Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Water cooling gpu's

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Ruck315, Apr 19, 2011

1. Apr 13, 2011
    I'm thinking about water cooling my gtx 580 sli setup can anyone with experience in this field please help. Really all i need to know is what all i need to buy and basic instructions on how to prepare and install.

2. Dec 7, 2010
    frozencpu.com is the original web site for liquid cooling gear. They have been around for several years and have the best stuff.

You just need a GPU waterblock for your GTX 580 and the rest of the basic accessories (i.e. pump, tubing, water reservoir, radiator, fan). You can buy the accessories separately or in a kit.
  3. Feb 21, 2007
    be sure u get a radiator that can fit 120mm fans, and should get one of the radiators that can fit 2-3 120mm fans, that will give u enough cooling power (in terms of radiator, anyways) for your gpu and cpu if u wanted
  4. Nov 29, 2010
    well, even though the 4xx and 5xx series run extremely hot, only thing you'd need a water-cooling setup is for overclocking.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    You won't need water cooling unless you've put the cards inside of a music box or something similarly small, or if you plan to overclock them (which you don't need to do unless its some kind of render farm which i know it is not). Those cards, with factory settings, will run most anything you can get your hands on and frankly overclocking them is not advisable. If your just interested in playing around with overclocking you should do it with something cheaper... You won't see improvement from the factory settings and will more than likely just ruin the lifespan of the cards.

I've used stuff from frozenCPU before and I've bought products from the Koolance company before. Both companies are very good and provide quality products. Liquid cooling provides a number of problems including, leaks, coolant levels, size, price, and the fact that they are almost always unnecessary. I would just put the parts in large tower case with good airflow and you will be good to go for several years.
  6. Apr 13, 2011
    I'm not getting water cooling for over-clocking. I'm getting it for two reasons lower sound obviously when i turn the cards all the way up to 85% speed they sound like a harrier.
    Also for heat issues when the top GPU reaches 96% or higher usage it gets up to 90c. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the hot air rising from the other card. I think if i put them under water it will eliminate both of my issues. Now if anyone has a guide or something they want to post that will be helpful please do i will be very grateful.

Thanks all
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    No, you don't need to set fan speeds for the CPUs because I'm pretty sure nvidia designed those cards to run hot. Stock fan speeds are perfectly fine and will not burn out your card.

You don't need to adjust fan speeds and you don't need water cooling because it's be a waste of money and time if you're not going to overclock.

Nvidia fermi sli cards always run hot but will never overheat. 90 is perfectly normal for the 4xx and 5xx series.

What you're doing is wasting money.
  8. Apr 13, 2011
    Ok if you say so i will leave it stock then
  9. Dec 7, 2010
    Nvidia builds their cards to run hot to reduce the life of the cards, which is fine for the most part since video card turnover is around 3 years. However if you want to keep your card for more than 3 years, it is a good idea to cool it at the max tolerable fan speeds or water cool the unit. If you want to overclock it, by all means water cool it, but understand if you do you will reduce the card life to about the same as a normal speed, non-water cooled one. In the rule of electronics, the cooler you can run hardware components the longer it will last.
  10. Aug 2, 2010
    I've had a buddy that went to watercooling for sound level reasons as well; he's regretted it ever since. He could've spent that money on better computer parts and just shut down the computer when he went to sleep, but he decided to get fancy and blow money on something that's not needed.

Whenever I'm on my workstation which is running on dual HD5970s, the noise can be a bit loud when they're on at full blast. I just turn on some music and don't even notice the noise anymore.

Spend your hard earned money on something else that'll bring a smile to your face. Watercooling is usually reserved for the extreme overclockers where they have money to burn on getting the best of the best.
  11. Oct 27, 2010
    Water cooling is fun if you want a project.

A well laid out case (cables properly stowed, no racing lights clogging up the place) with adequate airflow, with large but quiet fans will be remarkable capable of cooling a system without producing a perpetual project.