Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Trouble with map downloads in Valve games

Discussion in Technical Support started by Nemmex, Jan 10, 2015

1. Jan 10, 2015
    Okay so I really wanted to ask this on support.steam's site but unfortunately no matter how many times i click resend and make new accounts and use different email addresses, steam refuses to send me a verification email so I can't use that.
    So for the past few months my steam has been completely unable to download files for valve games like CSS, CSGO, Garry's mod, portal 2, DOD, (ALL valve games, steam will still properly download games, but will not download from ingame) like I enter a server and it says it's downloading textures then suddenly says "missing map [map name]" and doesn't even attempt to download it. I have tried what people have said, to mess with browser firewall settings (even internet explorer), I deleted everything from inside the steam folder except for steam.exe and steamapps, still didn't work, then just said fuck it, deleted EVERYTHING and reinstalled steam, still won't download. I tried doing the sv_downloads, cl_downloads ects stuff, my multiplayer option is checked to download stuff. Even when I go online to manually download the map, the character models and custom textures do not download and all I see are errors, so even if i wanted to manually download the map everytime, it's still near unplayable. I started to think it may have been because I was on Windows 10 but I looked up different comments and people have said it works find with W10 so I have no idea what to do. How can this problem endure through everything I have done? I have tried everything google has to offer in search, nothing works. :dazed:
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Ive never heard of this issue with any other operating system. Is Windows 10 completely up do date with windows updates.?
  3. Mar 8, 2013
    maybe you don't have write permissions to certain folders?
  4. Jan 10, 2015
    Yes, W10 Beta forces routine restarts Also, you're saying you have heard of this issue before with Windows 10?
    I don't know why that would be, I've always been able to download maps before, just suddenly one day I couldn't anymore.
  5. Jan 10, 2015
  6. Feb 27, 2012

Try setting steam to launch as an Administrator. Also, go into each game directory, finding it's executable (ex. hl2.exe) right click > properties, go to the compatibility tab, then set "Run this program as an administrator." apply and close. The method of setting a program to run in Admin mode might be different on W10, i have yet to test W10.
    Post Merged, Jan 10, 2015
    Also, i found this on a forum:
    So open up Internet Explorer, go to Connections, click LAN settings at the bottom, and make sure it looks like this:
    [IMG]

EDIT: Last thing, Windows 10 is pretty unstable right now, so expect things not to work properly. You may also want to try running Steam and source games in Compatibility mode for Windows 7.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/616189742780053448/#c616189743035470783
  7. Jan 10, 2015
    This is something I had already tried, It's already default in that option but I will try to set the exe as compatibility mode and admin
    Okay, I set both Steam.exe and hl2.exe to run as admin and windows 7. still no luck. Such a specific problem for an entire OS though, I mean CSS works, I can play on regular servers, Ijust can't play on servers that use custom maps and custom skins.
    Also, this is a problem I see a lot of people on different forums have but it's never resolved for most people.
  8. Feb 27, 2012
    If possible, try dual booting with windows 7 or windows 8 to see if the same issue exists, or posting on the steam forums. It's really difficult to figure out if it's windows 10 specific or not.

Also, try installing .NET framework and Visual C++
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    This is the key thing here, I think. I wouldn't try to game or do anything serious on W10 atm. Not for a long time. Sure it boots, but I would expect things to not work properly for a while.
  10. Jan 10, 2015
    You think by release everything will be fixed? Still seems like a pretty trivial problem, I mean, why allow gold source custom files but not source?
  11. Jul 8, 2012
    Its more so that W10 isn't even an alpha or beta yet. I wouldn't try it myself yet. I'm not sure. :/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  12. Jan 10, 2015
    I really just wanted it for the start menu again :frown:
  13. Jul 8, 2012
    You realize Windows 8 has had forever right?

14. Jan 10, 2015
    I didn't want to download 3rd party stuff
  15. Jul 8, 2012
    Classic shell is extremely secure. You don't want to download 3rd party stuff but runs games? Games are 3rd party. That logic doesn't make much sense to me.

I myself use Start8. I love it.

16. Feb 27, 2012
    StartIsBack is life. It is very strange that even when you manually download shit, you still get errors.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jan 10, 2015
      i manually download the map, that doesn't make the server suddenly decide to download everything else. The game just will not allow any custom servers to be downloaded, downloading the map simply allows me to play on the server in which is using it, I still can't get it to download the rest of the files.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jan 10, 2015
        And this may sound like a temporary solution, But something even then, when I manually download the map and add it, sometimes itll say "the map in your folder doesn't match the server's"
      • Jan 10, 2015
        Well I tried to use a virtual PC of Windows 7 to play CSS but the game refuses to even start up in this... what the hell? :beatup:
      • Jan 10, 2015
        UPDATE: I just installed Windows 7 to my spare hard drive and everything works like it should, although this is a brand new formatted hard drive and might not be because of Windows 10 but still, it works.