Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

VERY important: Mappers read - Sledge, new Hammer replacement

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by JorisCeoen, Jan 5, 2014

Sledge, worth it?

Great idea! I might use it. 12 vote(s) 75.0%
Not sure. Waiting for final build. 4 vote(s) 25.0%
Not at all, forget it. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Apr 9, 2012

There has been very recently raised news of a new program builder for Source SDK. Sledge is a replacement of Hammer that will allow more versatile usage of the Hammer features, add new things like full customization of the window appearance, new grid sizes, better visgrouping, large maps and so on. You should read this to learn more about it. (Official site: http://sledge-editor.com)

• Runs on modern operating systems and graphics cards
    • Full support for Goldsource editing
    • Reads and writes RMF, MAP, VMF files
    • Complete compatibility with Hammer maps
    • Proper decimal precision for sub-grid geometry
    • Support for large maps (Just think about ZE)
    • Support for multiple visgroups per object
    • Automatic visgrouping
    • Displays models from unextracted PAK files
    • Improved texture browser filtering and display options
    • A huge number of settings to customise to your liking
    • Hotkey customization (very important for speeding things up. Stuff that takes lots of clicks can be done in just an eyewink)
    • ...and much more!
    The thing is, he said already that there could be support for real-time checking of how models are rendered in-game, or real-time cubemaps and so on. He's also working on completely new toolsfor doing new things and also we'll be able to manipulate the brushes better.
    [IMG]
    Just an example. This example would DIE in the current hammer, the vertices would go off-grid and so on. In this program it just doesn't happen.
    Also, you could see sledge as the hammer that is totally bugfree, in other words it fixes all errors and bugs that Valve should have fixed a looooooong time ago
    Sorry for that. Anyway, I think this is a great opportunity for all mappers to see how this project fares, and once it's out of beta and final, I think this will be the program which I will be working on from then on.
    Let me know what your thoughts are!
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 4
      JorisCeoen, Jan 5, 2014 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Jan 5, 2014
    • Mar 8, 2013
      will keep an eye on this and try it out once it hits beta.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jul 20, 2012
      • Nov 11, 2011
        It is a GUI redesign with tweaks and some new tools to streamline mapping. Good idea, just several years overdue. Anything over Hammer at this point I welcome with open arms. Anyone hear of any rumors or updates about Source 2 SDK? :/
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Source 2 is being worked on with HL3. So, knowing that, no news is to be suspected until HL3 is done and they are ready to launch it. Typical Valve policy
      • Feb 24, 2011
        Looks pretty interesting. I'll surely use this if it really is more stable and has a larger grid.
        I hope there's a new/better compiler included, though i shouldn't hype it up to the point of being disappointed if there isn't one. :silly:
      • Apr 3, 2013
      • Nov 17, 2012
        Return of Amko?
      • Apr 9, 2012
        I should say that the current alpha build only allows for GoldSource to be used. Needless to say, I think this is gonna be awsome for Goldsource users because it's just so easily installed with modern tools instead of the old goldsource interface. Anyways, currently the alpha doesn't really allow us to use it but you can already take a look on how it feels and how the interface presents itself.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        There may also be the possibility of intergrating a system where people can work on 1 map all-together, like multiplayer mapping.
        • Like Like x 2
        • Nov 11, 2011

[IMG]
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Apr 28, 2013
            Well I might get into mapping soon and I hope Sledge can be a LOT more useful than hammer especially if I can create something "very useful and probably my best project before I leave css forever".
          • May 15, 2011
            It'll be helpful when trying to teach new comers how to map. I always used Team Viewer which had it's own flaws but was the best option available. With this it'll make it a lot easier to show them how it's done, and let them take control without hassle or lag.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Feb 3, 2012
            • Feb 8, 2013
              Well, I need to try this to finally complete my map. I hope I can do that better than in Hammer.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Listen up Men!! Only if you've fought the ferocious battles in Hammer will you understand the freedoms Sledge brings to you plebs. The countless weeks and months of no sleep, entity limits, broken I/O's, they are what mold us! You HOPE you can do better? I say, how can you NOT do better?!

lol JK, I'm sure the GUI will be better. xD
            • Mar 26, 2009
              You can do stuff like this in Hammer with a patch that enables saving brushes as verticies instead of planes.

But even if you can make such things in either Hammer or Sledge, it still doesn't mean you can use them. The compile tools also round brushwork based on planes and will corrupt faces because vbsp doesn't have enough decimal precision. You'd basically need to make a new map editor and compile tools and hope that the Source engine supports having the decimal precision of brushes changed.
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Feb 8, 2013
                really sajak, this post make me laughing for more than 15 minutes (yes, make a joke with that).

And I reflected that, ofc sledge is much better (because Valve has been lazy with Hammer Fixes).