Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Video Card Help

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by DiSturbed0ne, Oct 10, 2012

1. Sep 20, 2012
    With all the pc threads lately, I could not help but ask what video card you guys would reccomend in the $150-200 price range. My pc specs

A6 processor
    6 gig ram
    1 tb hard drive
    Windows 7 64 bit
    300w power supply I believe/ will upgrade

It is an hp computer so the case itself is not to big. I am looking for a card that will run most modern games on med-high around 60 fps.
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    A 6870 for around 150-160$ is what I got. If you want though, you might find a 6950 for 200$ if you are lucky. There's also the nvidia 560's around the 170$+ price range, and a ti might be around 200 dollars or less. You'll need atleast a 450-550w psu though if you're looking for something decent.
    Post Merged, Oct 10, 2012
    Well it's been awhile since I did video card price checks, but the 7850's dropped tremendously in price, and I would definitely recommend one of them, paired with a 500w psu.
    • Agree Agree x 1
      PeNguiN, Oct 10, 2012 Last edited by PeNguiN, Oct 10, 2012
    • May 14, 2011

(fail edit on your post penguin btw)
    • Jul 14, 2010
      On a side note, what's your monitor size? Some video cards could be overkill if it was say 1440x900, 1280x1024, etc. I'll guess it's 1920x1080.

Here's a nice card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161426 the only thing about this is that it is 1gb instead of the normal 2gb so it won't be as good as the 2gb version. I'm not sure if anyone needs more than 1gb for 1 monitor or 2 monitors so you may want to look at the 2gb version though it's more expensive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129230

Those two cards are great, but if you're looking at nvidia, a 560 ti is probably what you would want, maybe a regular 560.

As for psu, I personally have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028 530w psu paired with a 6870. This won't really do crossfire or power some of the bigger cards if you're looking for something that could run with those in the future.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Sep 20, 2012
        Thanks for the quick and helpful response, my monitor size is 1680x1050. Though I do not mind playing in 720p. Sorry if my post format is horrid, typing from smartphone lol.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Guys also need to remember he has a very basic computer, so a lot of things will be overkill, and will be bottlenecked by other components. The highest you can possibly go is a 7850. You're going to need AT LEAST a 500W (I'd go with 600W to be safe) PSU.
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Sep 20, 2012
            I will probably go with the 7850, as well as a 600w power supply like Brett suggested. One more question, is switching out a power supply as simple as other components or should I take my computer to a professional? I have installed ram and video cards in the past, but have not had to replace any other vital parts.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Just use the current PSU as a guide to what needs power in your case. Take a cable out, put a cable in, it's as simple as that.
          • Nov 29, 2010

However you need to keep this in mind when you buy a psu. Never. Cheap. Out.

The PSU is probably the most important component that you need to be running at top shape. There's a lot of cheap 600w PSU's but I'd recommend getting a decently priced one.

Reason being:
            • Cheaper PSU's tend to supply weaker currents than advertised and will brown out your computer when you run graphics intensive games
            • Modularity is what you're aiming for in terms of cooling efficiency
            • Are a bitch to maintain cables since they always come in a messy bundle
          • May 14, 2011
            Why do people use the cooling efficiency argument. It's total bs. As long as you tidy your cables and don't have them on top of fans nothing is going to happen. I just rammed a load of unused cables into unused hdd slots. Keeping cables tidy is more important than having a modular PSU. Also bear in mind this won't be a showcase computer.

TBC (too much to type on my phone)

Sent from my phone. :O
          • Nov 29, 2010
            If you have a case that's designed for airflow, you want to keep the cables as far out of the way as much as possible since the way they work is through a consistent air current flowing through the case if you have a mess of cables inside the case, then you're basically interrupting the air current and leaving dead spots in the case. If you have one of those standard cases that typically come with one negative fan, then you'd give fuck all about cable management.

Lower Temperatures -> Longer lasting equipment

+Less dust to clean inside the PC.

Most mid-range and higher PSU's will be modular anyways.

Also: It's not BS since I've actually tested this myself, I have an Antec 900, when I initially got it, I didn't care about cable management until I got my GTX 470, which ran at 80-90 on average stressed and my CPU would be a 50-60

When I got a new PSU and decided to fix the cables, the temperatures went down by about 10 degrees under stress. It may not seem like a lot, but it counts.

Edit: Oh wait, OP has a standard case
            In that case (No Pun intended) I'm questioning if a 7850 will fit into that case. HP likes to make their enclosures tiny and a bitch to add new hardware.
            Clam Chowder, Oct 11, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Oct 11, 2012
          • Jun 4, 2006