Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Unable to connect to my wifi via Iphone 4?

Discussion in Networking started by P@P@, Jan 23, 2013

1. Jul 16, 2012
    For the past week or so, my iphone (along with my moms and sisters) has been randomly dropping the wifi-signal and disappearing off of the list for a bit. Yesterday I found the Installation Disc and reinstalled it properly; well now I can't connect to it at all.

I click my router name on Iphone and enter my password, and I instantly get "Unable to connect to <routername>.

I've tried resetting it, unplugging for an entire night. I'm at a loss; going to try to reset it once more but otherwise I need some help :frown:
    Post Merged, Jan 23, 2013
    I'm at a complete fucking loss... I can't for the life of me figure out what might be causing this, I've tried so many suggestions and still nothing... Anything you guys can provide <3
  2. Feb 4, 2011
    What is the manufacturer and model # of your wifi router?
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    In most cases, go to 192.168.1.1 (and if prompted, user is admin, password is password. If that's not it, give us your router model number). Make sure in the wireless settings that your channel is set to auto and your region is North America. Also make sure that your router is not set to drop wireless connection by schedule (no idea why that would be enabled by default) which should be under the advanced wireless settings. I don't know if any of this will work, but keep the router at a high distance, away from CRT monitors and TV's, cordless phones that are on the same frequency range as your router, etc. Let us know.
  4. Jul 16, 2012

Going to check those settings RQ Sajak
  5. Feb 4, 2011
    It might be a problem common to your router model.

Your router has all bad reviews on newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314050

Belkin manual
    http://www.belkin.com/us/support-search?search=Belkin Surf N300

General best practices
    -change SSID to something unique
    -Use WPA (WEP is very bad)
    -Your router password should be > 12 characters long w/ numbers upper and lower case letters and a symbol or 2-Your wifi password should be > 12 characters long w/ numbers upper and lower case letters and a symbol or 2 and different than your router password
    -Turn on SPI firewall
    -Only turn on UPnP if you need it
    -Change your network subnet from default 192.168.?.1
    -Change your wifi channel auto or pick a channel that isn't being used by your neighbors.

TURN OFF WPS
    very big security hole
    epi1to10000, Jan 23, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, Jan 23, 2013
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    I had a problem like this before, couldn't figure out anything after weeks of troubleshooting it. So I went out and bought a new NetGear router that was around $250 or so, really nice one. Seemed to fix the problem for me, as for troubleshooting, I was told by a few people that there are settings for your signal frequency that you can try changing and see if it changes anything. If I run across what settings were, I'll post them for you(if you're still having this issue by then).
  7. Jan 27, 2011
    do a reset on ur modem. I had that problem and only thing i had to work was the reset
  8. Feb 21, 2007
    turn off the password on your router, and then see if you can connect. I know with older phones (older than iphone4), there were issues with WPA and new encryption methods (i could only use wep with an old phone). Its something simple u can rule out, at least.
  9. Feb 4, 2011
    WEP = No encryption what so ever = everyone else can see exactly what you are doing and/or fuck w/ your conection

aircrack-ng

WPA tech is pretty cheap and ubiquitous.
    if you can't upgrade your device to use WPA ($10 usb wifi adapter, ect), then throw it out. Harsh but better in the long run.
  10. Jul 16, 2012
    Guess it's time to buy a new router, got this one around May or so of last year and hadn't had any issues until now; after reading through those reviews, FUCK BELKIN. I've tried everything I know and everything suggested in here (Aside from removing PW, IDK HOW).

Thanks for the help guys; do you guys have any recommendations for a new wire-less router?
  11. Feb 4, 2011
  12. Nov 11, 2011
    Err why so quick to jump ship on the router? Learn to troubleshoot a little before dishing out more money (but then again... the reviews are terrafuckingbad on your router). What rets said is not the issue since you were previously able to connect to the router with the same settings. Do a hard reset on the router and upgrade the firmware through the settings. I can't stress how important it is to upgrade the firmware. And if all else fails, use DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares (make sure they are on the compatibility list). You'll be golden, I promise.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jul 16, 2012
      Only problem is, I have no idea how to update firmware; matter of fact, I have no idea what a DD-WRT / Tomato Firmware is lol.

I believe I've hard reset around 6 times now, still no luck... Going to give it another shot
    • Nov 11, 2011
      lol Okay let's take baby steps. First do the hard reset (something along the lines of holding down the reset button on the back of your router for 30 to 45 seconds). Then navigate to 192.168.1.1 , log in with the default user/pass if it asks , then click on Firmware update. It should be something similar to this:

[IMG]
    • Jan 13, 2013
      Make sure that it's broadcasting properly. You might be getting downtime.
    • Jul 16, 2012
      @sajak Showing no new firmware updates out there.

@Who_er I'm not sure it's broadcasting at all anymore; I have a laptop sitting beside my desk that my mother uses, I checked to see if WiFi was available for her, it wasn't showing up. I see my Router on the lists of available networks to join, I just get a "Unable to connect to belkin.3a7e" error with no reasoning behind it >.<
      Post Merged, Jan 23, 2013
      YAY all fixed now. Thanks to all of you who helped me. :handcuffs:
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Your welcome buddy. Although we know how it was fixed, the rest don't. So you might want to explain what steps you took in case someone else has the same issue. I'm too lazy to type it out. :footinmouth:
    • Jul 16, 2012

1. Disabled WPS(As suggested)
      2. Hard reset; 30-30-30 (Hold the reset switch for 30 seconds, unplug and hold for another 30 seconds, plug in and hold for another 30 seconds) ~ Did this method twice (including the time it was fixed) and a regular reset (10 sec on then let it power through) for the rest.
      3. Used foul language and created words that would make Death himself shit his pants
      4. Prayed to the High Heavens it would work