Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Time to upgrade my Celeron!

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Nov 21, 2014

1. Feb 27, 2012

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W 80 Gold + (Modular)
    SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120 GB

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU2 Cooler Overclocked

RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) @1866 Dual Channel (HX318C10FRK2/16)

Hard drive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Black, 2TB Seagate External (also a Barracuda)

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z

Headset: Siberia V2

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2014 Mechanical (Green Razer Switches)

All in all, i am pretty satisfied with this upgrade, especially on the RAM, holy shit i can play DayZ and Arma without getting a "running out of memory" warning.

My only dislike about this build is the Black Widow. When i first got it back in October, it worked pretty good except for the "?" key, which i had to press really hard a few times to get it to work right, and everything is fine. Now since about a week ago, my D key has barely been working. Sometimes it doesnt press, i have to press it really hard, or it presses multiple, which gets really fucking irritating when i'm bunnyhopping or even just trying to strafe in ZM/Competitive CSGO. Amazon return period is way over so i have to RMA it with razer.

The processor upgrade also definitely increased my frame rates big time, as my Core 2 Quad was bogging down my GPU. I used to get a steady 130~ fps in CSGO, now i get anywhere from 250-300+ (i have it locked at 300) My plan WAS to go with the 4790K, but the store wasn't allowed to sell them until a certain time, and even then you needed to have some kind of voucher blah blah blah, so i just went with the i5 4460 because in reality, i didn't really need an i7, but the price for it was amazing, which was the only real reason i was going to get the i7 4790K.

The Sound Blaster Z is also really nice, i like all of it's features, but it just doesn't configure right like my Creative XtremeGamer sound card (RIP) I would still be using that one, even over the SB Z, if my mother board had a PCI slot for it (i only have 2 or 3 PCI 1x Slots and 3 PCI-E 16x Slots) Before i got the SB Z, i had the Xonar DGX, and it fucking sucked ass. I can't believe i dropped $40 on that piece of shit. All it does is work, and even then it barely does that. The software looks cheap, and half the functions don't even work. The only thing i liked about the software was that you could change the Impedance depending on what your headset supported. But really all it did was make your headset louder. So whatever. If i were to recommend a sound card to anyone, get the Creative Xtreme Gamer, if you can find one, that is. By far the best sound card i have ever owned, and it was cheaper (or maybe the same price?) than the Xonar DGX

[IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Programming King Programming King x 1
      Tony The Tiger, Nov 21, 2014 Last edited by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Jan 11, 2015
    • Jun 11, 2012

Budget homie?
    • Jul 8, 2012

Also Tony consider adding DirectCanada and NCiX. They are pretty much the same and you can order from NCix them online and ship it to your house, pick it up at their store, or just go over there. Use http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/
    • Oct 24, 2013
      He's saying anything over 1000$! What a baller!
    • Aug 7, 2012
      :tiger: get a real job so you can get a respectable battle station
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 2, 2013
        awwww we wont be able to mock ur celeron anymore :sad:
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Here's what i'm looking at right now. I haven't compared prices to local computer stores yet, but all of these are available. So if price difference isn't that bad, i'll just get them from the stores instead of ordering shit.
          http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/p0p3y3Z/saved/KJNBD3
        • Jul 7, 2014
          build looks good tony, make sure you pick up an SSD. get one with read/write speeds both above 500 mbs. you can get a 250gb for roughly $100. highly recommend it.
        • Feb 8, 2013
          Wow, you're going to be hitting the fast lane with $1000 upgrade. Glad you're finally able to come up with the money.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          Its a big increase, but absolutely worth it lol.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
        • Feb 27, 2012
        • Jul 7, 2014
          • Jan 5, 2014
            • Stick with the i5 series. The difference between i7's and i5's is that i7's have hyper-threading, which is pretty much useless for gaming. It'll save you a chunk of cash.
            • 16GB of RAM is a bit overkill. 8GB is a great sweet-spot for gaming.
            • Even though you didn't want a new GPU, if you're only planning on gaming, getting a newer GPU is probably one of the biggest upgrades.
            If you're planning on overclocking, make sure you get a k-series CPU (e.g. i5-4690k) and an aftermarket cooler.

Right now, I'm using a Corsair 750d case, and I love it. Great look, tons of space, good-quality construction, and modular HDD cages. I just throw my HDDs in the 5.25" bays with some 3.5"-5.25" adapters and removed the HDD cages so it looks even cleaner.

But really, it's hard to give advice without knowing your goal.
            • What do you plan on doing with your computer? Just gaming? Video editing? Etc.?
            • Planning on running SLI/Crossfire down the line?
            • Planning on overclocking?
            • Planning on custom water-cooling down the line?
            • 1080p gameplay? 1440p gameplay?
            Beggar So, Nov 23, 2014 Last edited by Beggar So, Nov 23, 2014
          • Feb 27, 2012
            I also wanted 16 gb of RAM to be safe since i tend to run a lot of programs at the same time or use memory intensive programs. Im running 4gb and run out of memory pretty often. I'm not planning on overclocking or anything of that kind. I plan on mapping and gaming, so every little bit of processing power helps. Dont plan on doing water cooling, but im noy opposed to it either. And i dont plan on upgrading my displays right now, but maybe in a while. I dont want to upgrade my graphics card either, since i just bought it 6 months ago anf it still does a fantastic job.

Im still going to compare prices at the local computer stores. As it is i think im saving like $10 on the 4790k.
          • Jul 7, 2014
            TONY THAT SAME PROCESSOR IS NOW ON SALE VIA MICROCENTER.COM FOR $250
            Post Merged, Nov 25, 2014
            OR MAYBE ITS TIGERDIRECT.COM IM NOT SURE