But you can't tell me a gay man seeing or hearing someone say that isn't going to be offended. You're suggesting that Faggot(gay people), also means stupid.

When people throw the N word around, they aren't always trying to use it in a mean way, sometimes that's their lingo and they say that so casually with every sentence, in no way trying to offend anyone. But no matter what, we must enforce this word being against the rules because of it's history. The word "Faggot" has a history as well.

8. Oct 22, 2010
    faggot isn't as bad as the N word, because blacks were slaves and gays were not yet jews were mass murdered and yet everyone still hates them QQ
  9. Nov 14, 2010
    It may not be AS bad because of it's extensive impact and such, yet it inflicts the same feelings. It's a bully word that Americans have made into something so much more. Gay people kill themselves every year for being bullied for being gay. The word "Faggot" is a contributing factor in this suicidal murder.

If you wanna get technical with it, while including online activity, this would be considered cyber-bullying. Also known as Griefing and Trolling.
  10. Jan 21, 2011
    Faggot does mean stupid to those who use it like Louis CK used it, but they are not necessarily saying that gay people are stupid.

And it has generally been used as a derogatory term for many different people, whereas the N word has had one consistent meaning through out its history.
  11. Oct 22, 2010
    yes, but the meaning has changed ALOT, we are not referring to gays but to annoyances, like getting shot, stuck in traffic, and so on, we aren't beating anyone with a stick or making fun of anyones sexuality, that is the difference, you can contrast ifs and buts to the N word all day long, but in the end its still different, and your point is moot. thats just the way it is, welcome to america.
  12. Jun 4, 2006
  13. Oct 29, 2010
    I was merely remarking on your lack of options in the poll, some obviously are offended by the word and some are not so yes or no doesn't quite cut it.

Also thank you, however, I was in no way offended so no need to apologize. :smile:
  14. Nov 14, 2010
    That video was pretty sane, though that's his opinion, such as the one I'm stating.

The first part is what I'm trying to get through to everyone, but the second part is false. People use the N word daily, not meaning what it did back then. I'm not saying I approve of the N word being used, I'm just saying, if you allow yourself to hear "Faggot" to be used in context, then the N word should be fine according to how it's used as well.
  15. Nov 14, 2010
  16. Oct 22, 2010
    you have to have thick skin to play on the internet, you need to have it, cuz people on the internet really don't give two shits, and some people who know you get offended by it, will use it against you. thats just the way it is.
  17. Oct 29, 2010

I agree with...
  18. Jul 20, 2010
    Look it's a word that people mainly use here for people that are being annoying or stupid. Yes I know it has another meaning but it comes down to the context. If someone breaks my cade or fucks it up I'm going to call him/her a faggot. Why because they WERE BEING ANNOYING. It's a word, if you get easily offended over a word then I don't know what to tell you. I've been called many names because I'm mexican you don't see me crying about it or wanting to kill myself. It's a part of peoples usage and will always be. I'm a very blunt person it's how I am and will always think this way.
  19. Nov 14, 2010
    I'm not talking about just the internet. I'm talking generally about the word "faggot" being used. Yes, you gotta have thick skin, but not in a video game. It's not a line-of-battle. Video Games are for people to have fun. Yes, there are competitive moments, but it's all in good fun. I know I wouldn't want someone to call me a slut every time I played a video game. It would just end up making me mad, which is the key goal of a troll.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.