Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Transit of Venus 2012 (June 5-6)

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Vadleon, Jun 2, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    While I've mentioned this to a few people and hoped to have made a post sooner (curse you housework), there is a major celestial event coming up. Next week, Venus will come between us and the Sun for the last time in our lifetime. Venus only does this transit twice approximately every 100 years (once in 2004 and again this year, 2012) so the next time you'll be able to see it will be about in 2117, so try not to miss this one. Depending on your location, the transit will occur sometime on June 5th and/or 6th. Provided below is some information regarding the event.

Transit of Venus website
    Primary source of information and coverage during the transit. GO HERE AND READ UP!!!

I screencapped and made a convenient image of the Transit map below. Click this link for the original PDF. More information about regional times is available on the Transit of Venus website.
    [IMG]

To be able to view it directly, you'll need either solar shades or #14 shade welding glass. DO NOT USE SUNGLASSES. Rainbow Symphony, a solar shade manufacturer and distributor has restocked them (finally) and has them on sale at their store here.

If you can't get these or don't want them, there are other ways to see the transit, as listed here. One of the more popular ways is to make a pinhole projector, detailed here.

Alternatively, there will be a public and free live feed of the transit provided by the SLOOH Space Camera. Hopefully it will not be obstructed for a good view of Venus.

I wish everyone well in their efforts to see this! If you're working or otherwise unable to see it, ask some friends for help covering it!
    • Like Like x 2
      Vadleon, Jun 2, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Jun 2, 2012
    • Feb 18, 2011
    • Aug 1, 2011
      I remember you talking to me about this. Might watch it...
    • May 31, 2012
      I plan to be alive for the second one too lol :razz: thanks for the info!
    • May 14, 2011
      Man too late to order those solar sunglasses, time to improvise, use 2 polarised filters and twist until I see it :smile:
    • Jan 12, 2011

The transit happens TODAY. Look up your local times for it!

Edit: For me, it's supposed to be some time after ~6:00 EST. The dang calculator is glitching so I can't get a good fix on a time. I guess I'll be outside waiting with a good margin then. It might not even matter since it's supposed to be partly cloudy/rainy all day where I am. :frown:
      Vadleon, Jun 5, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Jun 5, 2012
    • May 14, 2011
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Welp, I guess it's a good thing every astronomer and their cat is watching and recording this. We can either pick it up on a livestream or wait a day and watch the flood of pictures/videos onto the Internet. It's a shame since I wanted to witness it with my own eyes. I'll be watching outside hoping it clears up long enough during the couple of hours GA would have a window, but blarg.
    • Apr 27, 2012
      i will only get to see it on sunrise if i wake up at 6:00 am tomorrow
    • Nov 29, 2010
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Jan 12, 2011
        Welp, after an unexpected break in the clouds for a little bit, the Sun has now set behind some more clouds for me. In that little break, I WAS ABLE TO SEE IT!!! :party::cool:
        I can't say my pictures were any good, what with holding the welder's glass in front of it, working the manual focus and exposure, and holding it steady. But the minimum I wanted to do was achieved and I can now sleep from how tired I am.

To everyone else, good luck!
      • May 14, 2011
        upload pics here! (i had a dream about this last night for some reason)
      • Feb 20, 2011
      • Jan 12, 2011
        I haven't looked at them yet, but when I do I'll see if any of them got the tiny black blip that is Venus.

Hope you like fish food. :thumbsup:
      • May 14, 2011
      • Jun 23, 2011
        To many things blocking the sun from me and im to cripple to walk to a place to see the sun D:
      • Jul 28, 2011
        At first I just pointed my camera right at the sun, and as a result I am now blind for life :cool: . However, I was able to use my remaining senses (only got 8 of them now) to find a way to project it onto this piece of paper. Black dot = Venus.

Edit: I also believe the smudge toward the center of the sun may be a sun spot?
        GRUDGE, Jun 5, 2012 Last edited by GRUDGE, Jun 5, 2012
      • May 14, 2011

^I think your smudge is what was taken with that camera. Nice picture!

(Not my picture, screen shot off youtube)