Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Updated Website & Server Upgrade!

Discussion in News started by Ray, Sep 22, 2010

1. Aug 18, 2006
    The website situation: First off, I must apologize for the website downtime (and on behalf of Brian for the bad splash page). Anyhow, what happened was Josh upgraded the forum last week (without making any backups) and things messed up pretty badly. Skin wasn't compatible, and among other things, there were MySQL database corruptions. I thought this would be a good opportunity to move over to vBulletin, but, it turns out that in the long run it would be better sticking to IPB (easier too). I fixed up the MySQL database, forum theme, etc, and here we are now. There are still quite a few tweaks that need to take place (most notably the front page), but for the most part, everything is up and running. If you have any suggestions or ideas for the website, please feel free to post in the "Website Improvements" section.

The server situation: Actually, it's a NEW server situation. Literally. I ordered a new dedicated box today with better hardware. You all should know what that means: Less lag, and potential for more servers. We are currently running on a 3GHz Q9650 and we are upgrading to a Lynnfield (i7-based Xeon) x3460 @ 2.8GHz. The clock speed is slightly slower (actually, it will be running at 2.93-3.5 GHz because of a technology called Turbo Mode), but the architectural jump by itself will help with server performance greatly. On top of that, we are going to try running all of the services on a Kernel called Zen kernel, which is a very high performance Linux kernel. The combination of the two should compliment each other very nicely. I hope to get some benchmarks soon to post. The new server should be online sometime this weekend. In the meantime, Kyle and I have a very busy remainder of the week. Server IP's will stay the same, and the server downtime will be minimal - as we won't be moving the IP's over to the new box until everything is ready.

Update 9/27/2010 5:25PM: All servers are online!
  2. May 11, 2010
    Well, Ray, you're the man - you guys should have no problem getting it all up to snuff in no time!
  3. Aug 2, 2010
    Sweet the forums are back!

Thanks for sacrificing all that fap fap fap time to get things back up and running Ray!

4. May 27, 2008
    Ten points for Gryffindor.
  5. Apr 9, 2007
    Arch smells :weep:

OpenSSH and VSFTPD were finished before I went to bed last night, though [IMG]

EDIT: Ugh... CentOS installer crashed :mellow:
  6. Feb 21, 2007
    yay. I was worried there was going to be another IP change. Good job so far guys!
  7. Apr 9, 2007
    Alrighty well, Debian Six is installed and configured (Still in beta).

VSFTPD and OpenSSH are both installed and configured, along with the base user accounts.

My modified Kernel which is based on Zen-Sources compiled fine last night after my third attempt, the switch over was pretty smooth.

The test server that I threw up seemed promising, hopefully this brings us over the threshold.

The only thing that's left to be done is come up with a better way of managing the servers, create a new SRCDS base and go from there.
  8. Aug 24, 2010
    just a question... when will the zombie riot server be up? thanks.
  9. Apr 9, 2007
    That's up to Josh.
  10. Nov 23, 2007
    Hopefully it is up soon because I want to play :]