Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Time to upgrade.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Mast3r_T0ast, Jan 2, 2012

1. Mar 25, 2011
    Hey everyone, I was looking to get a cheap, but good graphics card (Specifically for Battlefield 3) and i wanna try and stay under $150.
    I have 2 I've looked at, which meet the specs of the game.
    Here are the ones I've seen:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1440108&CatId=3669
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=851820&SRCCODE=WEBCRIT_Active&cm_mmc_o=-KeCjC2ybfwBCjCqHa-q7HaGW7CjC-gfbMw
    I just wanted some input to make sure they could possibly run BF3.
    ANY other card suggestions would be awesome! :thumbsup:
    Thanks in advance ^^
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    I'm quite hurt. You should read this, and if you have, read it again =D
    http://plaguefest.com/index.php?/topic/9653-my-new-diamond-hd-6770-graphics-card/page__pid__118115#entry118115
    The card is still at a nice price even though it's not on it's amazing sale anymore. And if you don't like that one specifically, there's a ton more like it.
  3. Feb 21, 2007
    prob the 6770 would be a decent choice for that price range.
  4. Mar 25, 2011
    1 question, is it a single slot, or a dual slot card?
    Last dual slot card i had kinda fried my mobo on my old pc due to not being able to fit and me forcing it because it was kinda pissing me off.... :wallbash:
  5. Mar 19, 2011
    I believe single slot though I'm not too sure but yeah Like Rets said definitely go with the 6770 great value for an awesome card maybe not the quite the great deal Quitely got but still an awesome buy. I'd probably buy one if I didn't waste my money making it rain in the clubs.
  6. Dec 6, 2011

It is a dual slot card, but I dont see how you can't fit it. I have a tiny ass Dell Inspiron 546. If there's some metal or some shit in the way, break out the Dremel cutter. (I had some random ass metal piece on the bottom of my case that has absolutely no business being there. I took care of it before my pics. I actually contacted Dell and asked them what the hell it was for, but apparently they don't make their own cases >.<)

Also, I wouldn't suggest getting the ones you picked out. They are good value cards but you'll hate BF3 with them. For $100-130 you can get a decent card that can run BF3 on most likely high or almost high settings at 1920x1080. If your 1600x900 or lower I bet you'd be almost maxing out.
  7. Mar 25, 2011
    My monitors highest resolution is 1600x900, so i guess thats what id be running on lmfao
    and it diddnt fit in my old pc because there was a circutboard part thing sticking out so far that it blocked the card from fitting in all the way :confused:
    just dont want to risk breaking this pc... i just got it like 3 weeks ago
    I will definitly have to check to see if any parts would be in the way, if not, I'll see you all on the battlefield!

Thanks for all the advise! It is GREATLY appreciated ^_^
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    Post a picture of your PC opened up. I'd like to help you more on space/etc.

***Also be sure that you have or are getting a sufficient power supply. Go onto the AMD's/Nvidia's website and look up the recommended PSU wattage. And be sure that your rails/volts/amps whatever (too tired to explain) are equal to or above the required amount for the GPU, or else your wattage would mean nothing. Getting a Cooler Master, Corsair, Antec, etc. would probably guarantee you will not need to even look that info crap up.

Ex. - My 6770 requires 450w. I bought a 500w Cooler Master PSU.
  9. Mar 25, 2011
    I actually had to rebuild my parents pc with my power brick in it xD
    I have a 500w OCZ StealthXtreme :smile:
    I know its more than enough power, and yes, it has all the necessary cords
    Pic will be up as soon as I'm back online lol
  10. Mar 25, 2011
    ^Full view of my mobo
    [IMG]
    ^What I'm pointing at is the little bastard device that broke my mobo on my old pc, the one on this seems A LOT smaller, so fitting wise I'm almost certain it will fit.
    [IMG]
    ^Closer view of my mobo
    [IMG]
    ^I believe thats the PCI Express slot, I know some cards now adays have that double decker monitor jack, those wont fit in my pc lol

Sorry the pics are such shitty quality, I don't have a camera, so I had to use my iPod lol

Also, would you need the specs? I'm installing Belarc Advisor now for future PC checks

I just noticed all my pictures are upside down.... lmfao

Just found this too :smile:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=337372&CatId=7005
    it seems perfect, but id need to double check which way it would fit into my pc. Upright/upside down, cuz if it was upside down it might hit my processor fan :confused:
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    shit this is one odd computer. everything seems out of place (if im looking at it upside down). You should be able to fit a card my size in your case, it'll be 1.5inches in thickness and just a tad under 9inches long.

Here, ill save you the time of going back to my other topic.

[IMG]

You should notice how much space you have to work with in just the image comparison. Your case has the room, just that transistor is in an odd place, but it shouldn't be any problem.

I just saw your video card link, that should be perfect to fit. Since the custom cooler doesn't come near that transistor.
  12. Mar 25, 2011
    Just realized it will fit. In fact, I might have more space in my rig than yours.
    I compared the picture of my motherboard with the picture of the graphics card, it would fit perfectly. The transistor is a tiiiiiinnnnyyyyyyyy bit longer than the PCI Express adapter, but it is nothing compared to my old pc. It sticks out about as far as the width of a toothpick if not smaller past the port.
    I'm asking my parents to get this card for me for my birthday on the 14th, I already asked if I could get one, they said it depends on the price.
    So HOPEFULLY they'll be cool with this one lol

Thank you all for the help guys, it is much appreciated ^_^
  13. Aug 18, 2006
    Sure, those two cards will run it... On low settings. :confused:

Get the 550 Ti FPB. Not just a 550, or a 550Ti. A 550Ti FPB (Free Performance Boost) - it will give you the best bang for your buck

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625
  14. Mar 25, 2011
    Ray, ive decided to get the Radeon HD 6770 :smile:
  15. Dec 6, 2011
    GTX 550 Ti vs. 6770
    Your paying $50 less for something that does almost the exact same performance, or maybe 2-3% lower.
    Also, you should post your specs, just want to see if there'd be any bottlenecking.

And I just noticed something on your mobo. Are you sure that picture is upside down? if it is, then we may have a problem. Is the PSU on the top or the bottom of the case?
  16. Mar 25, 2011
    The PSU Is on the top, but trust me, there is enough room. Those pics are just upside down and really close and horrible. I have like 6in clearance from the PCI-E Slot to the PSU :thumbsup:

And my specs are:
    650GB SATA HDD
    Windows 7 64bit
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    Intel HD Integrated graphics
    Soon to come: 500w OCZ SteathXtreme PSU
    Intel Core i3 3.10 GHz Processor
    PCI-E 16x slot
    Anymore ya needa know just ask :razz:
  17. Dec 6, 2011
    Sorry I just realized you updated this (hard to keep track of threads that drop off of the "recent" list). Anyways, you seem to have almost the same hardware as me, probably 10% better with the processor (if it's a quad-core that is). Have you gotten your card yet? And if you haven't, make sure you update. I would love to see a few basic benchmarks if you have the games. Can do a battle of the 6770's :starwars: