Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Umm CSS Crashing

Discussion in Technical Support started by Ghost, Jun 12, 2012

1. May 14, 2011
    Well this is a sort of 1 reply thread, but when im dead on css I just go on forums or surf the web. Sometimes howveer, every 100th time or so. When i press the css icon in the taskbar, the game loads a black screen and my PC stops responding. Well its still running, game sounds and music still play so i assume the is a graphics problem.

I proably havent expalined myself too well.
    But if you have any clue on how to fix it please tell me.
    maybe this is an issue i will just have to live with.

I am running Win7 64bit

Using XFX Radeon HD6970 2GB
  2. Jul 28, 2011
    So this problem only occurs about 1% of the time? I would just ignore it myself. Sometimes CS:S has trouble opening back up after I have minimized it, but it's very rare.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 28, 2012
      Yeah, the game is poorly programmed. It might help if you run with the parameters -noborder and make it windowed

Makes it easyier to alt tab and stuff
    • May 14, 2011
      Meh yeah, i thought i may have a common problem with an easy fix. Nvm in that case, its just annoying cause i have to reset Ema PC each time it happens.
    • May 15, 2011
      I had this problem before. Can't remember though if it was due to Graphic card having a faulty driver update and downgrading it or if it was just re-installing/Defrag/verify cache that fixed it.
    • Jan 2, 2012
      Okay, this MIGHT work Ghost. Try going in your library, right click on CSS and go on properties. After that, click on set launch option and enter the following commands: -console -windowed -noborders

Hopefully this will fix your problem Ghost1995. If it still gives you a black screen, then I don't know since I had the same problem and used this to fix it.
    • May 14, 2011
      Mkay ill do all of those things. Hopefully it will work. Thanks Guys!
    • Mar 12, 2008
      This happens whenever i Alt+tab and CS:S MINIMIZES. If it minimizes, you may be fucked. Run borderless, like mentioned above, and careful what you alt+tab to. otherwise, restart CS:S and reconnect to the server, and don't do what you just did.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 14, 2011
        Running windowd looks ugly though. Css is not a very resource intensive game so minimising it is a piece of cake. But when i mean, the game doesn't show up the screen just stays black. I'm assuming its a driver issue as CSS may be having a problem determining which of my 2 monitors it is supposed to load up on. When I mean it crashes, I mean resetting my PC is the only thing that can fix it.

P.S.: I don't alt+tab; I windows key out. I do this every 5 mins or so when I die, but every few days its pulls this on me. Ill see what the driver updates do.
      • Feb 20, 2011
        This is because you are using a green background with your cat. Please switch to a red background to become compatible with the server. Green backgrounds in display pictures start 1st July.
      • May 14, 2011
        I like to be different. Thats why i went with red over blue in the first place.

I hope you like ma new avatar D: . <3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Feb 20, 2011
          Your new avatar offends me, please remove it or I shall be forced to take action.
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • May 14, 2011
          • Mar 12, 2008
            Whether it's windows key (this is probably the worst thing you can do) or alt+tab, Of the options i've seen It will either stay black, or it will stay on your last "image" (the current screen you were on before you alt+tab) caught by the server (or menu) you are in. You can still interact with it, but no animations will show.

As for not being resource-intensive, it doesn't matter. Even if you are running a super-duper alienware ultra-watercooled 90000 ram and gigabit unicorn flying hamburger model x952012. Source is buggy, and it doesn't react well to being minimized. Running windowed, however, lets you tab off the screen and browse the web/forums as you wish, but at the cost of looking "ugly". You can't have both, so that's totally up to you. Other games, however, like Counter-Strike 1.6 and previous, have no trouble at all.

This is a problem with the source engine, and it's not something that can just be out-right fixed. Blame valve.
          • May 14, 2011
          • Feb 20, 2011
            Remove Puss in Boots before I challenge you to a duel.
          • May 14, 2011
          • May 15, 2011
            I tried recording it, but it just showed a frozen in game screen till I reconnected. I can Alt+Tab and Windows+Tab out and back into the game, no problems. Full screen too. I personally think it's a driver or CS:S thing.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jul 28, 2011
              I believe the best action in this case would be to shun him.
            • May 28, 2012
              Windows with no borders is full screen w/out brightness control... Just run -console -windowed -noborders