Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Discussion in The No Count Section started by Orange, Dec 17, 2014

1. Feb 8, 2013
    So, I just dropped about 15 bucks on my Steam profile to make it look better :beatup:. Quite painful, now that I look back, but that's not what I want to talk about. So, apparently, Steam dropped an event for a chance to win a "Winter 2014 themed Steam profile." This item can only be earned throughout this Holiday Auction, card recycling, event and is bought with gems. Now, the way you get these gems are by recycling Steam trading cards. You'll receive a certain amount according to the rarity of the card. The alternative option to obtain gems is through the Steam market - The Sack of Gems - can be listed on the market. Well, someone found an exploit that gave them the ability to duplicate these sacks, making them only 4 cents USD on the first day. Counter-Strike: Source, according to my calculation while the exploit was going, only costed about 80 cents to get. Anyways, not long after, Steam took it off after they've been notified. I'm not sure if they did a roll-back for these exploited gems, or they left it that way, but back to the "Winter 2014 Theme", if the gems weren't rolled back, they would cost about $5 each right now, maybe $10 if more people bid on it. From my calculations as of right now, with Sack of Gems being $1.20 each, it'll cost about $500 to get this limited edition theme, no doubt, if bids raises (probably does with different auctions), it'll likely cost $1000 for it. This is pretty insane because I know people dropped ten grand on this event, which is mind blowing. Unbelievable how simple marketing can drive people nuts and go blind, huh?

I'd really like a chance to win this theme, but I already know it's not possible. This theme is animated and looks extremely cool on your profile. It also gives you a pretty gold-plated border for your display picture and gold-plates your name, also, along with the game you may be playing. It is also gold on your friend's friends list.
    Example: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheDarkStranger
  2. May 31, 2012
    @Conker was showing this to me earlier. I'm amazed that people would put so much money into it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Apr 3, 2013
      The profile expires 14th January, rip to all the people who bought it
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Dec 9, 2013
        [IMG]
        • Like Like x 2
        • Feb 8, 2013
          I was wondering about that. Some people on Reddit said that it is a permanent item.
        • Nov 19, 2013
          Celebrate the season in style with this decorative holiday profile! Your heart may just grow 3 sizes as you are bathed in Holiday cheer!

Grants a gold effect to avatar and persona name.

Winners of this item can enable or disable the 2014 Holiday Profile by selecting the item in their Steam Inventory and selecting the Enable or Disable action. This item is not tradable nor can it be listed on the Steam Community Market.

This item is good for a limited time and will expire Jan 16th, 2015.

even more funny if you look in the winner of the bid that
          <┼jiæ░d▒r▓y┼ ҉҈ᅠ won 2 of them and is now winning the bid of the one right now
          marlaj, Dec 17, 2014 Last edited by marlaj, Dec 17, 2014
        • Mar 31, 2010
          Welp.. It seems to me that the profile of the person you listed in this thread is actually a scammer.

Look through his badges (http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheDarkStranger/badges/)... Apparently he finishes a game every minute, hahahaha!

Don't believe everything you see... I hope Steam handles these scammers good ASAP! :smile:
        • Nov 19, 2013
          conker badge doesn't mean you finish the game it mean that he buy steams card and change them into badge to level up his profile.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Feb 25, 2014
            lmao, this is the reason allot of people make fast money on stuff like this, stupid people do not read correctly what is stated or just rush things. This always happens i just don't get it why they never learn.
          • Jun 11, 2012
            That thing was broken in matter of hours. Twas took down and brought back up.
          • Mar 31, 2010
          • Apr 9, 2012
            Badges from games have nothing to do with playtime. While playing them you do get badges randomly, but if you want you can neglect playing said game and buy the badges right away.

I would see the effort in having/obtaining it only of the golden name would remain permanent, but it's not worth over 1000$ if it's just limited. How boring and rip-off is that.
            • Agree Agree x 1
              JorisCeoen, Dec 18, 2014 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Dec 18, 2014
            • Feb 8, 2013
              If Steam didn't do a rollback for the duplicated gems, then some people have gotten so lucky that the theme only costs them, at most, 20 bucks.
            • Feb 25, 2014
              I'm happy got myself a free age of mythology, had so much crap in my inventory.
            • Jan 21, 2011
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Feb 8, 2013
                Steam's been around for a bit over ten years, so I'm not afraid to invest money into something that I am confident will stay and continue to grow.
              • Jan 21, 2011