Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Resource VIDE : Another packing software for your maps.

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Si˚, Apr 23, 2012

1. May 5, 2011
    This free software is really amazing and can do a lot more then pakrat or packbsp can do. I have been using Vide and its been great, a good software to use because of the sdk update my pakrat hasnt been working. So I found out about VIDE and it works very well. Vide can pak your maps, and lots lots more :grin:

VIDE

Here is a video of what VIDE can do.

• Like Like x 5
    • Apr 9, 2007
      That has to be one of the coolest tools I've seen in a while.

Thanks!

EDIT: His site: http://www.riintouge.com/VIDE/

And just incase it ever goes down, here's 0.38 Alpha

Attached Files:

Kyle, Apr 23, 2012 Last edited by Kyle, Apr 23, 2012
    • Feb 24, 2011
      It surely got alot of features in it, although i never really liked it for some reason and stayed with good old Pakrat, it's never let me down.
      If it's broken for me aswell i'll be a very, very sad mapper :frownbig:
    • May 5, 2011

Luffaren
      Yea I would have used Pakrat too, Pakrat is easy and simple, but for some odd reason, old or new versions of pakrat will not work for me. So I found VIDE and it has been easy and amazing to use :grin:
    • May 15, 2011
      Looks neat. I'll try it out, but I to am a lover of PakRat. It would be like losing a brother. :'<
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • May 14, 2011
        This sort of thing makes decompiling and ripping maps apart easier which makes me sad as its harder and harder to protect your own map. It encourages plagiarism and things like that. I think its a great tool, its just they way a few people use it will make me unhappy. Tophatwaffles last comment, you can enlarge your custom texture library made me quite angry because making textures is time consuming and its not cool to just steal them. Maybe i'm just being pesemistic because this is a great tool for normal people but i hate people who decompile without permission.

But I love the link itself. Just had to rant a bit there.
      • Apr 14, 2011
        YAY I can Finnish Yes thats Finnish, as in the language, my map ^^
      • May 15, 2011
        I don't agree with not being able to decompile maps without permission. I personally think it's pointless to lock maps as their will always be a way to unlock them and, in fact, find it quite irritating when a map is locked. It's not that I want to steal from these maps but decompiling and exploring the map in Hammer is a great way to learn. Also, when I need to edit a map and the mapper has since left, it's only a pain in the ass. I do agree though that if you are going to edit a map, you have to get permission to edit it from the original creator. If the mapper is no longer available, then I think you can go nuts, but until then. AlthoughI can't comment on your texture speech as that is your field.
      • May 14, 2011
        Imo if a mapper wanted to share his map and wanted anyone to use it then he should be able to. Its like a patent. If you could somehow patent your work so no-one could copy it it would be great. While compiling you should be able to chose weather to lock your map or not.

Textures is a different matter, they take a long time to make, especially if your making brand new textures. A mapper can just upload them if he want to share them, like acehigh did with his pyramid escape Textures. I feel that ripping any part of a map out should be a punishable offence as you are stealing others people work. I also frown upon idea stealing as you may already know. Mapping is all about being creative and skilled. Not plagiarism.
      • May 15, 2011
        I understand, but with Gamebanana our maps are very well protected from Plagiarism. I've never seen anyone try to steal/forge maps, even the big ones like mg_lt_galaxy or mg_lt_glacier. Both of these are remarkable maps and yet not a single person has tried stealing ideas or copying from them and guess what, they aren't locked. D: What a shock. I may be pissing against the wind here though. I have never seen or heard of people stealing others maps, so to me it's no big threat, nor would it matter as imo, if they steal a map, their isn't much they can do with it. They can't post it to GB but it will be flagged immediately. They wont get anywhere as much traffic as they would on GB than anywhere else so I don't see the point or danger if they uploaded to some other site.
      • May 14, 2011

<-- Talk to the kitty man
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • May 15, 2011
          I feel violated. My words are being tweested.
          • Artistic Artistic x 1
          • May 5, 2011
            There are ways to lock your map so that even the program cant decompile it ^^ but it's a secret :wink:
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jan 28, 2012
              What are you talking about they totally are. :razz:
            • Oct 17, 2011
              Yeah you have told me about that thing already. I still did not download it yet but I will soon. I still like pakrat tho but it still gives me problems sometimes. It freezes when auto packing and makes me do everything manually.
            • Apr 14, 2011
              I can lock maps where it is every very very hard to decompile ^^

Using this editor looks confusing it needs an instruction manual