Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Unstable Ping Issues

Discussion in Networking started by iProbie, Mar 26, 2013

1. Apr 1, 2012
    I am a tenant in a shared house at the moment and right now the internet connection is quite unstable for gaming and others, especially at night around 7 pm to 12 am.
    I can get around 400-700 ping playing in pF ZE server sometimes while in other times, normal 200-250.

I complained to the landlord but he is rather skeptical and said it's probably because the connection is shared among 7 users, especially at night when the housemates come home from work and study!

I cannot contact the ISP directly because I am not the account holder.

Landlord said that if I'm still having problems after 1 week, then he would call the ISP and see if the problem is on their end.
    While waiting for that 1 week mark, I would like to see if fellow pF members can say anything about it. Both of us are not good at networking or IT, so for now, it's getting a bit desperate.

A guy told me to check if my housemates are indeed hogging the bandwidth by looking at net_graph 4 in CS:S and check for choke and loss. Both showed 0 all the time while it was around 500-700 ping in ZE and he said that housemates are not hogging and said choke is sometimes coming from the server-side not client-side but it's still worth checking.

Questions:
    1. Is there another way to check whether the high ping issue is caused by housemates hogging bandwidth or not? How to do that?

2. If it's indeed caused by housemates hogging bandwidth, is there a way to fix the problem without severely disrupting housemates' services?
    I've been reading about this thing called IP QoS setting where you can make your connection as top priority for traffic in a shared connection. However, I'm not sure if I want to do that.

3. If it's not caused by housemates hogging bandwidth, what are the steps that I can take to check and fix the problem without contacting the ISP?
  2. May 14, 2011

Go to cmd.exe and type in: tracert ze.plaguefest.com

Check where the big drop is in ping alternatively paste it here and someone will tell you.
  3. Apr 1, 2012
    iProbie, Mar 26, 2013 Last edited by iProbie, Mar 26, 2013
  4. Apr 9, 2007
    Australia and Internet make me cringe. What you need is QoS rules for your outbount traffic. However, if your downstream is dominated with UDP traffic you're pretty much SoL. I know ISPs are still pretty much a total ripoff, but if you can, investigate into getting your own line.
  5. May 14, 2011
    "1 512 ms 646 ms 604 ms mygateway1.NB5Plus4W [192.168.1.1]"

Not really into networking but I'd say this hop is an issue with your router. Judging by the fact your router is discontinued http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/xdsl/nb5plus4w you should look into getting a new one maybe?
  6. Apr 9, 2007
    I probably should have read the thread... lol :frown:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Jan 13, 2013
      I would just wait for the one week mark. Seems to be the router. Hopefully they will tell him to get a new one!
    • Apr 1, 2012
      so this has nothing to do with the fact that there are 15 devices sharing the single connection?
      (there are 7 people but each of us have an iPhone or Android)

I just want to make sure before I come yelling at my landlord to replace the router.
      iProbie, Mar 26, 2013 Last edited by iProbie, Mar 26, 2013
    • May 14, 2011
      That would put even more load on the router -> Its not able to cope. You may want to get a separate Switch+Modem+WAP if you actually have that many people connected to one router.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Don't yell, unless if you're in severe pain and you're aware that there's an inflicter forcing your hand. Jimmy with his wireless Wii isn't a good reason.
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • May 14, 2011
        You have no idea how much that made me laugh.
      • Apr 1, 2012
        so wait, you think I should grab a new switch, WAP and modem for myself? sorry, I am kind of confused.
      • May 14, 2011
        You should ask/wait for someone who knows more about networking than me but if you have 14 devices connected to your network then it should be considered as an option.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        Well you can't really do much with a new modem because you can only have 1 modem in the house, unless you have like 2 cable connection coming in from the outside but that's absurd. The issue is really that the router itself is ridiculously busy and handling way too much. You can kinda get better connection than others by bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem by putting a switch after the modem and connecting directly to the switch, then connect the router to the switch. Thus your not being affected by a heavy load router since your connection is closes to the modem.

[IMG]

This may help slightly depending on the activity on the router but not too much. I heartily believe that someone in your household is constantly downloading Gigs of stuff because that ping is horrendous on the local network. As of right now with 2GB of downloading my main router ping is of.
      • Apr 1, 2012
        so if somebody is downloading terabytes of Grey's Anatomy or Gossip Girl, how do I set up a traffic QoS rule?

atm,the router seems to be only able to set up an IP address rule not a MAC address rule.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        hmm most router firmware don't support MAC rule but IP rule. You can set a IP address to always static to a MAC address then use that IP address to set up Bandwidth Priority. Unfortunately if you want better QoS management you will need to use a open source firmware called TomatoUSB as DD-WRT firmware has the same issue. With Tomato I found is better to manage and cap people bandwidth at my own leisure.
      • Apr 1, 2012

is it because simply there are too many devices connected at once?
        or is it because some housemates are downloading extremely?
        or is it because the router is shit and replacing it with a newer one would solve or at least help with the problem?
      • Jan 14, 2012
        Fixing computer stuff is a lot about ruling out:
        • (assuming you've gained access to your router) When you're having problems, try disabling wifi and unplug all cables and only hook up your pc with a cable. Is the problem still there? Move on. Is it fixed? Slap your house mates for downloading via torrents and explain Usenet to them.
        • See above
        • It's probably not the router, because it only happens at night when everybody is at home you said... Above solution should rule this out.
      • Apr 1, 2012
        the router is a combo of both modem+router actually, so, you're saying I should disable wi-fi for everyone in the house and then do the test??
        how do I do that? via router control panel?
        • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Ideally you should be able to disable the SSID and stop broadcasting the wireless signal. Then unplug all the ethernet cable that are leading out and plug only 1 cable to the out connection and into your PC then run the same tracert (more than once). That tell you that the issue is that person constantly downloading or if it remains the same, then something else.

Also if someone is downloading massive amount of show, it's guaranteed that your connection will be crap.