Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Treating new members..?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Vicarious, Aug 19, 2013

1. Dec 27, 2012
    New members usually make introduction threads with a short summary about themselves and more than often do they get friendly replies. However, what happens afterwards? I've had a small talk with new members here on the forums regarding how they get treated and how they feel around here, in PlagueFest.

PlagueFest is of course, aiming to grow more and more with friendly and nice people however, how is this possible when we are pushing some of them away? I myself didn't think much about this until today when a new member decided to leave the community because of treatment not deserved. A few members I talked with even told me that they felt hated by some of the older members which of course can be a misunderstanding. There are cases however where this is untrue but I'm not going to talk about that now.

Misunderstandings can be easily cleared up between people but what if the "victim" is completely convinced that people here actually hates him/her? Misunderstandings such as this shouldn't even occur in the first place. How far does one go if new members get the feeling that they are hated? Most probably too far. "Ignore them", is what people told them and to me as well. This doesn't seem to work that well.

Take it easy on new members. Get to know them before you say or do something rash. Be as nice as y'all appear to be in their respectively introduction thread. Be awesome.:thumbsup:

Stay safe everyone and have a nice day.
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Zing! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Mar 14, 2013
      well im certainly no saint but being friendly while being a naughty person isnt such a bad thing right?
      [IMG]
      perhaps if people were to clear their misunderstanding this will make the new comers more relaxed
    • Dec 27, 2012
      Would you want to clear a misunderstanding that you're not even aware of?
    • Jul 14, 2010
      If players are being harassed, a thread made in Contact Senior Admins will get us involved or pm any LSA's+.

However, if it's someone taking things too personal and blowing them out of proportion then maybe they need to chill out more.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Mar 4, 2012
        If new people aren't actively trying to participate in the community what do they expect? I rarely see any new faces in mumble or chat which is where most of us interact as a community. You can't just expect people to keep in touch with 10 new people every day.
      • Dec 27, 2012
        That's also what I thought and told these new members I had a chat with. Some can comprehend it, some can not. I just dislike the thought of new members feeling this way when they shouldn't. There is a reason why they feel they do and that's why I wanted to make a thread about it.
        Post Merged, Aug 19, 2013
        I think you're misunderstanding this thread. I'm not talking about how much you spend time with new members, I'm talking about how you act towards them.
      • Sep 14, 2008
        If people don't come to us with issues. Then there are no issues. If people are feeling unwelcome, then they need to talk to someone.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I don't really think, that I'm aware of anyway, that anyone means to be mean to new members. I have never meant to be mean and I hope no one has taken offence to what I said.

However I'm not sure to what extent is happening here. I always treat everyone with the same level of respect I want in return.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4
      • Dec 27, 2012
        It's because that some of them don't talk for whatever reason that I made this thread.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        I've noticed that some people are less passive about certain things, others don't react well to some jokes that are being made recently. I kinda know who the person in question is and I'm sorta certain I understand this person. Issue also being some members feel intimidated and don't approach. Just my 2 loonies.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jun 23, 2011
          Some are just rude to each other (but thats how we talk to each other)

maybe thats why they feel this way? since all the older members bash each other so much and they feel that thats how we treat them?

I mean everyone gets at me for not being able to speak korean lol

They most likely just dont understand us and how we act so they are prone to misunderstand the whole situation :/
        • Apr 9, 2007
          I believe this expands over joking banter, or maybe the individual just misunderstands? I don't think anyone legitimately dislikes you for not being able to speak Korean, or being unable to cook Waffles.

There's people flooding status updates, and or messages, which makes them generally hated by all. This is a message board for the game servers, if you're spamming, well, the result is a given. With that being said, besides this thread, there hasn't been too much drama on the forums. The only thing I can remotely think of in the last week is clearly a younger individual getting rather upset time and time again, and today there was another outburst over something completely undefined.

If you'd like to bring up concerns @Vicarious, I'd be happy to hear them. If you're going to abstract everything, well, I'm not quite sure who has time for that.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
          • Apr 1, 2012
            huh? what? excuse my ignorance, but I've never seen any case where new members are bullied for the sake of being new.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • May 27, 2008
              To expand on that, it's worse when people include an image that adds nothing to the context of their post. I personally feel less for them and their incapability to come across as a mature person. Looking at Plague Chat, it's just as bad.

It was said best up there, to be fairly honest. If someone thinks there's a problem, tell someone. If nothing happens then nothing can be done to help resolve the issues. If they're afraid to step up and say what's on their mind, they first need to realise we're people too. Nobody's chewing anyone out over asking a question or giving us a heads up on something unacceptable occurring.
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Feb 5, 2013
                The Internet is full of immature adults who are unable to grow up. They have the body of a adult but the mind of a child. It's up to the person whether to ignore him or response to their post.
                • Like Like x 2
                  Dr.Tommy Oliver, Aug 19, 2013 Last edited by Kyle, Aug 19, 2013
                • Sep 22, 2010
                  We are always willing to hear people out privately, and if you can't contact us directly, there is always sending us PM's through the forums especially if there are certain people you get along with better, and there is always ALWAYS Contact Senior Admins in which we always try to give our best to discuss the issue in any way. But as my fellow peers have said, if it is vague, we cannot help you in anyway unless we have a clear understanding of the situation at hand.
                • Mar 12, 2008
                  This is true. Except the waffle part. No excuses.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Jun 23, 2011
                    Lol I know that no one hates me for not speaking korean Im just saying the community in general are the teasing type and which some people might not see that yet sadly

and I can prob cook waffles......I just never tried :razz:
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Nov 11, 2011

[IMG]
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Mar 12, 2008
                        I think the problem is people see LSA/management as these horrible beast people that will rip your head off and shit on your corpse if you bother them.

That might be true depending who you bother, but if it's in the CSA section you can rest assured that your problems will get looked into provided you aren't just wasting time. If there's legitimate harassment from someone, or someone's going out of their way to intentionally mess your day up either in the servers or the forum, you need to speak up. Most times new people try their hardest to make a funny, decent impression of themselves, and sometimes it goes a bit too far. As long as you aren't a :clown: I don't have reason to ignore someone or anyone else...at least until they give that reason.

Screenshots if it's steam chat always help, or a demo/screenshots if it's in the servers.

Mumble is another story, though and i'll go into it right now.

EDIT: PSA for new mumble users - On mumble it tends to get hectic at times, and people do get lol'd at or mildly troleled, so if new people are joining or trying to get in on the conversations there are usually a couple unwritten rules depending on who's doing what:
                        • No league/dota/unrelated game chatter in game-specific mumble rooms, or if the user channel calls for no league/dota2/unrelated game chat please respect the room. Sometimes multiple games do happen and people get moved, but don't take it personal. It's ok to ask if anyone is up for these games, but please make another channel or move to another channel.
                        • There is a lot of cross-conversation in populated rooms. If you need to say something consider typing it out and informing who you want to look at mumble chat.
                        • Don't yell into the mic, or if we ask you to fix your mic or you have a scratchy mic/sound is too loud/quiet please find a solution, we just want to hear you clearly and keep our ears intact. Input/output can be fixed in the settings menu in mumble.
                        • If you want to type in chat, that's completely fine. Don't join the channel to find a specific person and start typing momo momo momo momo momo momo momo multiple times trying to get their attention, people do go AFK without notice sometimes, you can ask if they're there and then right-click their name to do a private message, much better than spamming chat since some people keep TTS on to hear others typing in the channel.
                        • We usually smack talk a lot in mumble, so it's all in good fun, it's not meant to intentionally hurt. If it's straight up harassment though let someone know. Harassment is not OK.
                        • If you don't want to hear someone talk, right click their name to mute them on your end. This works incredibly well for mic spammers. You may also ignore messages from them.
                        These are just a couple general rules. This insures that you stay on everyone's good side and nobody gets anal-angered or ignored.
                        • Like Like x 4
                          Taters, Aug 19, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Aug 19, 2013