Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Resource &Tutorial for modellers with SU

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Fornax, Jan 15, 2013

Useful?

Yes. 2 vote(s) 66.7%
No. 1 vote(s) 33.3%
  1. Jun 18, 2012
    So I have no clue what modellers use while working with SU but I know I can pretty much make anything with it if I would want too and I found this:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_bdOA4NDs

It seemed very useful to me since it takes a ton of work to do something like that nicely by hand. (Magic happens arround 2:00-2:25) The plugin is downloadable through the discription, I haven't used it yet, but will DL next week or so.

(Sorry if this is the wrong section but this is something between ''Software&Hardware'', ''Mapping discussion'' and the ''Creativity'' section, move it as you wish if it's wrong here.)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Apr 9, 2012
      It's very nice, but I'm not sure where you would like to use models such as those on. Using that model, it's way over the necessary amount for Source SDK, that's all I know x)
      But it's a very nice tool!
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Way too many poly's... don't you think? :dontknow:
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 18, 2012
        Lol like I said Idk what modellers look for but you can pretty much make anything bend with it. For example if someone wanted to have an item which is one of those old leather cusion chairs. :razz:

Edit: Idk but maybe you can un-soften it and reduce the number of poly's?
      • Apr 9, 2012
        You could, but in this method you can't. Simply don't use the tool, or if possible the tool should allow for far less poly's and bend with a selected amount of poly's.

However For UV-mapping this things, it's better in 3DS Max.
      • Jun 18, 2012
        Ultra-Violet? Lol well I'll go ahead and just use this for college instead.
      • May 15, 2011
        UV mapping is texturing. I'm quite sure Sketchup does not have this, but instead, face based painting, much like hammer. If it does, this interests me.
      • Apr 12, 2012
        There should be software out there that can convert high poly to low poly and still keep the overall look of the model, right? Doesn't Blender do something like that?
      • May 15, 2011
        Blender, 3DS, Z-Brush, Silo2, Maya, and some I forgot to add all have built in or plugins that can create LOD's within the program.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Yea but creating lods is like decompiling existing Source model...

Loding lowers the poly on your models but make it considerably uglier, incorrectly aligning faces with each other and you could by far make it much better by simplifying it from start and use a good pre-bumped material as well to make it look having more depth along with the geometry (this matras for example is a prime model where you could make the pillows look having more depth with less geometry and a better texture in the place.)

Decompiling differs from loding in the fact that it degenerates the model and corrupts it by adding leaks and such, making it uglier as well.

3DS Max can do this as well but results in same problems.
      • Apr 12, 2012
        Is there any feasible way to convert high poly models for use in source without putting in hours to manually edit them?
      • Apr 9, 2012
        No. Take a tree model for example, the high-poly tree models have each leave being a face as well... In such cases, it's impossible to town down the polycount, as you would principally destroy the model
      • Jun 18, 2012
        SketchUp calls it textures but I think indeed it's face based, Idk why I just think so, probably cause it takes less bytes, Also when working with textures on bend surfaces they go crazy and it's stretched in multiple direction making something about the size of an inch as big as 1 foot. Though you can resize it ofcourse. :razz:

And screw all you people using 3D-max, it's on the PC's where I work at, but they say it's useless for what we're doing so I didn't get a chance to work with it. x.x
      • May 15, 2011
        If you get the proper training and learn the methods of its confusing layout, it's a very powerful program and highly recommended. I don't use it often though simply because it's confusing as fuck for me, and without the proper training, it will be really hard to get a full grasp of. So far the best 3D modelling program I have found (personal opinion here) is Silo2, an easy to use yet powerful 3D modelling tool, with a much smaller learning curve as the layout is much more organized and intuitive than say, 3DS, Maya or Z-Brush. Also, being a parrot doesn't work so well in this field, so stick to the demo's, and if you can afford to purchase one, I say go for it. It may be slow at first but once you're use to the interface, your pace will surely increase and we could really use more modellers. :P
      • Jun 18, 2012
        Looks nice, maybe in the future when I feel like learning 1 model program in particular I'll get more into it, I don't really consider SketchUp a model program (for games) ... SKETCH. However to get back on the texturing, maybe rendering works differently and makes the textures better?
      • May 15, 2011
        For rendering in Sketchup you will need to download one of the available plugins. I personally use SkIndigo and I really like it. I have used others but I find this one to be the simplest to use, as it gives me lighting, and texture features, allowing me to add displacement maps, luminosity, transparency and more to my scenes. And yes, Sketchup is a 3D modelling program made with drafting and architecture in mind, not gaming nor animations. Although it is a very basic program, with the proper skills it can really shine.

If you dislike SkIndigo, you can go through the list of plugins available on the Sketchup plugin's page.
        • Like Like x 1