Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Resource VMF Instance Inserter (func_instance fix)

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by nyronic, May 10, 2014

1. May 17, 2011
    https://github.com/Metapyziks/VMFInstanceInserter

I found this recently, a person named Metapyziks has created a tool to fix func_instance on unsupported compile tools. I've been using it quite a bit and it works well, it has a few bugs but you can work around them.

To download go to the link and click "builds -> latest.zip -> Raw". It includes a readme which explains how to use it.
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
      nyronic, May 10, 2014 Last edited by nyronic, May 13, 2014
    • Feb 27, 2012
      What exactly does this tool do, and what is it for? I've downloaded it, but haven't read anything yet.
    • May 17, 2011
      As I said in the first post, it fixes func_instance on unsupported compile tools.

Unsupported = All source games before L4D2 ( Like CS:S )

If you don't know what func_instance is, it's kind of like a super prefab that updates all copies of it retroactively. It supports automatic i/o renaming / no renaming / custom prefix/postfix. You make something in a separate VMF that you plan to have multiple copies of in your map. Then in your main map you create func_instance and reference the separate VMF you made. It will place that VMF as a single object into your map, which you can move around and rotate. Now say you put several of these and you want to make a change to it, but you want all of them to be changed. All you do is edit the referenced VMF and they all update in your main map.

These are just some simple examples, there's tons of stuff you can do with func_instance. It saves a lot of time.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012
        That sounds pretty handy. Will definitely download and keep this in my mapping folder. Thanks for sharing it :smile:
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Func_instance is not only useful for many copies of an asset, it also prevents decimal corruption to happen on off grid vertices. So that means that you can rotate dust2 43,65 degrees on the grid (provided you would have it as instance) and nothing would go wrong.
      • Jan 1, 2013
        It prevents corruption? Is it witchcraft? I bet I can still corrupt dem brushes huehuehue
      • May 17, 2011
        Let's tilt dust2 sideways at a 22.5d angel on both x and y.