Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

The Word Negro compared to racial slurs

Discussion in Admin Abuse started by Lethedethius, Dec 31, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 31, 2011
    *I do apologize for any racial slurs used, they are used for educational purposes only*

Don't get me wrong I don't consider this admin abuse, granted some of the admins are uneducated idiots who don't know the difference but they haven't acted unjustly-yet.

I would like to make a comment though, didn't see the best place to post it, You say no racial slurs, yet you have banned some other people for saying the word Negro, or muted them. Either educate yourselves and fix your rules with exact words or go home. Negro is a descriptive word, it is not a slur by any means.

So First lets define racial slur. Since a lot of the people on the server use Wiki anyways and "Racial Slur" is not an actual dictionary word defined I will use Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs , notice you will not find the word negro by it's self, some words are negroid, N*****, and some other words but not negro.

Now lets define Negro, this is a word in the dictionary:

A bit of information, the Army is ZERO TOLERANCE for racism and descrimination, Great! Guess what, NEGRO is acceptable, not liked but acceptable. Proof: The Army Command Policy - GOOGLE IT!
    Wait no here you go: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apd.army.mil%2Fpdffiles%2Fr600_20.pdf&ei=wbH_TozwBOLx0gHPocXFAg&usg=AFQjCNE6ZXBWvu5uge4w6HUdopru78ccgA BECAUSE I'm such a nice guy I found it for you! You can look on Page 57, or you can just search the word negro and it will come up. (CTRL+F IN ADOBE)

Any other interpretation on this that it is NOT a racial slur is just that, someones interpretation, which is word of mouth from a peon.

I'm sorry, this may seem as a rant, but any banning for use of the word negro is admin abuse, because it's a legitimate word. In fact any of you who have been around for more than your 18th birthday may remember a time when elderly black people called each other negro, or colored folk. You absolutely have the right to manage your servers how you want, but you will be viewed and judged based on your actions, if you ban people for saying the word negro then you have proved yourself to be uneducated-bottom line. There is no construing of this word, only the misuse of it by idiots. If you have questions please hit me up in game or by my AIM: Lethedethius.
  2. Sep 26, 2010
    First of all, this is one of the most constructive posts I've ever read on the forums :thumbsup:

Secondly, we're supposed to make bans based on the context or situation itself (i.e. banning someone is always kept as a last resort unless an immediate ban is warranted).

Thirdly, even though it may not be used as a "racial slur," we would still punish an individual since it's considered rule bending. People will try to dodge rules and ultimately punishments by altering words or sentences to avoid breaking them.

It is what it is.
  3. Sep 25, 2010
    I'll repeat the words from Brian about this case.

Max says : hey jack what are you?
    Jack says : I'm negro.

That is totally fine. What is not fine is someone using the word like this:
    Max says : Man fuck those negros, they're dirty. That's not ok.

So once again :
  4. Dec 7, 2010
    Please indicate the name of the admin who may have improperly took action on a completely legitimate term of nergo. If there is an admin in the community who is unaware of legitimate terms such as negro, Nigeria (a country in Africa), we will properly educate that individual.
  5. Jul 14, 2010
    I was on at the time of the racist language spouting, people were saying nwords/bypassing it and some people were saying negro as well to bypass. In no case was anyone using it in a 'legitimate' context and you were indeed bending the rules.
  6. Jun 19, 2011
    Let me repeat it again! CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT!

It all depends on the situation like the others said and not purely the word itself. If the word(s) is/are used to take place the racial words then that's not okay; in other cases where the words are purely used for its meanings then it's a totally different story.
  7. Aug 18, 2006
  8. Jul 1, 2010
    Just to reinforce everyone else, it is NOT okay to use it to get around a rule and all depends on the CONTEXT that it is used in.
  9. Oct 29, 2010
    It MIGHT have something to do with context, I'm not positive on this one though.
  10. Dec 31, 2011
    It's not even the context, they don't want to hear the word, truthfully I don't even know names because I don't pay attention. There are a lot of admins that abuse their authority

As I said before, there is no context for this word, it cannot be taken out of context. Ray I see your in the army, hooah to you too, been in almost 8 years, E-5, I would call a Sergeant Major an IDIOT if he used context in regards to Negro. It's authorized by the cited Army Regulation, there for you cannot counsel a Soldier on it, else they could file an IG Complaint. Every admin on this forum has tossed around the word Context, there is no context

Look you puppy fool, notice the word puppy MAKES no sense, yet y'all are saying you can punish for it.

Regards to muffinfuhrer

Where is the rule that says you can't use Negro, a non racial slur word? I'm sorry, everyone from Detonator, Harvey, etc on up to Ray have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Again I'm repeating myself but I just re-read what y'all said to make absolutely sure I respond to each. Penguin was one such admin I believe actually that said you can't just spout the word, saying Negro doesn't mean a damn thing, it refers to it's legitimate term, IF you could use it in Context. If you don't like the word, then put it in the motd and rule book, other wise pack your bags and go home. That simple.
  11. Dec 31, 2011
    Further more each and every one of y'all have just spouted off without reading my post, read the dictionary definition. If that's unacceptable then please refrain from using any other word in the dictionary as well and choose to speak another language.
  12. Dec 31, 2011
    Ray, what rank are you? I have to ask because your sporting the afghani uniform with your kevlar helmet with your damn nvg holder but no nvg... it just looks goofy...Take off the rhino mount before you take a picture private! I know your drill sergeant told you DRESS TO IMPRESS right? ok I'm done I just had to bitch about that, I'm a sergeant 24/7 and I have to correct my troops (the entire army) when they look foolish.
  13. Jul 1, 2010
    Saying the word n*gger, getting warned to stop, and then saying the word negro in the same context would be a very basic way that word would be illegal.
  14. Aug 1, 2011
    You don't seem to realize that this is not the army, and trying to use that as an argument is invalid.

Here we use context, if someone uses negro any other name involving a race of people in a derogatory fashion, we will punish for it.

It's not a complicated thing to wrap your head around, I don't care what the US Army's regulations are on this, this is Plague Fest.

6. Do not use any discriminatory speech.
    This includes but is not limited to racism, sexism, hate speech, or any form of harmful speech used only to offend someone.
    Punishment: Warn -> Kick -> Permanent Ban
    Note: Punishment may escalate to an immediate permanent ban depending on the severity of the offense.
  15. Dec 31, 2011
    Ok wait, Devious Toast are you an idiot? I used that as a reference and to make the argument legitimate. This is not plague fest this is an intellectual discussion, this is a web domain, of which I own two by the way, please don't try to be a billy badass and look like an idiot. The point is, and I'll put this in little simple terms for you simple toast, since you can't infer the meaning of what I said. If the United States Army is willing to put in a regulation that the Word Negro can be used, then that means thousands of JAG Lawyers have reviewed it, So lets see-Plague Fest or Lawyers? OH wait plague fest is governed by United States law, since it's not only in the United States. But the United States owns the rights to the Internet, Devious please don't post again, your argument is invalid and you have not realized or understood what I said, be thankful that I have enough lager in me to make a normal man puke already else I'd really make you look foolish. Seriously don't post unless you have input, whining is not a compliment to ones self being.
  16. Feb 18, 2011
    You argue with no point. We will NOT change our policies on this and it is absurd to think we will do so.
  17. Oct 29, 2010
    You've successfully gone from a legitimate poster to making yourself look like an idiot. :locked:
  18. Aug 18, 2006
    Way to go off topic.

In case you didn't know (wait, you should know this since you're an E-5, right?), all U.S. troops are issued the Multicam pattern once they are deployed to Afghanistan. As far as that loadout goes, I bought it with my own money. I can't afford an expensive pair of Gen3 NVG's...
  19. Apr 4, 2009
    Just to be clear this is OUR community we can make any rules we want and enforce them in anyway we want, the word negro is enforced in context because trolls use it to get around the rules in a racist manner.

There will be no discussion on this topic it will not change, as Peter said in your other post if it continues to be brought up restrictions and bans will be handed out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.