Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Video card took a poop?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by secprotocol, Jun 4, 2011

1. Dec 30, 2006
    I think so. Any one else have any other solutions?

Attached Files:

2. Oct 27, 2010
    Try a different monitor maybe, perhaps try to reinstall the driver aswell.

The pattern is the odd part about this, I don't think an overheated card would produce a pattern like this but I could be wrong. Maybe try a different cable, Perhaps a severed wire may be the culprit.
  3. Sep 21, 2008
    Shit happens? :razz:

If you want I have a used perfectly working radeon x700pro I can give away. It's value as a used card is 20 bucks anyways.
  4. Nov 29, 2010
    Your video card has overheated, and possibly damaged itself.

You may need to reinstall drivers to see if that was the problem, if not, you need a new card.
  5. Dec 30, 2006
    I just updated to the newest nvidia drivers. All games does this, GTA4 and CSS. Now my desktop has the same problem and it freezes. My monitor works fine and cables work fine. Tried all that lol
  6. Aug 13, 2010
    You need a new graphics card. This would happen to me when I played maplestory on my really old computer.
  7. Dec 30, 2006
    Thats what I'm thinking. But I'm currently reapplying the thermal paste on it. On the memory, there are thermal pads, is it ok to remove that and use AS5 on it?

I have no warrenty due to BFG going under and I have nothing to loose since this card died. Might as well try. lol

Edit: Reapplied, and still happens. Looks like I'm out of the game for a while. :frown:
  8. Jan 7, 2009
    What model is the card? You might try looking around for a universal cooler, and pick up some small adhesive sinks for the RAM. And if you do get a universal one and it doesn't do any good, you can always use it for the next card ya get :biggrin:
  9. Dec 30, 2006
    Its a BFG 8800GT. Old ass sucker but still works fine for me. Looks like it's time for an upgrade...

I can't even boot into windows without seeing all the weird artifacts and shit.
  10. Dec 7, 2010
    If you persistently see the same pattern while in graphics mode it is clearly a fried RAM issue. When RAM overheats or receives a stray static charge some of the circuits will fuse together and will remain in a single state (either on or off). Since it is no longer Random Access Memory but sections becoming Read Only Memory, this is why you will see the same garbage pattern. It is probably cheaper to get a new graphics card at this point than trying to replace its' RAM.
  11. Dec 30, 2006
    Yeah I gotta look for one soon. Thanks for all the help guys! :smile:
  12. Feb 21, 2007
    yes its ur gfx card. And yes its ok to use AS5 on ur gfx card. When did BFG go under? I liked them :/
  13. May 28, 2011
    It's a very odd pattern, though.
  14. Dec 30, 2006
    I applied AS5 and nothing improved. I'm guessing something got fried already. I was wondering if the GTX 560 ti is a good replacement or any other recommendations will be great :smile:

BFG went under some time ago.

That's why I'm screwed. lol
  15. Apr 13, 2011
    A few years ago I was playing games on my computer during a thunderstorm.
    A lightning surge struck and I got all sorts of crazy artifacts/letters all over my screen all the time sort of what yours looked like.

I had to get a new computer :frown:

I hope your problem is only with the graphics card.
  16. Aug 18, 2006
    Bake it.

17. Dec 6, 2010
    ~Remember, when it's time to buy spendy electronics, buy the Best you can afford, even if it hurts a little.

You will thank yourself in the end, promise.
  18. Dec 30, 2006
    Ray: I'll try that when I get my new one in and make sure its only the video card that went out. Maybe I can post it here for everyone to see its journey. That will be interesting.

Rush: I'll try to get the best I can but I'm on a fixed budget. Plus I'm not really a hardcore computer gamer anymore.

What do people think about the GTX 560 Ti from evga?
  19. Aug 18, 2006
    I can promise you it's the video card. I had an eVGA 8800GT that went out a couple years ago in the exact same manner. I baked a laptop motherboard that was also showing this issue and it fixed it. The GTX 560 Ti is a great video card. Performance wise it's about the same as a GTX 470 except it uses less power and it runs much cooler.
  20. Dec 28, 2010
    why dont you try to update or buy a new video card unless you have a labtop.