Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Unlocking cellphones

Discussion in In The News started by Badgriuel, Jan 25, 2013

1. Jul 20, 2010
    http://news.msn.com/science-technology/unlocking-your-cellphone-will-be-illegal-starting-saturday

Users will not be able to alter their cellphones to access different networks starting Saturday. But advocacy groups are questioning the law.
    Starting Jan. 26, buying and unlocking a phone will no longer be legal in the United States.
    The term "unlocking" a phone means to remove the security feature that prevents the phone being used on a different network. Once a phone is unlocked, it can work on more than one carrier's network. Unlocking phones is useful for those traveling internationally because it allows phones to work on different networks.
    The Librarian of Congress, who determines any exemptions to a strict anti-hacking law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), decided in October 2012 that unlocking cellphones would no longer be allowed. A 90-day window was provided during which people could still buy phones and unlock them.
    Currently Apple sells an unlocked iPhone 5 starting at $649 and Google sells Nexus 4 unlocked for $300.
    Mashable reports that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is questioning DMCA's right to determine who can unlock a phone.
    EFF attorney Mitch Stoltz said in a letter to TechNewsDaily.com: "Arguably, locking phone users into one carrier is not at all what the DMCA was meant to do. It's up to the courts to decide."
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    HOW IS UNLOCKING YOUR PHONE FALL UNDER HACKING. I do it all the time, hell fortune 500 companies do it for their employees. Someone should go to the Library Of Congress and tell them to get off AIM and demo them what unlocking your phone means. They probably think that by unlocking your phone you are hacking it to get free voice/data.

Also it's up to the carrier to decide. Unless the carriers are the one who are pushing this in order to lock users instead of have them move with the phone which would mean that the customer may end up paying more to move.
  3. Apr 1, 2012
    and I thought my country has stupid laws..
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • May 31, 2012
    • Jul 8, 2012

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    • Apr 9, 2007
      After your contract is up, your carrier should unlock the phone. You can still buy unlock codes online and the like, that's still "legal". It's just you can't do it on your own (as far as I'm aware).
    • May 14, 2011
      I don't know how it is in US but in UK you can all your carrier and they will give you an unlock code for your phone. (A number you dial) for either a "administration charge" or for free.

However, there are multiple apps on android that can unlock your phone for you once its rooted.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Pretty much the same. If you have a contract you can call and get it unlocked but your still on that contract until your done. You can pay the phone off and ask for a unlock code to move to another carrier.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I didn't know there was such a big problem with unlocked phones....

Hold on, let me look up the "no singing off-key" in NC, or the state that forbids you to wash an elephant in a lake or public water.
      Flint, Michigan fines people for sagging pants in public as well. Which being close to, and driving through it quite a few times, makes it a very well thought of law to be honest.
      Brett, Jan 26, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Jan 26, 2013
    • Jul 8, 2012
    • Feb 21, 2007
      shouldn't it be up to the phone manufacturers to decide phone/carrier and if they want to leave a certain phone unlocked or not?
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I agree. I think it should be up to the manufacturer not the company to decide. Or at least some combo of the phone maker and carrier.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
      • Jun 11, 2012
        If you buy directly from the manufacturers or in cases of Google or Apple then you are getting a unlocked phone. So if you purchase from apple.com or play.google.com you are actually purchasing a unlocked phone. But if you get from a carrier or a authorized carrier dealer, then your phone is locked to that carrier.

Here's a bit of enlightenment from who is really pushing for this (carrier of course)
        http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2013/01/26/now-illegal-to-unlock-new-phones-without-permission/
      • Nov 29, 2010

.... No offense
      • Apr 9, 2007
        You can still buy unlocked phones from the manufacturer and or carrier. It's just if it comes to you locked, you cannot unlock it without breaking the law.
      • Sep 6, 2010
        not very good news, this will favor cell phone companies and not the customers
      • Gerry46
        This message by Gerry46 has been removed from public view. Deleted by Brian, Feb 3, 2013.
        Feb 3, 2013