Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Video card

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Grape, Jun 24, 2014

1. Oct 24, 2013
    I know this thread is made over and over but gpu's are always changing.
    The last time I shopped for one was a few months ago but it looks like things have really changed.
    I was wondering who is still leading, last time I remember the r9's doing awesome. I can't remember who was the best manufacturer. I have always gone for nvidia but IDGAF anymore.
    Post Merged, Jun 24, 2014
    Also I wanna do something +/- 100$ on the 300$ range.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    AMD is suffering from parity from NVIDIA Gameworks and also because of bitcoin miners that card shot up in prices in the 600$+. Best thing for the next 2 years is to stick to NVIDIA with their 700 series until Mantle proves to be everything it says it is. But at that point it's going to segregate the damn PC market since Intel won't have it.

EVGA and ASUS are great manufacturers for NVIDIA (I bought a EVGA 780 TI 3GB recently and will be getting a upgrade from them when they launch their 6GB TI card and all I have to do is pay the difference of the cards to get it)
  3. Oct 24, 2013
    Yeh i started to read the other thread you posted that in. That's an interesting thing they offer with the upgrade.
    I think I'd like a 780 but I'm not sure if I'll go that high.

For shits and giggles who was the best maker for the r9's. I'll probably stick with EVGA, I currently have a dinky 760 twin frozr but it was still an upgrade from my old 560ti which ran a loooooong time.
  4. May 21, 2014
    I have a Radeon R9 280 and I have no complaints whatsoever. Runs quiet and cool and I have all my games, to include modern ones not just CSS, running on high. Wasn't too expensive either maybe like 200?
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    What kind of monitor are you running? If you have a 1080p monitor, a 780 is massively overkill. If you have a 1440p monitor, then it might be worth it (though I can personally vouch that a 780 + 1440p monitor is the best thing ever). Planning on going 4k? Wait a couple generations until 4k gaming is worth it.

Do you plan on going SLI? Planning on upgrading?

What are you looking for? What kind of hardware do you currently have? What are you trying to do? Are you planning on upgrading in the future? etc. We need more info from you.
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    I was going to go sli but I think I am going to wait. I just bought myself a new cpu and psu so I'll let my wallet scars heal.
    I have a 1080p Asus vs247, so that's my answer.
    If you give a fuck I bought the AMD 8350 8 core and a HX850 psu, running with a m5a97 mobo. The gpu again is a gtx760 twin frozr.
  7. Jan 5, 2014
    How does the 760 perform for you? If it does pretty well, then I might hold off on current upgrades and wait for next (or next-next) generation components. I think 4k gaming is going to be amazing, might be worth saving up for it.
  8. Aug 7, 2012
    I haven't had any problems with my AMD R9 270x. It was pretty cheap once the dogecoin mining people finished buying them.
  9. Feb 27, 2012
    I've got a Asus GTX 760 and it's pretty damn good (especially for upgrading from my GTX 260 LOL)

However, i am really not a fan of it. People claim better frame rates, more stable driver, and all that jazz, but really, i don't see it. I had better experience with ATI cards (last one i used was a 6770) My driver crashes pretty often both on BETA and WHQL versions. It has improved a bit since i first got it, but it's still far more often than ANY ATI/AMD card i have ever used. Not to mention when the driver crashes when in a game, the game doesn't recover 95% of the time. Honestly, if it weren't for ShadowPlay, i wouldn't be using this card and i would have traded it out for a R9 series card. If you do decide to get an R9 card (and especially the R9 290x or higher) PLEASE DO NOT GET ONE WITH A REFERENCE COOLER. Get one with a custom cooler (aka EVGA or ASUS) as the reference cooler is absolute shit and had been recorded over 95 degrees Celsius under load.
  10. Oct 24, 2013
    Yeh I think I'd like to go with something like a r9 290 because they are really enticing.

Thanks guy.
    It works pretty well, lately I've been getting really weird drops in frame rate but I think it has something to do with my settings script. I generally get at least 120 fps, a lot of times 300-500 fps. Sometimes i've been getting odd fps's like in the 60 and 70s.
  11. Aug 7, 2012
    Good luck finding one after the Scrypt miners had their fill of the stock :/
  12. Oct 24, 2013
    I had some guy today in front of me at tigerdirect say the 270x was the best bang for the buck.
    I think it would be worth getting some kind of 290.
    New egg has them in stock
  13. Jan 5, 2014
    I think the 290 would be overkill for you, depending on what games you tend to play. Unless, you plan on going to a 1440p monitor.

What hz is your monitor running at? Because IIRC, if you have a 60hz monitor, it can't output more than 60 FPS anyway.
  14. Jan 21, 2011
    This isn't exactly accurate. If you have a 60Hz monitor and your framerate exceeds 60FPS, the game will look smother, but you may notice screen tearing. Vsync fixes the screen tearing by halting the game engine until the monitor is ready to re-draw the frame. The human eye will notice difference up to around 200 fps, though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I've been getting the same shit. 2 things that could possibly solve that in CS:S is disabling Multi Core Rendering in the video options, or removed -threads # from your launch options. I only ever used it in CS:GO, and using more than 1 core made the game have HORRIBLE frame rate drops. I'm talking down to 15 or less for like 5 seconds straight. After i disabled it, i actually gained FPS and it didn't drop like that anymore.

I have also been experiencing bad drops in other games as well (worse than it should be) so i don't know if it's nvidia putting out shitty drivers, or if it's just my computer acting up and something is dying.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      What CPU and RAM numbers pls?
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I'm only old hardware, so it wouldn't surprise me. Anyways, onwards!
      CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (not overclocked at all)
      RAM: 4GB Kingston HyperX Dual Channel DDR2 @534MHz (5-5-5-18) (1GBx4)
    • Jun 11, 2012

I can tell you the issue you're seeing is from the CPU (guess you can figure that out). You have a terrible bottleneck and I use to have a Core 2 Duo with 6GB DDR2 setup when I started playing ZE and it freaking was a terrible bottleneck on mako boss fight with increased butt laser. An pre-built i5 can handle the stupid game better than a Core 2 Quad due to the improvement on the cell.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Dec 30, 2006
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
          I figured that was it. Probably when i upgrade (whenever that is) i will get the best of my GPU.