Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Top 5 Books Everyone Should Read

Discussion in Entertainment started by ::1/128, Jun 8, 2012

1. Oct 27, 2010
    So I'm not too sure how much everyone reads on here but I suspects almost everyone has a few books that they have read which they find inspiring and moving. The idea of this thread is to recommend those books to others and discusses why the top five books you've ever read should be read by everyone given the chance.

1. War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)

This book is baffling; I cannot conceive the scope of this literary achievement. Tolstoy puts forward a cast of characters that so accurately and beautifully describes human nature, life, and death that cannot fail to move any reader.
    This is the best book ever written. I beg of you to recommend one better if you can.

2. Anna Karennina (Leo Tolstoy)

This book is largely a discussion of love and how it is that people love one another. It is beautiful, inspiring, and true.

3. Mother Night (Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

This book follows the life of a WWII Nazi propagandist throughout both the war and after. The book explores the extent to which our actions are carried throughout time. Its short, funny on occasion, and moving.

4. The Sound and The Fury (William Faulkner)

This book follows the life of a woman through the eyes and mentality of a cast of characters that surround her among which includes a severely mentally challenged individual. Its an amazing book that explores the best and worst of human nature. Get the version that has color print, it majesty it easier to read.

5. Mobey Dick (Herman Melville)

A wonderful expiration of passions, convictions, and life. Its got a big monster and is beautifully written; everyone will love it.
    • Like Like x 5
      ::1/128, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by ::1/128, Jun 8, 2012
    • Jun 3, 2012

also

I lol'd
    • Mar 31, 2010
      2. At the Mountains of Madness
      3. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
      4. I Heard You Paint Houses
      5. Les Miserables
    • Oct 27, 2010
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Books? What is this thing you call books? :dontknow:
    • May 26, 2012
      1. Lord of the Flies (Truley eye opening :razz:)
      2. Eragon and the rest of the alagasia series. (Fantastic Fantasy)
      And ofc, star trek books just win
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jun 3, 2012

Alamut
        The Sparrow
        World War Z
        Slaughterhouse V
        Salem's Lot
        Atlus Shrugged
        • Like Like x 1
        • Aug 1, 2011
          Alagasia series? >.> its called the Inheritance Cycle!!

Books in my top five besides the INHERITANCE CYCLE

1. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
          2. The Last Apprentice Series by Joseph Delaney
          3. The Doom Cycle by Dafydd ab Hugh
          4. Mutation by Robin Cook
          5. Toxin by Robin Cook
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • May 11, 2011
            no lord of the rings really there great books
          • Sep 26, 2010
            My favorite anti-war book walks you through the German trenches of WW1 and presents how hellish and destructive war can be. I'll never forget the scene where the main characters are discussing how a nation decides to go to war, and they concluded that only a few individuals declare war while an entire nation fights it for them. So true. Wars should be fought within a closed arena for those who make it.
            2) Dante's Inferno
            Which level of hell would you be placed following your untimely demise? This book is surprisingly graphic considering it was published around 1317 AD. I'll never forget the "Sowers of Discord" where a large sword-wielding demon tears bodies apart while they move around him and collect their parts, only to be hacked into pieces again. Since they divided people in life, they will remain divided in death.
            2) George Orwell's 1984
            Are you drawn to totalitarian-style governments that oppress their citizens through military might and the use of fear tactics? Are you wanting to know what western nations will eventually become? Read this one.
            4) The Biology of Belief
            This book introduced me to the rising field of epigenetics, which claims the environment has a much greater impact on our biology than previously thought.
            5) The Power of Now: A Spiritual Guide to Enlightenment
            I "present" to you the book which recognizes the consequences of living in the past or the future rather than living and enjoying what's in front of your eyes. It's filled with philosophical ideas and views, and offers ways to better understand how your mind works.
          • May 15, 2011
            1. Fahrenheit 451 - Amazing book. I don't read ALOT or at all, but I can say this one is amazing, and deserves a read.
            2. Are you my Mother - Pictures. :D And a really touching story. <3
            3. The Missing Piece - Don't judge me. I love picture books. :<
            4. Where the Sidewalk Ends - Really, they are good. Short, but you can read them again and again.
            5. Falling up - Another great children's book by a great author.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jul 19, 2011
              Just read the 11th grade AP Lang and 12th grade AP Lit books. These include: Moby Dick, Scarlett Letter, The Catcher in the Rye (fantastic, its an easy read and yet is so great), The Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Frankenstein, Beowulf, and i guess Lord of the Flies. These are all 10th grade and AP Lang books. I have yet to take AP lit (next year). These are meant for a mature audience that is able to appreciate the rhetorical techniques used in these works of art.
            • Apr 2, 2011
              Fulgrim (Part of the Horus Heresy Series) by Graham McNeill
              The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
              Anthem by Ayn Rand
              The Art of War by Sun Tzu
            • Feb 1, 2011
              2. 1984 by George Orwell
              3. The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
              4. Candide by Voltaire
              5. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
            • May 14, 2011
              1. Inheritance Cycle (I've read Eragon x7, Eldest x6, Brisinger x3, Inheritance x1)
              2. Bravo Two Zero
              3. Harry Potter Series (Reminds me of my childhood moments, reading it as a child, Ive read through this series at least x10, well book 1-5, after that i grew out of them)

Um I enjoy reading Chris Ryan & Anthony Horowitz books but nothing specific.
            • Oct 17, 2011
              Lol do they have movies for these? I hate reading books and it makes me go to sleep but I enjoyed reading some crime books and action in the past. I would rather watch it on tv and not read it.
              Edit: here are my favourites: Katman and Paul colonial book series(like 14 books of that mostly explain how racism and being tough is stupid and also action and guns and not to mention love).
              Super Mario, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by Super Mario, Jun 8, 2012
            • Aug 18, 2006
              This. I highly recommend it, too. I've read a quite a few books, but one of the books that stands out as one that everyone should read is:

Ordinary People - Ordinary People is Judith Guest's first novel. Published in 1976, it tells the story of a year in the life of the Jarretts, an affluent suburban family trying to cope with the aftermath of two traumatic events.

There is also a film based off this book, which I also recommend you watch.
            • Apr 1, 2012
              but Alex Rider series is awesome
              others include:
              -Night by Elie Wiesel
              -The Call of the Wild by Jack London
            • Apr 12, 2012
              Good list 128.. except for Moby Dick haha. Its a deep and thought provoking book, yes, but its incredibly dry and somewhat difficult to 'get into' and that ruins it for me :frown:

Orwell, Asimov, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Tolkien are my favorite authors. You really can't go wrong with anything they've written. I especially recommend Asimov to all of you in particular, as I imagine people's tastes on a gaming forum probably trend toward science fiction/fantasy :smile: Asimov is "the grand master" of science fiction. He developed science fiction from the near-nothing that it was in 1900 to the level it is still at today... and he did it in the 20s, 30s, and 40s. His Foundation series beat out The Lord of the Rings for the Hugo award (I think, not sure about the award) for best fantasy/sci-fy series ever.

edit: I also highly recommend earlier posters suggestions of: Dune, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Farenheit 451, Great Gatsby, Beowulf, and Art of War
            • Dec 6, 2011
              • Agree Agree x 1