Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

this thread, my friends, is a thread that does not need a title

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by DopeScope, Apr 14, 2012

1. Jul 19, 2011
    So I have been venturing around the world of CSS and, as you all may know, there is a lot of criticism encircling pF. Today, i met someone who actually seemed to have some insight as to why other severs hate on pF. There are of course the basic reasons like pF having such a large load of traffic, but he said the reason was because "pF runs off the money of the community, while the owner of other servers have to pay the majority of the money". I think there might be some truth in this since pF has so many people paying for donator/admin.
    I remember a thread about where all the money went. Kyle's answer said that the monthly cost was $8700/m. A lot of other server hosts have just as many servers as us and yet they do not have the income that pF has coming in each month. I am not exactly sure how the costs are calculated, but from a game host site it seems that a 64 slot server costs about $64 a month (http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/css-counter-strike-server.php). ehh my question wasn't clear and my post is a bit cluttered. uhh so is it true that the owners of pf pay for their servers off my money from the community while other server owners pay for their servers with the money from their pocket?
  2. Jul 5, 2008
    yes you can buy a gameserver from gameservers... but its widely known that they overload theyre boxes and cut off alot of base stuff you need when running a server.
    and yes this community survives off its donators
  3. Apr 9, 2007
  4. Jul 5, 2008
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Jun 17, 2011
      You do realize that no one is forced to pay for anything on pF right?
      It was a decision made by the players to support the server that they love to play in.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Just because a server hosting company sells cheap servers doesn't mean the higher ups profit 200 gugillian dollars from us. We have some of the best server hardware out there, not to mention the largest servers. This doesn't mean they cost 64 dollars a month. Seriously, use a little common sense. Regarding payments.... pF isn't a non-profit corporation, they don't need to post every bit of money they earn and spend..

As for your last bit, when you donate to the community, you donate to the SERVER. Don't you think it would be stupid if your money was going to a person rather than the server? You start a server with your own money, if you are a shitty server then you find yourself spending countless sums of money to keep your server alive. We are a big community, it is a little obvious we use the donation money.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jan 10, 2009
      • Feb 18, 2011
        3 virtual dedicated=3 boxes
      • Mar 16, 2008
      • Jul 19, 2011
        Don't get me wrong, i am not implying anything by that post. i was simply bring up an issue and asking if it is true or not.
      • Mar 16, 2008
        Other than becoming more and more anoying. Please go rent one of those servers and try the gameplay with 64 people on them. Our boxes are customized to what we want and we upgrade them when we can.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Zing! Zing! x 1
        • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
        • Feb 18, 2011
          There is no issue, how people pay for their servers should be their business and theirs only. This is like me asking to borrow your paycheck to see what you got.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Though you're saying "if it is true or not" like we're doing something bad. Why the fuck would somebody like Kyle or Brian drop hundreds on servers out of their own pocket? Their time spent working on the servers and hard work put into them isn't good enough? Guess not. The money donated is supposed to SUPPORT the servers, that being keeping them running and working for us to play on.... (and here's the best part) FOR FREE.
        • Feb 18, 2011
          I still don't understand how it is better to pay out of your pocket and keep server donations.
        • Richard420
          This message by Richard420 has been removed from public view. Deleted by Richard420, Apr 14, 2012, Reason: STFU.
          Apr 14, 2012
        • Feb 18, 2011
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation loloolooloo

But yeah, it is right. NPR relies on donations, they don't pay for the radio stations out of their own pockets.