Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Turning a phone into a modem.

Discussion in Media Devices started by Driku, Oct 13, 2011

1. Oct 1, 2011
    Does know how to turn your cellphone into a modem? Leaving this sunday and would like to still be around while im in Texas for 3 weeks.
  2. Jan 21, 2011
    What phone do you have?
  3. Jun 19, 2011
    Do u have a tether plan? If not it's gonna be expensive
  4. Jul 4, 2011
    If you have an iPhone, get MyWi.
  5. Oct 1, 2011
  6. Jan 21, 2011
    HTC what? Is it Android?
  7. Jun 17, 2011
    What are you in texas for?
  8. Oct 1, 2011
    HTC Evo 4g, and I am going to texas for training. I am getting pulled off limdu so after training if I can't get my shore command then its back out to sea for me.
  9. Dec 30, 2006
    Root it and install one of these, wireless tether (google it), barnacle wireless whatever it is. Pdanet is also available and doesn't require rooting last time I checked.

Of course, there's always the expensive way......
  10. Oct 1, 2011
    awesome thank you, I will check into them.
  11. Dec 30, 2006
    Just remember, I never told you anything. :whistling:
  12. May 20, 2011
    If you've got root, it would make things a lot easier. As SP said, Pdanet is also useful if you don't want to go through the rooting of your phone.
    I'm somehow very familiar with the ins and outs of the Android OS, so if you're running against any problems, my doors are open. :wink:
  13. Apr 9, 2007
    Uh. How on earth would you get a modem jack from a cell phone?
  14. Jan 5, 2007
    If it's a laptop, or if you have a wireless adapter for your PC, just use the hotspot option on the phone. I have the EVO and that's what I ended up doing with it before.
  15. Jun 4, 2006
    Yeah, as SP said you can just root it and get tethering/hotspot setup. You could even put a custom rom on if you wanted that includes tethering / hotspot natively, but if you're new to rooting you might want to stay on stock rom for a little til you get familiar with it all, note that new rom installs _usually_ means resetting the phone to factory settings. You can backup the apps and restore them though with Titanium backup or some other backup app. Google account sync can also restores apps.

If you want to find out about rooting hit up the XDA Developers forum and find the evo 4g section. GLHF.
  16. Jul 1, 2010
    WiFi Teather works pretty well... used it when I was out of town in a hotel last month... then realized the hotel had free wifi :razz: Rooting has a lot of benefits though, so if you don't mind altering the phone I would go for it. I'm a fan of ROMs as well, but unfortunately my phone required you to unlock the bootloader to flash a ROM :/ (which I did). As other have said though, ROMs are a bit more tricky.