Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Toyota MR2 SW20 Car build

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Wasnt6, Aug 17, 2010

1. Jul 4, 2010
    I currently drive a stock 2006 Honda Fit that my parents got me four years ago as a 16th birthday present. From 14-17 I worked at Elmer's as a busboy/waiter and made minimum wage (about $8/hour) working about 24 hours a week while in high school. I pretty much worked there for about 44 months before I quit since I was leaving the country for two months. But, the main reason why I quit was my friend's dad offered me a job as a freight broker considering I was going to be a business major in college. I came back from my vacation and got trained by his friend who is also a freight broker. I didn't have an hourly pay rate as I am getting paid commission, which is about 5% of the total cost of the goods to be shipped before taxes. Since its a small company, but I am the only freight broker for about 3-5 drivers, not much drivers, but paid more than being a waiter. Financially I make at least $3200 a month. Also the bills I pay for is my family's cell phone plan which is about $110 a month, but due to my employer he gives me $50 a month for my phone bill so the cost on my end is about $60 a month. I have a 24 hour fitness gym membership which is $29.99/month. I will be going to a university this fall as I got my associates in Business and Marketing a few months ago. I calculated each term cost of the university it will be about $3800 a term including books. I spend about $40 in gas each week, and $100 a month for full coverage insurance. Also I give myself a $300 allowance to freely spend on things each month. I plan to build a Toyota MR2 for track racing since my friends are getting into with theirs. I plan to buy a shell without an engine and transmission from a friend for $600 with a clean title. My budget for this build is $20k, may increase over time dependent on funds. I don't like going below a certain amount in my savings. I've done my research and I will be financially stable for this project since I still live at home :thumbsup:.

Power goal:
    360 rwhp N/A (no turbo/supercharger for newbies)
    330 lb-torque to wheels

Toyota MR2 SW20 Hard top N/A: (Picture from wiki for those that don't know)

Build list
    Toyota 2GR-FE (same engine as lotus evora) ~$1800 Online vendor
    Toyota E153 Transmission $450 sourced from a friend
    Spec Stage 4 clutch $379 online vendor
    Fidenza fly wheel $300
    Custom made headers $600 Local performance shop
    Custom made Y-pipe $600 ^^
    True Berk dual pipe $499 Online vendor
    Custom harness $399 Online Vendor
    Custom motor mounts: $800 online vendor

Cost: ~$5827

Brand new interior carpet ~$400 online vendor
    2x Corbeau FX-1 Bucket seats w/ rails $500 sourced from a friend
    2x Corbeau 5 point 3inch harness $100 ^^
    dommenator Shift surround $20 online vendor
    Custom OEM Style Dashboard $100 online vendor
    Custom OEM style Center console $80 ^^
    2x OEM door panel $99
    NRG Steering wheel w/ hub $200 online vendor
    NRG Weighted Shift Knob $50 online vendor
    Autopower 4 point roll cage $499 Local Performance shop
    Custom made Shifter bushings $40

Cost: ~$2089

OEM ball joint/tie rod set $150 Online vendor
    Custom Front sway bar reinforcement plate $150 ^^
    Suspension technique Sway bar kit $280 ^^
    KW V3 coil overs $1800 local Performance shop
    Sway bar endlinks $99 Online vendor
    Prothane Urethane Bushing kit $85 ^^
    EMSpowered Front Strut bar $229 ^^
    Stage 2 Big brake kit $800 ^^

Cost: $3593

MadPsi front/rear fender flares $600 online vendor
    VIS Techno R side skirts $180 ^^
    VIS Carbon fiber hood Border style $400 Online vendor
    VIS Carbon fiber trunk $375 online vendor
    XVS carbon fiber Engine lid $399 ^^
    Clear front turn signals $80 ^^
    Rev6 Quad head lamp basic kit $300 ^^
    FX-R projector $145 ^^
    HID Kit 5000k 55watts $60 ^^
    Weds-sport SA55:
    Rear 18x10: $583x2
    Front 18x9: $561x2
    Obsidian Black pearl paint job: Cost unknown

Cost: $4827

Labor: My friends and I will be doing majority of the work except tuning.

Approximate total cost before tune: $16936

I will have about $3064 to spare for extras.

I won't be updating this thread as much since I will be posting mainly on three other websites. I'll provide links to those when I do start.

Any opinions or anything you want to say about this?
  2. Oct 22, 2007
    You are wanting around 80 hp more out of a n/a engine? Also you can't mean 360 to the ground but at the fly wheel if i am lookin at your specs right. If i'm not, i would really like to know how in the world you plan to get all that power with out doing a insane amount of engine work that even then i don't see putting down those numbers. Biggest thing that is gonna rape you is all that track time in the end, but def would be worth it. Want to get into trackin but don't see puttin down the cash flow when there are other things more important at the moment sadly. Then again i don't see me wanting to track a 370z or such when it would be a daily lol.
  3. Jun 7, 2008
    Buy a turbo shell so you don't have to deal with replacing the transaxles of the NA
    Why not do a 1MZ swap with a supercharger?
    twosrus.com for mr2 parts
    mr2oc.com for all your MR2 needs

and when you buy the car,

Welcome to the Club

you forgot 94 lights loser.

EDIT: viva it's only 80hp that shouldn't be hard for that engine but yeah the things he listed doesn't look like it would bump up the HP that much. The stock NA engine in the mr2 however...
  4. May 11, 2010
    if it's rwd, just stick a small block in it. Way cheaper and easier to get the HP you want. That's what I'm doing with my '79 280zx.
  5. Jul 4, 2010
    330whp is achievable with a street tune with those parts. Plus I would rather have naturally aspirated over forced induction, having the power band without having to meet certain rpms. The exhaust headers and the y-pipe have equal length runners which lets the engine breathe much easier than stock headers/y-pipe. The true berk dual 3inch exhaust has a gain of at least 20whp from what I have read about people that has put it into their cars. It's a good power goal but I will be happy with at least 330whp. Also considering power to weight ratio, I will be removing at least 80 pounds. Each NRG seat is about 14lbs with the rails, while stock seat and rails is like ~30lbs a piece. Trunk lid will save me more than ~25lbs since I will be going wingless. The engine lid is about 10lbs. I also lost about 45lbs over the course of four months for healthier and car reasons lol. I'm considering getting fiberglass doors to replace the OEM ones, but I have to get them shipped from the UK since thats the only reputable seller that produces them that I know of. Each fiberglass door is 10lbs stripped compared to a stripped OEM door which is 25lbs.

I already know of those sites poopy. I might participate in the group buy to get Mahle 96mm pistons and get custom made sleeve kit from the local performance shop. Or if the group buy doesn't start out soon I will just go get them custom made through the performance shop since they are reputable for their builds. I would like to bore and sleeve the block to 3.7L. I did consider the 1mz, but in the end from what people have said the wiring is just as confusing as that of a 2gr-fe. I've already researched the transmission and the E153 is supposedly the strongest that can handle up to 700hp. My transmission I am buying from the friend has 75k miles on it, the shell is his parts car until I get it off his hands. Do you own an MR2?

The biggest engine I have seen is a Audi 4.2L V8, and the guy had to cut pieces out of the frame. I don't plan on doing that with this build, nor would I want to cut pieces out of the frame just to fit an engine in. My friends little brother just got a 82 280ZX for his 16th birthday. Were helping him fix it up and patch up the hole he has in his passenger floor. His older brother, my friend, is planning to put an SR20 into it or if we somehow get a chance to get our hands on a RB25 or RB26....

Also this car will most likely be a weekend project that will last at least nine months. It may be sooner though since majority of my friends has owned or owns a track car.

What i forgot to list:
    94+ tail lights
    Border valences aka rear pods w/e you guys call them
    I am considering Volks CE28s or TE37s over the current setup
  6. Jun 7, 2008
    Yes I do.
    Well I guess it doesn't really matter, a v6 in a two is going to be really fun.

Mid-Engine Rear Wheel Drive, I don't think anyone has successfully done a v8 swap in the 2nd gen mr2
  7. Jul 4, 2010
    Are you poopyseed on mr2oc with a 93T according to the profile?

There are a few, wood sport being one of them in the UK I believe. Also there is a guy thats sticking an LS4 in his SW20 MR2. But he had to cut parts out of the frame which I don't want to do.
  8. Aug 8, 2008
    IMO fiero>mr2
    just sayin'. >.>
  9. Jun 7, 2008
    Hahahahahaha come back after you find out the Fiero is a piece of shit.

10. Jul 4, 2010
    I hope your joking, some kid told me that in high school since he drove one. My other friend who I am buying the shell from has a stock turbo '92 raced him. The kid that said fiero>MR2, kept his mouth shut.

Small world....
  11. May 11, 2010
    Seriously though.... Fiero + small block chevy > what you're proposing.

I still vote SBC in whatever you build. :smile: <-- says the guy with a '68 Impala.
  12. Aug 8, 2008
  13. Jul 4, 2010
    I'm an import fan, not much domestic besides a few. The body styling of the fiero just doesn't attract me at all.
  14. Jun 7, 2008
    Learn to horsepower =/= good car
    Learn to better suspension
    Learn to pick a car that doesn't have a tendency to leak fuel and catch on fire

also it's better to compare the MK1 mr2 with the Fiero. As for styling, MKI was build in the 80's when Japan only produced boxes on wheels, The fiero wasn't as boxy so aesthetics, to each his own. But buying a car based solely on looks :neutral:. Also the MKI has a 4ag and that engine is amazing and will never die. If I had the money I would buy a supercharged MKI and have more fun than with my MKII

Argue that but MKII > Fiero in every way.
  15. Aug 25, 2009

Buy that instead...shitz fast as fuck.
  16. Jul 4, 2010
    I almost bought a '88 SC MR2 last year till I had learned it had a knock and I didn't want to go through the trouble at the time.
    Fiero in top 10 worst cars
  17. Aug 8, 2008
    "you weren't diligent about changing the oil, drove aggressively and also ran out of oil, you might have ended up with a broken connecting rod. Oil might then spill all over the engine and send it up in flames."

lol, it's only listed as a bad car for that fact that a few idiots who didn't take car of their car had it catch on fire. That's it, they don't mention design or anything important. What else did this BRILLIANT list have? I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't List a car as bad because it won't start if you don't keep adding gas.

Of the total production of the Pontiac of 370,168, up to 260 (0.07%) are reported to have had engine fires of some type, depending on the source used.

The Associated Press quoted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as saying it had "...received 148 complaints regarding Pontiac Fieros catching fire including reports of six injuries.... Low levels of engine oil may cause a connecting rod to break, allowing oil to escape and come into contact with engine parts. The oil would catch fire when it contacted the exhaust manifold or hot exhaust components.... David Hudgens, a GM spokesman in Detroit... said, 'If you ran out of oil, and then that coupled with some aggressive driving, perhaps, and maybe not changing the oil very often, you end up with a broken rod, and that's where the connecting rod came in; it is still the owner's responsibility to check the oil'

TL:grin:R Of course A car isn't going to last if you don't change/check the fucking oil. That's just common sense.

lol @ thread becoming Fiero VS mr2, I'm sorry wasnt6, my last post fiero post unless another arguement is needed.
  18. Jul 4, 2010
    Thats not whats bothering me right now, my sister opened her mouth about what I was going to do with my money to my parents.

TL;DR: Slightly Postponed
  19. May 11, 2010
    Ouch. Parents don't want their baby to have a race car. Sucks, dude. :frown:

20. Jul 4, 2010
    I'm ignorant so they already know I am going to do it anyways. Also, they know the reason why I cleaned out the garage and bought an air compressor with tool attachments this summer. I've told them this past year that I was going to buy a car, they just never knew I was going to make a track car. My dad said yes to the project because he knows I haven't had any type of traffic violation for the four years I have been driving. My mom is just worried that I will get hurt because she watches too much movies and thinks I follow in those foot steps. In the end my mom will most likely clear her mind and say "go for it" this weekend.My sister thinks its a waste of money, but I really don't care considering I know how much she spends when she goes on vacation.