Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

CS:S Tracers!

Discussion in Server Updates started by Kyle, Aug 19, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah, alright, we've fallen into the gimmick of Tracers (again). This time around, it's not just on snipers, it's on every gun; only when you fire ("modern" tracers).

You're a liar! I don't see any of these so called Tracers!
    Good. If you haven't selected a tracer colour using sm_tracer, you won't see any tracers from anyone.

I selected a tracer; but now everyone has one!
    Good. If you have a colour set, everyone else is assigned a random colour if they're not opted in (or their selected colour, if they are with the good).

I'm a Zombie and not everyone has a tracer anymore!
    Good. If you haven't explicitly enabled your tracer, it won't be visible to zombies.

This is available to everyone, if you're a donor or not. The overhead shouldn't be that bad either, but if we start getting strange TE crashes, we're going to have to rethink this. Thanks to @Aprz for being the first consumer (verifying I didn't mess up the shared networking). As an aside, everyone looks like Predator with this enabled. I'm trying to come up with a portable way around this, but for the moment, pretend it's an Alien film.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
      Kyle, Aug 19, 2013 Last edited by Kyle, Aug 20, 2013
    • Mar 16, 2013
      If we play predator with this enabled I think Ima gonna start team killin :razz:
      • Like Like x 2
      • Mar 26, 2012
        Yep, I can't wait to play Predator with this. Thanks for letting me be your first consumer! I didn't have to wait in a line! :grin:
      • Apr 3, 2013
        We should play ze_predator as a predator during a predator fight and kill a predator.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Artistic Artistic x 1
        • Aug 12, 2012
          • Like Like x 1
          • Aug 1, 2011

Am I the only one that doesn't like this for zm though? Won't be able to hide and take potshots at zombies anymore without giving away ur location, where as before it was fun to shoot them and confuse them.
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Love the wall hacking capabilities. :thinking: :cute:
            • Aug 12, 2012
              looks like a light show when a bunch of human are shooting lol
            • Apr 1, 2012
              not a real fan of it so far in ZE.. it's quite a mess with 20-50 people shooting and actually obscuring half zombies sometimes, but probably just me needing to get used to it.
              • Like Like x 1
              • Apr 9, 2012
                Should it be possible to only allow your tracers on?
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Apr 9, 2007
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Zing! Zing! x 1
                  • Mar 26, 2012
                    You guys don't need it enabled. It'll disappear quickly too so it doesn't really seem to give away your position that much. I was still able to hide in ZM and shoot zombies without them figuring out where the shot came from other than "I think it was somewhere over here, but I forget".
                  • Apr 1, 2012
                    oh, don't take it the wrong way, I love new optional features and thank you for your (or whoever made this possible) work and time in implementing this.

it was just a mere opinion.
                  • Mar 12, 2008

on another note, great add! Might help people group shots and get better at aiming.
                  • Feb 1, 2011
                    Cool idea, but I'm not a fan (at least not on ZM). Devious Toast made a good point that it completely eliminates the aspect of stealth on ZM. Sure you can elect not to enable it, but anyone who has it enabled will see your tracers. Not only will they see the tracers, but they can often see them through several sets of walls, pinpointing the location of the shooter even if he and his bullets shouldn't be able to be seen.

I have a spot on zm_battleforce_panic that I like to covertly snipe zombies from while avoiding detection. This tracer business basically makes things like this completely null and void.
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • Winner Winner x 1
                    • Mar 26, 2012
                      You'll never be able to hide from me Dillinger. :grin:
                    • Feb 11, 2012
                      Is there a way to make it so the tracers aren't going through the wall?
                    • Oct 13, 2011
                      As a player its not that useful, you can play without this. However, as an admin I found tracers very useful. Today I just caught one guy cade breaking thanks to this feature.
                      • Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Mar 26, 2012
                        I don't find it useful, but I think it's fun. I was just playing Desperados, and it didn't give away my hiding spot. If it does help zombies, I think it's okay to change up the strategies and game play a bit like the Goompa (sic?) jump did. Some people try to get kills that way.
                      • Jan 30, 2013
                        Tracers look awsome, but are you supposed to be able to see them thru the walls/map? Feels like a bit of a disadvantage to me :razz: Or is this intended?

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
                          RedM00N, Aug 20, 2013 Last edited by RedM00N, Aug 20, 2013