Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Ubuntu or Mint?

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Zenzr, Apr 21, 2014

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So I see Ubuntu 14.04 LTS was released recently, and I also see that Mint 16 was released a little while ago. I like both, and I really don't have a huge sway one way or another. Perhaps I'll partition my Linux drive and run them both. Who knows.

What distro do you guys like? Or perhaps insight into another distro. These are just the two I am familiar with.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jun 11, 2012

[IMG]
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012

Mint is so much better all around than ubuntu.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          We have mint installed on my work PC. Time to upgrade it I suppose to Mint 16 lol.
          Post Merged, Apr 21, 2014
          Only problem is it's not joined to our Windows domain. Sigh.
          • Like Like x 2
          • Jan 21, 2011
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jul 8, 2012
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jun 11, 2012
                Yes. I did it on a recent build/mobo/fosho
                • Like Like x 1
                • Apr 9, 2007
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Jul 8, 2012
                    I read about that, but wasn't sure. What does it do?
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Dec 25, 2013
                      I ran Ubuntu for a while.... Did its job for the time that I had it ^_^
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Mar 26, 2012
                        My dad bought a laptop with Windows Vista, and I used it for about a year until it wouldn't boot anymore. I thought the hardware was bad, and I didn't have the CDs to reformat it so I decided to try using a GNU/Linux Live CD on it for lols. I didn't know better that I could have probably reformatted it had I just held some keys down while it booted. My programming buddies encouraged me to used GNU/Linux, but discouraged using distributions like Ubuntu[ulr]. I initially tried Archlinux, and was surprised that my computer worked. I used exclusively GNU/Linux (without Windows) for several years on that laptop afterwards. I used to reinstall it all the time, and got pretty good at it. I also tried Gentoo and Beyond Linux From Scratch (BLFS). I discontinued using GNU/Linux when I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, downloaded Counter-Strike: Source, and started playing here.

I like Archlinux the most. I think it's a waste to compile every individual program, which is why I consider Gentoo overrated. I also dislike the stage3 tarball from Gentoo, lol. You aren't prohibited from compiling a program on your own when you want to on any distribution. If you are too lazy to find and download the source to compile on your own, Archlinux has similar to Portage (Gentoo's package manager, which you'd use to download and compile programs) called Arch User Repository (AUR). I tried AUR, but preferred downloading the source and compiling the source on my own. I always compiled my kernel to make it static (no modules), and compiled some other programs that I frequently used like Archlinux, or things that weren't available via pacman or AUR.
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Apr 9, 2007
                          Are you sure you want to be on the RMS side of that?
                          We run Gentoo :wink: As far as Linux Distro's go, by a landslide it's the best for non-graphical use-cases... Everything's totally predictable and sane. Arch grows into a rats-nest after a couple months, Debian seems to kind of hold out... Gentoo seems to just hold on for dear life constantly; and it's great.

There are binary packages with Gentoo; they're suffixed with -bin.
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Aug 7, 2012
                            Ubuntu for sure if you're using it for a desktop OS. If you're planning on using it for anything more than basic desktop functions, don't use linux. Desktop distros just aren't there yet.
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Jul 8, 2012

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Mar 26, 2012
                                [IMG]
                                • Funny Funny x 3
                                • Winner Winner x 1
                                • Jul 8, 2012
                                  I actually just installed Ubuntu 14.04 and I really like it right now. Looking up how to tweak colors and what not and it's running quite smooth.
                                  • Agree Agree x 1
                                  • Mar 26, 2012
                                  • Jul 8, 2012
                                    Using Unity tweak atm. I like it, never really used it before.
                                  • Apr 9, 2007
                                  • Jul 8, 2012